Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for the beach hunters on depth....

bugg

I'm curious what depths you guys are hitting coins in the dry sand, and also if anyone has found a 10k gold med weight mans ring , how deep could it be detected?
Thanks in advance.

thanks.

Routinely coins at a foot or so. It all depends on your settings. Small pieces of earrings at the same depth. Recovering things at 18" is very possible. Pitch hold for those deep targets will help.

16-18"(and more?) is a regular find on the wet sand/shallow water with the 17" coil, tho I admit at that depth it gets hard to tell exactly where the target first sang out to me (cause wet sand moves around and my scoop isn't 18"!). I only hunt the beach with the 17 (Excal for water). Deeper on larger stuff, of course.

10k sounds like a mens class ring and you can get those pretty deep, I'd think (haven't found one at the beach personally).

Using the 17 coil, but the sand has some moisture and is not dry, the mineralization is high here, I regularly am digging 11 to 14 inches deep and have found many other items quite a bit deeper, Ive dug large silver from 15 18 inches. The problem is when you get that depth in the sand that its hard to be certain and exact on the depth as the sand falls in or sometimes water will come in as well and then the you have to surmise that the coin was at the depth of the last scoop. This last scoop being when you heard it in the pile youve got out. Still teh holes can be impressive. I can tell you that in many cases I have found good targets in the filled in holes of other detectors because they did not dig deep enough when the sound they were digging after goes away because they disturbed the ground matrix. I always check other peoples filled in holes and dig out piles. I have 2 silver dollars from dig out piles. I d love to tell more about them but suffice it to say...dig deeper if a good signal goes away and recheck your hole.

Good luck,
Shov. .

n/t

I was about 75% on buying the large coil for the CTX before my beach trip. I am now 100% glad I did not get it because that 11 inch stock coil went deeper than I really wanted to dig in some instances. Around here, I don't see that great of depth out of the CTX and I wasn't expecting there to be that much difference down there. For example, in my soil here in TN, depending on the severity of the ground, I can get a dime with good ID at around 9 inches tops, but in some places the best I can get is approx 6 inches. When I got the machine on the sugar white sand of the gulf beaches, I was regularly digging coins and such down past a foot, that would ID right on the money and even have good target trace info. It was like a totally different metal detector. Even in the wet sand it was going deep enough that I had trouble recovering the target with the incoming water. What I started doing was taking my foot and scraping away 8-9 inches of sand BEFORE I even started to use the scoop. I tell ya...when you recover those toy matchbox style cars at knee deep in the sand, it will slab wear you out.

Daniel Tn said:
I was about 75% on buying the large coil for the CTX before my beach trip. I am now 100% glad I did not get it because that 11 inch stock coil went deeper than I really wanted to dig in some instances. Around here, I don't see that great of depth out of the CTX and I wasn't expecting there to be that much difference down there. For example, in my soil here in TN, depending on the severity of the ground, I can get a dime with good ID at around 9 inches tops, but in some places the best I can get is approx 6 inches. When I got the machine on the sugar white sand of the gulf beaches, I was regularly digging coins and such down past a foot, that would ID right on the money and even have good target trace info. It was like a totally different metal detector. Even in the wet sand it was going deep enough that I had trouble recovering the target with the incoming water. What I started doing was taking my foot and scraping away 8-9 inches of sand BEFORE I even started to use the scoop. I tell ya...when you recover those toy matchbox style cars at knee deep in the sand, it will slab wear you out.

Daniel speaks Absolute Truth. You have to have a hell of a scoop and be motivated to hunt FBS in wet sand. Many times with the 17 my first thought on seeing the 12+ depth reading was "oh no, another deep target. I'm gonna be so tired/sore tomorrow".

(also) in my neck of TN, the clay subsoil is usually at a fairly shallow depth, say 6"+/-. Coins just don't go below that and I can use the 17 as an areal coverage tool (at least where this isn't a s-ton of trash). Mostly I hunt the stock unless theres a reason to go small or large at a specific dirt site.

I have found copper the size of a small tack head at 12 inches with the 11" coil on the standard beach mode. It is an amazing machine, we are lucky to have it.

Jim

I hunt a lot of beaches here in Fl..... depth will very as will target ID depending on beach. 10" on a dime is easily do able even in the water. It seems to like those 5 grams gold rings regardless of yellow or white gold. On the beach you hunt a little different anyway......... you tend to dig everything that clearly isnt iron or a bottle cap. There are digits gold tends to hit...... 02 to 06...... 10 to 17.......32 to 37. These 5 gram rings are hitting around 8 to 10" in the water IF they get that deep before someone grabs them up. My concern was more with broken ones..... ive got a few found with the Xcal that you have to work at to air test..... again air test. How deep you can find any thing depends on your skills and good ear. On the beach its a no brainer...... but you cant really ignore targets IMO.

Dew