Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question for those with shoulder problems...

Over the past year or so, I've seen many posts about people leaving other detectors (mainly Minelabs) and going to the Deus for the weight due to shoulder problems.

As my doctor just diagnosed me with "repetitive motion injury in the anterior deltoid", I'm wondering how people who have gone to lighter machines have fared shoulder-wise. What has been the effect on your shoulder:

A) Shoulder continues to worsen;

B) Shoulder improves;

C) Shoulder stays the same - no better or worse;

OR

D) None of the above

Right now, my prescribed treatment is manual massage, electronic massage, exercises and rest. (No pain meds - Darn it! :crazy: )

Don't even want to think about giving up detecting - but I may HAVE to give up the Etrac! Your opinions will certainly help in the decision making process. Thanks for any and all replies!

Interesting question.

I have arthritis problems in knees and shoulders. However...and a BIG HOWEVER...I've been doing a regime of strengthening my muscles around the affected joints and I'm Blown Away by the positive results! It started out when I noticed my arm muscles starting to look pitiful. I'm 71 by the way and on zero meds. I wanted to take advantage of free gym membership with my medicare supplement to try to correct the "old man" arms condition. After the first week I noticed that swinging my Garrett ATX (NOW there's a Heavy Beast!) became much easier. Now after a couple of months my arms have thickened back up (I go to the gym 3 times a week for 30 minutes) my shoulders and arms and chest feel great...and I can easily swing the ATX for a good 4 hours. Still working on the knees but I suspect I'll need to cut out some weight to improve that.

Of course My doctor authorized the gym workout and I don't want you aggravating your condition unless your doctor OK's it.

Well back to your immediate concerns...I have had my Deus for just over 4 years now - January 2011 (still original batteries and still going very close to 100 %) and I just love how wonderfully light it is! Even though I can (now) swing a super heavy detector it's so nice to have a detector you can carry in a backpack and swing indefinitely! AND it pretty much is very close to the top of the heap for detecting power...just wait for update 4.0!

Joe (Ca)

2 cents more following Joe's great advice. I do a lot of beach hunting with my Excal and it really is nice when the old arm/shoulder get fatigued to switch over and use a much lighter machine for a few hours. the DetectorPro or Deus, even the Gold Bug Pro let me keep going and feel I am not risking an injury. Getting old is not as much fun as I hoped. I do have more time to do the things I am less able to do.

May I ask do you sweep the Etrac coil along the ground without any air space under it which is the way these minelabs are supposed to be used I was informed years ago from others on here.
If like most you are probably swinging it above the ground all the time with a 1-2" airgap under it like many of the other detectors people use then your shoulder is bearing all the weight. Not so bad the other lighter kinds like Fisher, Deus, Atpro etc.
They Minelabs don't like air gaps under the coil and get better readings and depth that way with no air gap better ground control sensitivity etc.
I sweep with mine and I'm 57 yrs old and what gets sore on me is the latisimus muscle which runs down the right and left sides of your back from armpit to your waist. I get sore in the midback region after couple hours. No shoulder strain at all just like sweeping a broom. I just slide the coil along the ground even if it's uneven and have it just in front of my feet not way extended out just in case for a small while I do have to lift it off the ground due to way bumpy ground so I'm not taking on anymore weight than necessary with the short rod length. If your tall than I am that's a bit of a problem I'm 5' 10" tall 70". Hope this may help out. I too weight lift and have for last 2 years knowing I was retiring and wanted to keep healthy.

My right shoulder was so bad at times couldn't lift up my arm. I couldn't sleep at night from pain. I was tired today but had a backpack on and walked 3 or more miles and my shoulder is good, tired but ok. 1 hour with the Minelab would've done me in. Hope this helps

Phillip , Repetitive motion injury is more a factor of the movement than the weight and the Deus is pretty coil/nose heavy when compared to other detectors like the F-series or the Xterras.
I would like to see a comparison of the energy required to overcome the inertia when changing direction between different detectors.
If you put that 11" coil out on a long stick it can be significantly more difficult to swing than the Minelab coil which probably actually weighs less.
Did you find the Deus that much easier to swing when you had the first one?

Previously had the 705, went to a son when I bought a CTX with 3 coils. Put up with the shoulder pain for over a year before getting a Deus and then sold the CTX.

My old injured shoulder much prefers the 705 and Deus. The 705 with a 6" coil is a little less to swing for hours but in my opinion not significantly different than the Deus.

The 705 with the right coils is very capable detector and I wish I still had the little 6" Digger coil since XP hasn't yet come out with the small coil for the Deus.

Look for a shoulder brace to use while hunting and take a ice wrap to put on right after detecting...there is a product called two old goats that is really good to put on before and after hunting. Take about three advil with some food before and after your hunt...all these things will allow you to recover faster. And it's not a bad idea to take a hot bath after your hunt with epson salt find one that has lavender look on amazon...If you only hunt once or twice a week it will really help...And I would consider the deus the 9" coil is a very good coil and very light and I love the deus it has not let me down and is deep in my ground

I've used my E-Trac for almost 7 years - it's a fantastic machine and I have no plans on selling it.
But after many years of heavy tree / timber work - after I swing my ET for more than a few hours - I feel like I have a ice pick stuck in my shoulder !

I only got my Deus a week ago - wow ... swinging this machine is like a dream come true !

I think there's a lot of people out there that will be able to pay for their Deus with the money they save on Doctor visits alone !.

I have worked at ups for 13 years and for the last 8 years I have had the same job That has a very repetitive motion on my right shoulder. The Etrac tore me up as well as the ATpro. I got the deus with the 9" and liked so I got the 11". I still get a bit wore out but I can see a huge difference that it is making. I just recently found a used but new pro swing 45. This has helped me out as well. Also try not to sleep on your side and switch arms if possible. I feel your pain it's no fun and I'm only 32 years old lol.

I also had problems swinging a 'normal weight' detector as a result of a bike accident decades ago,but over time the wrist and shoulder problems have meant that my once all day detecting session have reduced down to only half a day.

But since i bought the Deus i went with the 9'' setup but initially could not GEL with the machine,but i had no other option really but to master it,finally have tamed it and it finally become my No1 machine,also i found that by using a Detecting Buddy swing harness i can swing for even longer sessions that i had done years ago.It was a case i think of finally admitting that i did have a wrist/shoulder problem and finding a way that i could adopt so that i did not have to give up my favourite pastime.

Must admit i am really happy with the results and dont have any pain during the day nor having to take strong pain killers either.

I also bought the XP Deus because of the weight - only 2 lbs! I'm almost 75 and am undergoing physical therapy because of my hips and back. It's much easier for me to handle than my Minelab X-Terra 705. The XP Deus is not only light but very fast. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Two unhealed busted collar bones and other assorted body damage.....says it all. My CTX will be for sale soon!

Wow Folks!

Thanks for all the great responses.When I posted this, I wasn't quite sure whether to put it in this forum or the general Metal Detecting Forum. I finally decided on here because the Deus seems to have set the standard with great performance with lack of weight. I actually tried the Deus myself, but just could not get the hang of it and sold it. My shoulder has been screaming at me ever since.

I think the key may be as Joe suggested - the right exercises. I probably feel more confident with the Etrac than any machine I have ever owned. I feel like I know every way to tweak the Etrac for maximum performance in almost every situation. Sorry, I digress. this is the XP forum - and I thank you all so very much for taking the time to respond with many great suggestions and ideas.

I kind of envy you guys that have mastered or are working toward mastering the Deus. I LOVED the weight when I had one, but it was clearly not my cup of tea.

Thanks again for your responses. You have all been VERY helpful.

I too have a love affair with the trusty etrac and setting it down to use the Deus takes some commitment. After my previous post I got out the postal scale and took some weights of both coils and lower shafts which are the real culprits or factors in the swinging action. The Deus 11' coil weighs 1 lb 0.2 oz. and with standard lower shaft attached clocks in at 1 lb. 3.1oz. The etrac 11" procoil weighs 1lb even if you support the cord which of course is unrealistic but only a small portion of it is actually at the bottom of the shaft. The coil and cord weigh 1lb 3.8 oz and the entire lower shaft assembly weighs 1lb. 6.9 oz. so the actual difference in weight is only a bit over 3 ounces.
The two make wonderful stablemates

I think you have eaten to much Hatch Green Chili and your brain is fried! LOL! The Deus is an amazing detector......but then again, so was my eTrac!:confused:

BerntOut said:
I think you have eaten to much Hatch Green Chili and your brain is fried! LOL! The Deus is an amazing detector......but then again, so was my eTrac!:confused:

Well, I do love the green chili and I agree that the Deus is an amazing detector in other people's hands, just not in mine!