Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: Just found 5 quarters from Canada. What year did they quit using Silver????

bigealive

The newest one is 1961. Oldest is 1950. Got them in change from Gas station yesterday. It's not so uncommon to get Canadian coins here in MN but 5 quarters all in one till and all from later than the sixties....

Unfortunately it is illegal in Canada to melt that silver.
If I'm not mistaken its permissible in the US.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that and yes you can melt down silver coins but what's the point.

You should have asked to look through their quarters. I got a silver dime in change last week and asked. I ended up finding four more.

Chris

From the land of the Bluenose.....1966 for full silver dimes and quarters with 1967 and 1968 some having 50% silver. Five cent pieces up till 1921!

Some people sell their silver for melt. A quarter would bring about $2.50 each to buyers no matter what condition the quarter. Even if it was in very worn condition. Most often the melt price is more than the nuismatic value.
Glad you got them! HH JackinAusin

I agree with ya, cwilk. I received 2 of them (1961 and a 195?) in change then turned around and asked if she had anymore in the till with the silver edge. That is how I ended up with 5 different ones. It is a very good point. Thank you!!!! Todd

I believe up to 67 they were silver, after that crud, or clad, however you want to view it. Anyway, here's a good link.

http://www.calgarycoin.com/modern/cd25cent.htm

Here's another one. I wonder what they will make then out of next? Recycled plastic?

http://www.coinscan.com/technical/canasp.html