Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on extremely mineralized ground

I have had no problems with my Etrac until today. Me and a friend were hunting a newly disced lot with our Etracs and ran into a problem right away. We couldn't hardly find any good targets over the nulling, so we ran a magnet through the ground and found alot of bad ground ..... mineralization and very tiny iron fragments, etc. It was so bad that even if we found a clean spot and placed a coin in a hole, the Etrac would pick it up but when we covered the hole, we could only pick it up in the pinpoint mode. I had the Etrac running basically wide open in quickmask, low sensitivity, tried manual and auto sen at times, multitone and also tried 2 tone ferrous. I have never had this happen before. I know there must be an easy fix, but I am not experienced enough with the Etrac to know what it is. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Darryl

If the ground is extremely mineralized like you describe and it sounds a lot like heavy coal cinders or similar there is no fix except possibly trying a pulse induction machine.
This will hold true with any vlf machine reguardless of brand or model.

Thanks Ray,

I feel better after you saying this because I have been pulling out what little hair I have left on my head regarding this.We are going back to this spot and try and hunt it the best we can. AM two tone ferrous seems to work the best for us.

Darryl

Hi Ray, This is Mickfin I Hunted the Lot with Lake Hunter yes it is Mineralized Ground,
I ran a magnet over it wow!!! Lots of iron, We ended up going Multi tone Condactiv and uping the disc 15 Fe 25 Co going for the hi tones
I need a smaller coil for the Lot, Mickfin

Hi Darryl and Mick,

These are the type of situations in some parts of California the Explorer and Sovereign will mask out signals, both land and fresh water.

When hunting in these type of areas, You need an MXT, T-2 or F-75 with faster recovery speeds..

Sounds like you guys have more learning to do with different ground situations, MXT in relic mode will work and I think you guys have an MXT so give it a try.

Paul (Ca)

If the problem is a lot of small pieces of iron a very small coil and 2 tone ferrous in all metal manual sensitivity will help a lot.It is hard to know exactly what you are up against without actually experiencing it first hand but if it is do-able the E-Trac is capable of doing it :thumbup:

Paul (Ca) said:
Hi Darryl and Mick,

These are the type of situations in some parts of California the Explorer and Sovereign will mask out signals, both land and fresh water.

When hunting in these type of areas, You need an MXT, T-2 or F-75 with faster recovery speeds..

Sounds like you guys have more learning to do with different ground situations, MXT in relic mode will work and I think you guys have an MXT so give it a try.

Paul (Ca)

Paul,

I know we have more learning to do with different ground situations. That's why we're asking for help.:stars:

If all you have to offer is changing detector brands...... i'll pass on that.:thumbdown:

Ray, Thanks for your input. I will try what you have recommended when I purchase a smaller coil.:detecting:

I had a similar situation, the only way round it was to drop the volume gain enough so the smaller particles didn't register, some came through but it was managable for an hour, targets came through but with some depth loss, might be worth a try