Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on recovery speed and discrimination

DigDugNY

I used my equinox 800 for the first time last weekend so bare with me with my question. I used settings that I found online which was a coin program that disc'd out from -9 to 7. There's a little section of area that I've pounded to death with other machines because of all the iron nails and junk. Managed to pull out a buffalo and some kind of pin so I can't say anything negative. I noticed though that were a couple spots where it was really hard to tell if a good signal was trying to squeeze through and upping my recovery speed didn't make a noticeable change to separation. I know that could mean there really weren't any good targets in those spots, but it was one of those "what if" situations. Would it be easier for me to hunt that spot in an all metal setup with recovery speed set high? Anything else I may be able to try?

If you are just starting with this machine it may be a good idea to use the factory programs till you feel comfortable. Minelab put a lot of time and effort into them and they work very well. Once you learn more about the machine then start tweaking it to your liking. Every machine Ive ever owned (minelab or other) took a while to figure out.

Hi bud,
You are correct to mention discrim as well as recovery as discrim can obviously make the difference from finding an object next to iron or missing it altogether.
I would set up a simple test bed with examples of the targets you are hoping to find buried with different sizes of iron trash.Experimenting with different discrim settings will allow you to determine the maximum discrim you are prepared to use so you don't miss anything.You need the minimum discrim possible to help you locate targets next to iron.....slightly too much and your machine will find it hard to pick up a non ferous item that is close to a ferous one....not enough and you will end up digging everything.....its a fine balance.
This obviously means that you will end up digging some trash but i'm afraid this is still inevitable if you want the best success.

DigDugNY said:
I used my equinox 800 for the first time last weekend so bare with me with my question. I used settings that I found online which was a coin program that disc'd out from -9 to 7. There's a little section of area that I've pounded to death with other machines because of all the iron nails and junk. Managed to pull out a buffalo and some kind of pin so I can't say anything negative. I noticed though that were a couple spots where it was really hard to tell if a good signal was trying to squeeze through and upping my recovery speed didn't make a noticeable change to separation. I know that could mean there really weren't any good targets in those spots, but it was one of those "what if" situations. Would it be easier for me to hunt that spot in an all metal setup with recovery speed set high? Anything else I may be able to try?

You could also lower the recovery speed and go slower over that spot to see if the good target it just deeper. I have been finding in my tests that lower recovery speed is deeper and still unmasks good targets next to iron. So in those areas, play around and find what works. I am a beach hunter so I would of just dug.

Your problem may be with the way the machine wraps iron around........ and bottle caps and some iron showing up in the 15 to 17 digits and the deeper they are they may show in the 10 range with a good tone at around 26 occasionally. You just arent going to be able to cleanly CHERRY PICK with the digits you are using. Like he said do some experimenting with some KNOWN buried targets that you want to find and see how they react....... with less sensitivity, recovery speed, IB and your own sweep speed. You say you are coin hunting......... but what digits do your coins come in at? Id say you are hunting...... but want a little less lower trash noise. Odd to say but you might also try AM....... then reduce the iron digits VOLUME..... -9 to 0 .... and complete disc out the others you want. Iron seems to move just above the disc digits..... meaning you get the affects there. Allowing iron to make a very LOW tone to me helps.

All good advice. Lower sensitivity can help as it doesn’t allow the coil to “reach” so many targets at once. Sweep speed and angle of attack are also critical so it’ll take some experimentation to see if you can get a clean enough signal(or at least part of a signal) to dig. Repeatability must be closely monitored.