Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on signal this past week end.

tippyhound

The property my son and I are hunting dates to the early teens and so far we have found Wheaties (about 16 found so far in two trips) the earliest dating to 1910. Silver has been kind of scarce, as we have only found three Mercury dimes, and a very small silver heart shaped frat pin. It is a large property and we have only hunted less then a hundred square feet so far. Many coins are very deep, trash is minimal, but an occasional square nail and of course the forever present pull tabs shows up.

My question is about a signal I got that read FE 01-02/ CO 30. The signal was broken on one side of the swing but clear and high pitched on the opposite side of the swing. I circled the target but could not get a better signal. Target depth was showing 7-8 inches, I checked the Quick Mask function and received a very high target reading. When I dug down I found the head of a old square nail. I checked the hole with the pin pointer and received no more response. I covered the hole up and rechecked my hole with the E-Trac only to receive the exact same reading. We had been hunting for about 3 hours and I was getting pretty tired (getting up and down is not so easy anymore with my bad knees) I am usually hesitant to dig FE #'s of 01-02 so I didn't pursue it any further, but that target is haunting me. I had just prior to that dug a 1916 wheatie at 9-10"'s it to gave a very iffy broken signal reading FE16/ CO 39-40 but the Quick Mask showed it good and it paid off.

Do you think I should go back and finish digging that target again? Probably won't give me any peace till I do. Rick-Illinois

well i am reasonably new to the etrac but have tried to read as much as i can iron seems to wrap around to the 1 ferrous number and so alot of etrac owners discrim out nearly all the 1 numbers that is 01 to 1-37 keep 38 - 48 and blank out 49 and 50 01 -1 and 01 - 2 is generally silver paper grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr dont forget when discriminating this number go to the smallest icon for your crosshair which can be found in discrim edit scrolling with the top arrow on the left hand side and just work along the ones this will stop you wondering if it was a good target or NOT LOL if you go back dig it and put your mind at rest and next time you will know hope this posting is not jibberish no doubt someone more experienced will come on and give you a little more knowledge about it by the way are you working the ground difficult this is the best setting as it sees the silver better ONLY WHAT IVE READ AS SOON AS THE SNOW GOES IM IN UK I WILL BE OUT THERE TO TEST ALL THESE THEORIES HH HELEN UK

ok nows GOES4EVER has just wrote on the forum that he got a clear signal at 1.35 and pulled out a wheat so there you go i suppose it is down to do you get a clear two way sound good luck

Just go dig it up! It's most likely junk though. My experience has shown those signals are either iron falses (there could be more than just htat nail there) or it's a large piece of conductive junk.

In my experience 01-30/31 is a rusty nail, but I always dig 01-35 and up. I have found a merc at 01-38 and loads of good stuff at 01-40. If we were to just dig FE 12s then we'd miss a lot. good luck

Here's the quote to remember: "It doesn't cost anything to dig"

My own corollary to that is, if you'd don't dig it when you first come across it, your chances of finding that signal again are slim to none. I still remember some iffy signals and one under a big root from over 15 years ago that I wish I had dug and then could never find again.

sugar said:
ok nows GOES4EVER has just wrote on the forum that he got a clear signal at 1-35 and pulled out a wheat so there you go i suppose it is down to do you get a clear two way sound good luck
very true, yesterday I had a clear 2 way hit that came in at 01-35 both directions. MOST times I only get a one way hit and I have dug a lot of these only to get a deep nail, but since it hit from 2 directions nice and clear I dug it, and got a deeep 1910 wheat.

Of the 103 indians I dug this year 3 or 4 of them came in at 01-30 something. But once again they were two way hits, so from now on if it is 01-30 something and hits from 2 directions I am digging

I've dug a couple of Indians on edge (or tilted) in very mineralised soil that read that way. Just a one direction hit, but still a nice sounding hit. I would dig that up. It may be site specific on them numbers, but where I was they were Indians, so why not find out what those numbers are at your site?

Yes, I definitely dig 01 / 30 as it has the chance of being a old, worn IH.

oh boy....i just used goes4ever pattern...i passed over 20 targets that said 10-12 30's/////thought it waqs junk...but i did pull out a 1814 liberty 50 cent peice...it beautiful...will post pics.....ginger...guess i better go back to the filed tomorrow...i dont care if its raining...i have a cover...lol...ginger

have you dug that target yet we are all waiting with baited breath to see if it is gooooooooooood ot not lol

sugar said:
have you dug that target yet we are all waiting with baited breath to see if it is gooooooooooood ot not lol

I have a wife who has the same request. Says it's driving her nuts not knowing what was in that hole. It's been cold and wet every since last Sunday. Weather man says 37 degrees and sunny for this coming Sunday so the boy and I are planning on going back out there then. Will post what I find if I can find the signal again. Rick - Illinois

good on yah matey if i think i want to keep something marked i always put a stone on it always hoping someone doesnt kick it we will wait for your post but dont be too dissappointed if its rubbish its all part of the learning curve have you put a partial discrim line on number 1 ferrous yet i think it is a good idea only a suggestion happy hunting

sugar said:
good on yah matey if i think i want to keep something marked i always put a stone on it always hoping someone doesnt kick it we will wait for your post but dont be too dissappointed if its rubbish its all part of the learning curve have you put a partial discrim line on number 1 ferrous yet i think it is a good idea only a suggestion happy hunting[/quote

Ran with a discrimination line on #1 Ferrous for a long time, but was afraid I was missing some targets as some Silver Dollars will show up with low Ferrous numbers. Of course I don't run accross many Silver Dollars, can't afford to miss even one.

i know what you mean i am still looking for my first silver and gold items but here in the uk they dont seem to be as far down as 1 i hope????????????????

My plans to return to my hunting sight to check out that signal from last Sunday seems to be being put on hold by the weather man. Forecast for the next 24 hrs is snow and temps dropping into the mid 20's for Sunday. The longer I have to wait the harder it will be to relocate. There were not a lot of targets in that area and the area was pretty small we hunted. When I do get back I will hunt till I find it again. Rick - Illinois

So now we all need to take an educated guess as to what the target was/is good or bad. If its good the winner gets it, if its bad you can have it Rick.

My guess...

Shotgun shell with nail in the hole.

NebTrac

please dont do this to us again tippyhound at least with a television programe we get to see the end ok my guess will be a shotgun cartridge no nail when you doooo go back and search you will probably find a coulple of good targets and that is why you are going back its all fate lol

NebTrac said:
So now we all need to take an educated guess as to what the target was/is good or bad. If its good the winner gets it, if its bad you can have it Rick.

My guess...

Shotgun shell with nail in the hole.

NebTrac

Got up this morning and there was no snow as was forecast, it was 33 degrees and very little if any wind. Decided today was the day to answer the question about what that FE01/CO30 target was. Wife and I put on some long johns wrapped up tight and off we went.

Didn't take more then ten minutes to relocate it as we had hunted such a small area last Sunday. Read exactly the same FE.01/ CO.30. Target showed 6-7 inch's deep.

Before I tell you what it was let me tell you on our last three trips out there we have found three or four wheat pennies that had been clipped by a lawn mower, some cut in half, some just corners missing. Does that give you a clue as to what our target turned out to be? (A very small corner of a badly corroded wheat cent.) When I originally dug the target I found a rusted nail head in the hole, this time there was nothing but the sliver of a wheat cent , but it read the same as it did originally.

Now my wife is satisfied and I hope everyone else is to

We spent about a hour out there after we found the original target, and it turned out to be time well spent as we found a no date Standing Liberty Quarter on edge about 8 inch's down, a 1947 Rosie at 5 Inch's and a small broken silver ring minus the stone. There was 4 clad dimes, one clad quarter and a couple copper pennies. Was really surprised as we didn't find one (whole) wheat cent. The last two trips produced around 20 between my son and I.

The first photo is of one of our clipped pennies, the piece beside it is the FE.01 CO. 30 we found today.
The second photo is of the small Silver ring we found this morning.
The third photo is of the Standing liberty Quarter and Rosie found this morning.
The fourth, fifth and sixth photo's are finds last week. The little heart shaped Frat pin is only about 3/8 " in diameter and was 5 inch's deep. This E-Trac never ceases to amaze me.

Rick - Illinois

well it was worth the wait as it shows that this number one line shouldnt be blanked out on the low 30s which is another piece of the jigsaw part of the learning curve sooooooooooooo glad you located it and happy you got some more finds i am keeping a record of my numbers and trying to log them in my brain thankyou for the photos and the answer happy hunting