Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question on symbols on older maps

pointer80

Hi everyone, I have a question on reading info on older 1922 plat map. I was looking at a older plat map from 1922 and i noticed there are black squares on some of the parcels which I would normally assume would be where a house sat but, I also noticed the same black squares with the word res next to the little black square which I am assuming means residence. I am wondering if the black square without the word res. are something else maybe like a out building. Do you think they are all houses? Thanks for the help guys.

The black squares are where a building is or was at the time.
I have seen a lot of the Res not only by buildings, but on empty lots, i assumed it meant reserved.
This is usually when they are planning a town and selling lots.

LabradorBob

LabradorBob said:
The black squares are where a building is or was at the time.
I have seen a lot of the Res not only by buildings, but on empty lots, i assumed it meant reserved.
This is usually when they are planning a town and selling lots.

LabradorBob
I also assumed 'Res' meant 'Residence'.
Yes, on some of the old maps i looked at, 'Res' is typically next to a square dot but then again some square dots don't have 'Res' next to them.

Could a square dot with Res next to it mean a residential structure is in the process of being built?
Maybe the map makers back in the day when surveying and spotted a residential structure in the process of 'being' built, they marked it with a 'Res' square dot.
And 'Res' with no dot could of meant that the site was imminent to have a structure built on it?
Just a guess. Detailed city maps might of been different?

Grateful at least those old map makers marked school houses, churches, fairgrounds and county buildings with self-explanatory icons.

What the H is the conclusive meaning of round dots, square dots, square Res dots and Res's with no dots?
Got to rethink it all now! :unsure:

Generally speaking here, when 'res' is used it distinguishes a residence apart from out buildings and other non habitated structures. However, when you see the word 'reserve' on older maps, particularly pre 1920, hunt it. It often designated green spaces for walking, bird watching and picnicking. These areas usually in large towns or cities where not parks but often easements owned by the city. Often found along streams where naturally developed shade trees grew.

foiler said:
Generally speaking here, when 'res' is used it distinguishes a residence apart from out buildings and other non habitated structures. However, when you see the word 'reserve' on older maps, particularly pre 1920, hunt it. It often designated green spaces for walking, bird watching and picnicking. These areas usually in large towns or cities where not parks but often easements owned by the city. Often found along streams where naturally developed shade trees grew.
Thanks, for the info. Interesting!
I have to say though, of all the old maps i've seen, never seen the word 'reserved'. Then again most if not all those maps are not in or near cities but out in the boonies.
Its either 'Res' with a square dot or 'Res' with no dot with both types on the same map.

I'll watchout for 'reserved'.