Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question on TTF?

Whitetail

Hey guys, I'm a new Etrac owner(<1month) and have had some decent success. Still getting used to the unit. I have a yard that I've taken some nicer old coins out of and have been going over it with the Etrac. I have been playing with TTF and am wondering....with all the ferrous noise you hear I occasionally get that high tone, but when I go back over the area...I will occasionally get it again amongst all the ferrous tones. My question is...should I be digging that occasional high tone or will the high tone usually repeat for a good target. In otherwords do you guys try to isolate that occasional high tone and still dig it with just a single chirp...or will the high tone usually repeat in TTF similar to when you are in the coins program running Multi/Conductive? I don't mind digging and looking, but it would be nice to know if those high tones usually repeat for you guys in TTF. I just don't have enough experience with it and have dug mostly nails. What am I missing?

My success using TTF has been a repeatable tone that hits almost every sweep, and does the same when you turn 90 degrees. I think all of my one way hits/occasional hits so far have been rusted nails and bolts, etc. I have not found a single coin on edge yet so i do not know what that would sound like. Yesterday I had a 12-44 in between some iron hits and it hit one way solid and 90 degrees solid, turned out to be a 41 merc.

Watch your depth gauge while doing the "wiggle" and see if it bottoms out when you try to pinpoint. If it does , chances are you have a good target even if you only get the hit in one direction. Remember the pinpoint goes for the strongest signal not neccessarilly the best , but it's still indicative of what's under there.

TTF is an awesome way to run the Etrac in the iron. The more you use it the better you will get at pulling the keepers out. Just give it time and it will work great for you :thumbup:

in TTF I try to get signal to repeat while swinging over it several times and again after turning 90 degrees, normally if it does not repeat it is just iron falsing

Goes4ever said:
in TTF I try to get signal to repeat while swinging over it several times and again after turning 90 degrees, normally if it does not repeat it is just iron falsing

Yep! Great advice. Also if target seems to "move around" its iron.

I have found that the 90 degree repeatable rule doesn't always apply in TTF. Sometimes the iron will mask the coin from another direction (that is why I always hunt several angles when I am in an iron rich area to make sure I have "seen" everything.

I find that some coins don't "repeat" at 90 degree angles and are only visible from one angle and sometimes from only one direction.

You do have to be careful that your aren't seeing an iron halo. That is where you need to look at your ID to ensure the numbers are pretty repeatable between hits. If the ID is constantly changing or the location is moving, it is most likely iron.

I find myself digging more iron when I am not finding much and trying to "make something" out of a bad signal. You will, with practice, learn what your machine is telling you and when to dig.

Enjoy your new silver vacuum!

HH

Whitetail, the occasional high chirp are elongated iron (nails). However, if you get a one-way (sweeping say left-to-right) high tone - then dig. The purpose of turning through various sweep angles is to find that angle that intersects the coin first before hitting any iron. The E-Trac will respond to the coin if it is first in line, assuming there isn't too much other iron under the coil. Thus, small coils are best for iron-ridden areas. Note: The E-Trac will not respond to a nearby coin if the nearby nail orientation is lengthwise to the sweep (E-W nail with E-W sweep) only if perpendicular (E-W nail with N-S sweep). Instead of a high tone you will get a null (silence).

Thus, you have to constantly change the angles - ignore all the random high tones and search for ones that repeats in (at least) one sweep direction (narrow sweeps length of 2-3"). Dig those. Note: If you use DISC to quiet the nails you will miss many coins - an open screen will give the best unmasking results (and yes it is audio fatiguing to hear all the nail chirps 'n grunts, but that's how you find the non-ferrous).

You do NOT get nulls when in TTF! That is the purpose of TTF, so you can hear low grunts (iron) High tones (coins and other non-ferrous) targets. Just the other day I went to an old favorite spot in a park that has been there since way before the turn of the century. I have taken over 75 pieces of silver, a couple indian cents and nickels, etc etc. I knew that there were still some tabs there, and some minor slaw, I put my Etrac in TTF and went for it anyways. I could tell from the numbers what slaw was and tabs were, but the foils from the old beer caps were everywhere. Most of the caps were rusted away and posed no problems, But I was hearing good sounds in this one particular spot, so I cut a large plug and used my SunRay pinpointer and removed everything from the hole. After removing 7 foils I got another high sound and dug a 1923 indian nickel, and a 1916 Canadian large cent (was standing on edge) right in the bottom of the hole. The foils were about 8 inches down and the coins were at approx. 12 inche deep. Oh, and I was using the 8X6 SEF coil.........nge