Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question re EXII Std 10.5" coil

MikeK

I went and bought a coil cover for my new (used) EXII 10.5 coil and then realized it came with one one it I was tripped up because the cover has a bead of black silicone around it. Is this a factory thing or did a previous owner apply the silicone? I ask because I'd rather simply take off the cover to check for detritus inside after hunting. I won't screw with it however, it the silicone is factory spec.

Thanks, everyone, for dealing with my minutiae.

Mike

Been a couple years, but I don't recall any silicone on mine when I got it.
I don't remember any of my new machines having scuff covers sealed on.
I have had 4 or 5 gold machine I bought used where the previous owner sealed on the scuff covers. Some of those high kHz gold machine don't take to kindly getting any mineralized soil between the coil and scuff cover.
Sometimes when a machine doesn't act properly, checking for debris between coil and scuff cover is easily an overlooked thing. Some who don't check this on a regular basis might be surprised on how much can get in between there on some coils/suff covers. I've hunted with a few fellas who never thought of checking on this, or the coil wire connection tightness, or coil wire loosely wrapped where it easily moves above the coil, etc. (I like to use velcro wraps running the coil wire straight up the rod for a foot or so, then start wrapping the coil wire around the rod).
It's some of those little often overlooked items that should become routine. It's happened to myself is the reason I check more often nowadays. Or is it getting older I have more patience and take the time - bored - I dunno - but it's all good practice.

Hi all;
We have been to Minelab about 3 times and the silicone of the pan on the coil is MINELAB instructions. Sandy will tell you to avoid some problems and falsing it is to be done. We use Black 3M silicone and it can be removed but using it does eliminate a lot of funny acting signals when it gets dirty.
I would get good Auto type 3M silicone and not the house tub and tile caulk but that is just my opinion.
TO do the pan on the coil simply clean both spotless and make sure they are both dry like over night. Then install the pan and run a small bead around every lip , you can then spread it very fine with your finger and wipe off all the excess and the next day your ready to use and no more problems with dust and metalic particles in between.
Thanks and good luck
Grumpy