Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question RE: Thresh hold tone.

Monkeys Uncle

May be wrong forum...but what does it mean when there is no thresh hold tone? Hard to describe circumstance. Was hunting an old, wood frame home (burned to the ground) and rarely swung over the ground and got a TH tone. It was either screaming w/various tones or completely null (no tone at all). I began to wonder if my machine was messed up. Performed 'ground balance' to no improvement. Finally gave up and went home. Advice welcome. TIA and HH!

ETA - dug several nails, but tried to stay away from the home's foundation/footprint by detecting in the yard.

Last edited:
You were over a lot of trash and your TH tone was nulling out. Also you may have noticed your ID numbers will lock up and read the same over several different targets. Next time out try lifting the coil up and you will notice the TH tone will come back.

Hard to hunt an area like that, about all you can depend on is the target tone. For example the target tone may sound like coin and you ID numbers may be saying iron and your cursor on the screen will be in the iron area as well. So to get them all to agree with the actual tone you can get a eyeball pinpoint of the target and raise the coil up and get the TH tone back and put the coil back down on the PP area and wiggle the coil over the target and you may be able get a hint of the actual ID number.
I was doing this in curb area just a few weeks back and was able to get 8 coins out of the trash. If I can get back out I am going to hunt the area the same area the same way with the little 5.5" coil and see if I clear up some more of those ID's.

Hope that helps a little.

Ron in WV

You were over a lot of trash and your TH tone was nulling out. Also you may have noticed your ID numbers will lock up and read the same over several different targets. Next time out try lifting the coil up and you will notice the TH tone will come back.

Hard to hunt an area like that, about all you can depend on is the target tone. For example the target tone may sound like coin and you ID numbers may be saying iron and your cursor on the screen will be in the iron area as well. So to get them all to agree with the actual tone you can get a eyeball pinpoint of the target and raise the coil up and get the TH tone back and put the coil back down on the PP area and wiggle the coil over the target and you may be able get a hint of the actual ID number.
I was doing this in curb area just a few weeks back and was able to get 8 coins out of the trash. If I can get back out I am going to hunt the area the same area the same way with the little 5.5" coil and see if I clear up some more of those ID's.

Ron in WV
exactly....you need a small sniper coil like a x5 or detech eq2 6 inch .

If you use the machine with NO discrimination you will never lose threshold. Perhaps try 2 tone ferrous in that situation, working with shorter sweeps and the smallest coil you have.

Ron in WV
Great advice...THANKS! (y)(y)(y) It was definitely frustrating because I KNOW there has to be some (a little) treasure there. ;)
If you use the machine with NO discrimination you will never lose threshold. Perhaps try 2 tone ferrous in that situation, working with shorter sweeps and the smallest coil you have.
Tried that several times...got a constant SCREAM (HI TONE) and no/few digital readings. It was like I was standing on sheet metal...but it was everywhere...not just foundation area. Tested my machine in my yard this AM...all normal as designed by ML.

Great advice...THANKS! (y)(y)(y) It was definitely frustrating because I KNOW there has to be some (a little) treasure there. ;)

Tried that several times...got a constant SCREAM (HI TONE) and no/few digital readings. It was like I was standing on sheet metal...but it was everywhere...not just foundation area. Tested my machine in my yard this AM...all normal as designed by ML.
I had a homestead that was like that....it was burnt down and the plows thru the years scattered the debris all thru the area....I tried to hunt it twice but finally gave it up.
Just too much scattered , melted small pieces everywhere. Sometimes , you just got to bite the bullet....and move on.

Ya....running little to no disc in Multi Tone Conductive will make every nail scream high. Give 2 tone ferrous a shot and see if it’s better. You can run wide open with that to avoid any nulling. It’ll be a constant bum-bum-bum-bum with the ferrous items and non-ferrous SHOULD jump out pretty easily with the single higher tone.

I'm a big fan of ttf and I use it often with some success and I personally think it makes me a better hunter since it makes me slow down and work the numbers with a wide open screen.
It does work and after you make a few finds with it you will appreciate that option.

Do have a SEF 8 x 6 coil. Kinda hate to give up depth, but will try it and TTF audio at that trashy site. Thanks again. Can't just walk away from the site...as yet, have NEVER encountered a yard that didn't have some coins. :sneaky: