Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question re: Ultimate 13 Hum

tiftaaft

Hello everyone, I recently bought the Ultimate 13" coil for my Explorer SE Pro, and have been running it for the last couple weeks. Today, my lower shaft clamp failed, so I lifted it up to take a look (with the machine still on) and noticed a high pitched hum coming from the coil... I had never noticed it before, nor with my other coils, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and what the cause may be... my concerns are that it is indicating something has gone, or is about to go south with the coil...??

I walked back to my car and placed the stock coil (I had it already mounted on a spare upper and lower rod), and checked.... it wasn't humming.

I will test it out again... maybe it was a bad connection or something... and I also need to resolve the failed clamp (any suggestions would be welcomed on that as well).

On the coil... should I be worried, or is that normal?

Thanks all and HH.

Tim.

Tim,you can't have ANY coil close to your headphones with the machine on,you'll get exactly what you got. Perfectly normal...

I hope that's the issue,I've done it myself. The lower cam lock failed how? Like it's not tight enough so it doesn't "cam over" properly and grip the lower? It can be fixed with a thin piece of plastic or rubber or even paper but that might get wet...take a close look at how it works and you'll see how it can be shimmed. If it broke the pivots then you'll have to consider other things.

Tim that's normal, coils will hum some more than others ignore this. Those cams wear out, its a wear part, coils are heavy and we swing them back and forth. Just put some blue painters tape on your lower shaft to build it back up so the cam tightens again. I have had blue tape on mine for years, has held up through pouring sideways rain blowing 50 nor'easters and worse.

Trivia - my X1 probe hums so loud even I gave it the WTH look recently. lol

Ok, so here is what I know about the cam lock issue. When I close the cam lock, the lower shaft was loose enough to slide in and out like a trombone with little force. I took the lower shaft off to inspect it... and a small piece of metal fell out... see pic. I then grabbed another upper shaft with the x-1 probe mounted to it so I could try to see where the metal piece belongs... when I pulled out the lower shaft the little metal piece fell out of that one too.. @#$$%@*!!!

Now... not that this makes any difference, but both these upper shafts had the white "U" shaped lower rods in them (see pic).

So now I have 2 upper rods that when the cam lock closes, they don't "clamp".

I will keep working at it, luckily I have two other shafts, but like to have several coils mounted when I hunt, just in case I need to hot swap.

Thanks Kevin and Charles for your suggestions, I will try them out.

Tim

Tim,I believe you are trying to use an ExplorerXS lower rod which is not proper...you need the black lower. Someone correct or confirm please....

Hey, all --

Will an Explorer XS lower rod not work, and cause the upper rod cam to break? Is that what everyone is saying here? I am trying to understand, as thought they were all interchangeable?

Can someone tell me how it works? I know the black uppers work with the black carbon-fiber lowers, obviously. I THINK the cream-colored uppers work with black carbon-fiber lowers -- that's how the Explorer two was equipped from the factory, right? Or, is there a DIFFERENT cream-colored upper that was only used on the S and XS, DIFFERENT from the one on the Explorer 2, that worked specifically with the cream-colored lower rods like Tim has on his 13" coil?

In other words, what combinations will work, and what ones won't?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve...EX2 had cream upper black lower. S and XS had all cream color. Not positive on the SE... not of sure of all the combos but I think what you stated may be true about why the cams fail when using the ones not designed for the application.

Well, my stupidity has been sufficiently pointed out.

If anyone is looking for me I will be the guy in the middle of a dry field holding an ultimate coil up to my earphones with a fully collapsed white rod into my SE Pro. Thanks find mall!. ;)

tiftaaft said:

If anyone is looking for me I will be the guy in the middle of a dry field holding an ultimate coil up to my earphones with a fully collapsed white rod into my SE Pro. Thanks find mall!. ;)

:lol: Is that all ya got? You ever read how I was using my IDX and turned it off to talk to a guy? Finished the talking and started walking...realized quite some time later that the machine was STILL OFF! Oh I have many others,but I'd like to save those for later...

IDXMonster said:
tiftaaft said:

:lol: Is that all ya got? You ever read how I was using my IDX and turned it off to talk to a guy? Finished the talking and started walking...realized quite some time later that the machine was STILL OFF! Oh I have many others,but I'd like to save those for later...

I was detecting with the switch turned on to my SunRay probe and was wondering why, after quite a while, I wasn't finding anything.

Oh no!!!!!!! That was one of my " other stupid things" I've also done!!! Doesn't that just SUCK?? I use a method now to avoid that and I'm VERY conscious of where the switch is...

I did even worse i think, one day i goes very early at the beach on dry sand with my previous Ace 250, i don't slept the night due to internet search about beach i wanted to try the dectector the same day but i got it late so i don't slept searching online.... So when i was there at the beach (1h driving) i started to use the detector normally but after few time pinpointing i pressed turn off button due to mistake and i continued detecting.... after like 10minute walking i watch the screen it was off i thought the detector was dead when i pressed the button it goes on perfectly and maximum 5minutes after i found my first gold necklace :blink: i thought it was a fake one but not after analysis it was real gold one :) that is my first day detecting :)