Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Question: When changing the coil on the 6000 XL Pro, does this affect the

Kelley (Texas)

correct I.D. reading on the meter? I do know that it will affect the depth readings by showing the target to be deeper than it actually is when using a smaller coil. I can not find anything that addresses whether or not the meter will accurately I.D. the target with a smaller coil. Kelley (Texas) :)

if the operator doesn't move the coil far enough off-center before pulling the trigger toggle into Pinpoint.

Also, they can all read incorrectly if the Signal Balance is not set at a point that produces a 'proper' Coin Depth Reading in the Pinpoint mode.

A good rule to follow might be to double check the coin depth reading before you start hunting a site, but after you have set the controls where you want them. That way, you will know that the particular coil in use and the Signal Balance setting adjusted will show a depth ox 'X' wover a coin on the ground that is a determined disytance from the coil.

If you toss a penny on the ground and, once ready to hunt, you try to Pinpoint it with the coil at 6" ... note the indicated coin depth and base your finds upon that. If a coil height is 6" but the Coin Depth reading says 4", then keep than in mind when inthe field.

Oh, another 'tip'. If you're not sure how 'deep' 6" is, just pull a $1, $5, or other bill from your pocket and use it. They are just slightly more than 6" in length.

Here's a third 'tip' to consider. Practice your pinpoint technique on a surface penny. remember to start with the coil's edge a few inches away from being in-line with the coin. Also remember to properly center the coil to get the most accurate Coin Depth reading.

If you control the coil's height so that the coil is 6" from the penny, adjust the Signal Balance so that you get a 'proper' 6" Coin Depth reading when you pinpoint.

Note that spot on the Signal Balance control. Then, when in the field, if you make a quick adjustment of the Signal Balance control to that setting if you are really that interested in getting a close-to-accurate Coin Depth read-out. When done, retunr the control to the seting you're hunting at.

Monte

Hi Kelley. I find the meter ID readings to be highly accurate with all coil and sensitivity settings. As you point out, coin depth readings change a fair amount, deeper readings than actual when going to a smaller coil or lower sensitivity setting.

In fact, I've also noticed that the meter ID reads identically in TR disc as well as the other modes. This consistency in the meter ID readings is really quite amazing and should do wonders for your confidence using your machine. Just remember that the needle will "bounce" around differently in different modes, GEB Disc for instance seems to make the needle bounce around a lot more than TR Disc., but once the needle locks on to a particular target, the indication should be identical.