Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

question

nicrasmit1

Just found out I am getting a CTX and just had a couple questions. How is the weight & balance of the machine? Are there any recommended upgrades? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The great balance of the machine makes its weight immaterial. I'm 71 and can swing for three to four hours straight! As far as upgrades, any updates are most likely installed by the dealer. Good luck and happy hunting.

nicrasmit1,
Contrats! Someone must like you. :)

Yes, the balance of the machine is excellent, and hides the weight quite well.

Upgrades you might consider?

Well the single most important thing you need to do:
Minelab generally did an excellent job on the detector...but they did an 'epic fail' by not including a printed manual. (It's on CD only)
Take the CD to a copy shop and have them print out the manual for you. It's a great resource, and you'll want to read and re-read it.
(and underline, circle, and make copious notes in the margins)

And, there's the typical 'any detector' kind of stuff:
A soft carrying case.
A screen protector to protect from scratches.
There are a couple of companies that make covers to protect the control box...easy to find on eBay.

Then, CTX specific:
Andys new CTX book that just came out.
The other two coils (6" and 17") are nice to have, of course.

Then, a general tip:
There's been a lot of observation that the rubber CTX hand grip (and screen, for that matter) can 'dissolve' if you use bug spray, or hand lotion...those that have no problems typically use a soft glove on the swinging hand.
(Or simply avoid getting plastic dissolving chemicals on your hands or detector.)

Have fun, and enjoy your new machine.
:)
mike

trojdor said:
nicrasmit1,
Contrats! Someone must like you. :)

Yes, the balance of the machine is excellent, and hides the weight quite well.

Upgrades you might consider?

Well the single most important thing you need to do:
Minelab generally did an excellent job on the detector...but they did an 'epic fail' by not including a printed manual. (It's on CD only)
Take the CD to a copy shop and have them print out the manual for you. It's a great resource, and you'll want to read and re-read it.
(and underline, circle, and make copious notes in the margins)

And, there's the typical 'any detector' kind of stuff:
A soft carrying case.
A screen protector to protect from scratches.
There are a couple of companies that make covers to protect the control box...easy to find on eBay.

Then, CTX specific:
Andys new CTX book that just came out.
The other two coils (6" and 17") are nice to have, of course.

Then, a general tip:
There's been a lot of observation that the rubber CTX hand grip (and screen, for that matter) can 'dissolve' if you use bug spray, or hand lotion...those that have no problems typically use a soft glove on the swinging hand.
(Or simply avoid getting plastic dissolving chemicals on your hands or detector.)

Have fun, and enjoy your new machine.
:)
mike
What Mike said about covers it, and like someone else mentioned the software updates are most likely going to be already installed before delivery, but it couldn't help to check to be sure you have it.

nicrasmit1 said:
Does the wireless unit come with the detector? Or does that need to be purchased separately?

Depends on which configuration you buy (or is bought for you). It's available both ways. (w/o is obviously a little cheaper)

If it doesn't come with the external wireless module (for the headphones to plug into), you can simply purchase one later...the detector already has the wireless capabilities built-in.

mike

I don't think Minelab sells the version without the WM-10 anymore

Just bought one 8/1 from North Georgia Relics and it came with one. Don really
worked with me on this and I appreciate all he did. GREAT machine.

nicrasmit1 said:
wasn't sure I was lucky enough to win one from the Kellyco dig and donate contest and was not sure what it came with.

Congrats on the win.....

I just bought Andy Sabisch's new book "The CTX 3030 Handbook" it is well worth the cost! 187 pages, 8.5x11"...

Don't go near water with stock gaskets. The usb port has an aftermarket one and battery case has one. Just use google. The USB port needs to be snug too make sure it's tight when you take the cap off. You will see what I mean. Andys book already mentioned.

Biggest thing is read lots. Manual cover to cover at least two times. And really look into gasket upgrades. It's either that or don't get it wet at all. Also...one last thing on cleaning. Don't use oil based chemical or ammonia based. Windex multisurface good to use. And silicone divers spray. It's a machine you will need to clean every use from sand so it does not freeze up.

Having a great time with mine this year. Just a lot of tlc. High-Joe