Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick hunt in the city park with the Racer, Deus and E-Trac

Southwind I think the fact you used the etrac to find the target to begin with says volumes here , not that you wouldn't find it with the Racer , but that you may have to dig/mark multiple targets with the Racer and not have nearly the success ratio of good to bad results as you do with the etrac. You have made the point several times that knowing WHAT you are digging is more important than just digging targets due the constraints of time and energy---I agree.
However , from what I have seen thus far in these anecdotal tests , the Racer appears to report a much great percentage of undesirable targets as good and while people are tickled to find stuff they missed with previous detectors , it also appears they're digging far more trash than they were before and are failing to mention that. The best test once you master the "nuances of simplicity" in discerning a good 82 from a bad 82 would be to actually do a hunt where you dig 20 "good" targets with each machine and compare the percentages. I will be especially interested in the results you achieve in a park with modern trash in the foil/tab/nickel/gold area with the Racer which should be superior to the etrac since it is a high frequency machine

You may be right only time will tell, but, ONLY in the city park did I use the E-Trac to find targets to test the Racer on. When hunting the other sites I used the Racer only and really didn't have a problem with it hitting junk as good. Not being familiar with the Racer did have me digging more junk but it was a matter of needing to learn by digging more than anything. With any new detector you've got to dig some trash before you know what not to dig.

In the city park the coins are deep, and I do mean deep. I can show you areas where the coins are at least 24" and more. Of course those remain buried. For now! LOL. I used the E-Trac as a leader detector because I have been using it for 6 years and know it well and know it gets deep. I don't have quite as much time on the Deus. The E-Trac I feel very confident in my ability to get very deep because I do it almost every trip. My hope is to use that experience to save some learning time on the Racer. If I use the E-Trac to find those extreme coins I can then check them with the Racer and know quicker what good is like on the Racer.

The Racer is a noisy machine. I call them Rice Krispies because they contently are snap, crackling and popping LOL. The very reason I don't own a F75 SE. My back ground comes from using Garrett and White's machines. Well, at first it was Tesoro's Inca and Mayan's, but come the advent of VLF Discriminators I went to Garrett and then White's. Both smooth threshold type detectors. For many years getting the best depth was a matter of having a very stable threshold so as to hear even the slightest change indicating a target. I could just never adapt to the Rice Krispies. The Racer is borderline for my likes. If you GB properly and don't get crazy cranking up the Gain the Racer is not bad at all as far as being stable yet very deep. Kind of like the Deus in that it can be a little noisy, but for the depth and sensitivity I think it is worth it. Get out in an open field and the Racer is smooth as silk.

Some people just cant stomach the fact that a machine at a fraction of the price is just as good if not better. They need to justify to themselves why they spent over a grand. Funny but true. They think the Ecrap is a magic wand. At least thatd what my experience has been with Etrac users.

A very good comment, Southwind, and I am enjoying your reports of field performance.

Monte

Southwind said:
You may be right only time will tell, but, ONLY in the city park did I use the E-Trac to find targets to test the Racer on. When hunting the other sites I used the Racer only and really didn't have a problem with it hitting junk as good. Not being familiar with the Racer did have me digging more junk but it was a matter of needing to learn by digging more than anything. With any new detector you've got to dig some trash before you know what not to dig.

In the city park the coins are deep, and I do mean deep. I can show you areas where the coins are at least 24" and more. Of course those remain buried. For now! LOL. I used the E-Trac as a leader detector because I have been using it for 6 years and know it well and know it gets deep. I don't have quite as much time on the Deus. The E-Trac I feel very confident in my ability to get very deep because I do it almost every trip. My hope is to use that experience to save some learning time on the Racer. If I use the E-Trac to find those extreme coins I can then check them with the Racer and know quicker what good is like on the Racer.

The Racer is a noisy machine. I call them Rice Krispies because they contently are snap, crackling and popping LOL. The very reason I don't own a F75 SE. My back ground comes from using Garrett and White's machines. Well, at first it was Tesoro's Inca and Mayan's, but come the advent of VLF Discriminators I went to Garrett and then White's. Both smooth threshold type detectors. For many years getting the best depth was a matter of having a very stable threshold so as to hear even the slightest change indicating a target. I could just never adapt to the Rice Krispies. The Racer is borderline for my likes. If you GB properly and don't get crazy cranking up the Gain the Racer is not bad at all as far as being stable yet very deep. Kind of like the Deus in that it can be a little noisy, but for the depth and sensitivity I think it is worth it. Get out in an open field and the Racer is smooth as silk.

I agree about digging unknown targets early in the learning curve which is why I think it will be interesting to see how this changes , if at all , as you become more adept with it. I'll look forward to a reverse type test down the road.

I think what's more important here (then arguing about how to configure the Etrac, everyone will have their own opinion on that) is that the Racer hit the 10" deep wheatback with a good TID/audio response!

Southwind, what was the mineralization pie chart reading when you were testing this 10" wheatie? It looks like about 25% in the video, but I can't tell 100% :shrug:

Thanks for sharing the test!
Brian

Southwind said:
In this case it just so happened the Tracer gave the better response. If it helps at all I used the E-Trac to find the deep wheat in the first place. I'm not familiar yet with what to listen and watch for on the Racer so I'm using a detector I'm very familiar with, the E-Trac, to point me to the deep ones then seeing how the Racer responds.
Yep, that's the best way to do it when checking out a detector against one [size=small](or more)[/size] that you are already comfortable with.

Southwind said:
My plan was to find a target at the very limits of my E-Trac's ability and see how the Racer and Deus stacked up. It just didn't turn out how I expected.
Good plan, for sure ... and results pretty much as I, and a few others, might have guessed. Dollar-for-dollar the Racer, and FORS CoRe, are serious performing detectors at very affordable prices.

Keep up the field time and reporting. :thumbup:

Monte

Southwind,
I find your efforts/videos commendable. I can say this. The etrac lovers or Deus lovers won't like it but oh well. The Racer with stock coil and small coil will see nonferrous items that neither the etrac any sized coil and Deus with any sized coil can not see. I have witnesses this with Deus with both 11" and 9" coils comparing to CoRe unit. Southwind it looks like you're going after depth comparisons, and that's fine. I think when you start finding the test rat targets with Racer and then apply Etrac, then you will start noticing the etrac won't produce(blinded). The Racer can unmask/separate targets better than Etrac; especially in iron/nails. I look forward to more of your test/videos Southwind.

ps In your 10" wheat video. The penny may have been masked a smidge causing the etrac to struggle a bit vs Racer. The trouble the etrac had may not have been attributed to depth at all. Remember neither you or your bud felt 100% on the target. How did you feel after running Racer over it?? Better didn't you. Definitely lessened the possibility of being deep iron didn't it.

How did you feel after running Racer over it??

Very surprised. Both of us! In fact, I said holy Sh&t hear that? I made the remark to John that it sounds so much better on the Racer than the E-Trac that if this turns out to be a coin I'll be impressed. Although buy this point I was already impressed with the Racer.

And you both had already busted this place with etracs?? The target was not discovered until just the other day. I'll be honest. These Turkish units are sorta strange. It's like they transmit a narrower beam or something. It seems rust flakes, iron flakes, just small metallic/nonmetallic particles don't upset the apple cart so to speak. I know you've watched some of Mr Flynn's videos. I just can't understand how for example both the CoRe and Racer can ID so well a coin. When you dig, a lot of times you wind up taking pinpointer and combing the different small particles of junk. And in the end the coin is there. It's miraculous to me and I know Jack. Now I've and I know you have pulled nails out of holes digging for coins minelabs have detected. I have too. But to see so many mind you not real deep 4-7" coins laying around old polluted walkways/sidewalks where a many of detectors with all sizes if coils have been, and the coins are still there. And I believe the CoRe and Racer units with small coils are not getting them all either but will get their fair share. When you do your next videos try and bob the Racer coil over the ground and comment/show mineral pie graph. I'm curious. It sounds like your ground isn't too hot. But would like to know. Keep up the good work. I'm with you all the way. I may learn something.

The Dark said:
Some people just cant stomach the fact that a machine at a fraction of the price is just as good if not better. They need to justify to themselves why they spent over a grand. Funny but true. They think the Ecrap is a magic wand. At least thatd what my experience has been with Etrac users.
I could care less how much I paid for my Etrac. All I'm sayin' is to get the most out of it or any detector with''Tone I.D.'' you should run as little disc. as possible and let the Tones and Modulation decide what to dig. That's detecting 101.

to get the most out of it or any detector with''Tone I.D.'' you should run as little disc. as possible and let the Tones and Modulation decide what to dig. That's detecting 101.

LOL you obviously have never hunted a park like ours. And no it isn't detecting 101. You adjust according to conditions. That is detecting 101. You're quoting from the beep-n-diggers handbook. Not everyone is a beep-n-digger. You run an open screen in our park and you'll get 15 signals on every swing. Yea, beep-n-dig that and you'll be lucky to get 5' in two days LOL.

[/quote]On the Racer I do nothing but turn it on and ground balance.[/quote]

Guy's if you want a complicated machine, do not get one of the Turkish machines. I'll have cleaned out an area while you are still trying to figure out if you have the correct settings while walking over good targets.

Southwind said:
to get the most out of it or any detector with''Tone I.D.'' you should run as little disc. as possible and let the Tones and Modulation decide what to dig. That's detecting 101.

LOL you obviously have never hunted a park like ours. And no it isn't detecting 101. You adjust according to conditions. That is detecting 101. You're quoting from the beep-n-diggers handbook. Not everyone is a beep-n-digger. You run an open screen in our park and you'll get 15 signals on every swing. Yea, beep-n-dig that and you'll be lucky to get 5' in two days LOL.
I hunt some of the trashiest parks in Chicago Dude and I run my disc. line to 28 and that is it. I do use the 4 Tones instead of Multi so maybe that helps. I been using Tone I.D. Detectors for about 16 years so maybe I'm used to all the noise. But that is the way I hunt so to each his own.

LOL, Jack is right. No fooling around. Flip power switch, select 3 tone, ground balance or turn tracking on and hunt a lot of sights. And the adjustments are easy if you desire to change settings. No menus to fumble through, no confusion, no wondering gee, did I have my settings right?? Folks I won't say but there are some detectors you'll spend more time adjusting and wondering than you will hunting effectively. No ands, ifs, buts, or howevers. Welcome to 21st century detecting.

Harold I think it's a matter of how people like to hunt, cherry picking with the understanding they will miss something possibly. I'm an audio hunter 99%. Then use the TID for that second confirmation of dig or no dig. With the Turkish machines you can hunt with blindfold on almost. The sound is so distinct to me when the coil rolls over a good target, with good headphones mind you.

I have a few friends that use Explorers and Etracs, and they all run disc patterns on their machines. They do very well in trashy parks plucking out deep silver that others have missed, so I think it's all a matter of how you want to hunt, not so much right vs wrong.

The fact that the Racer clearly heard the 10" deep wheatie is, IMHO, the real take back on this post :clapping:

I think you'll find deep dimes can be discovered with etrac with quite a bit of disc (black) on the screen in lower mineralized soil. In hotter soil this may change. The ferrous number will be driven down on deeper targets. There are 2 questions about the park's soil I would like to know. How high does the etrac track in auto, and how does the pie mineral graph look on the Racer bobbing the coil.

I hunt some of the trashiest parks in Chicago Dude and I run my disc. line to 28 and that is it. I do use the 4 Tones instead of Multi so maybe that helps. I been using Tone I.D. Detectors for about 16 years so maybe I'm used to all the noise. But that is the way I hunt so to each his own.

Sorry but I'm a very selective hunter. not a beep-n-dig. I'f I'm going to bend over it's going to be worth it. I did my time of digging every little peep and pop for 20 years. I'm well over it. I started using tone ID when I first got my Minelab SE roughly 15 years ago. Before that I had detectors with tone ID but never used it. I'll shoot you a video to give you an idea of just how insane running an open pattern would be in our park and then you'll can decide LOL. I get at most an hour or two to hunt when I got hunting and I'm not about to spend it chasing trash. I come home with keepers for my short time and that is how I plan it.

Like JFlynn suggest, I am a cherry picker to the max. You're welcome to walk behind me and pick up all those keepers I'm missing. It has been tried before LOL.