Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick hunt with a cameo jewelry find

DJB_78_0844

I was able to get out in between rain storms and went to a place that I thought an old house may have sat on. I didn't find much except for a lot of can slaw and buried soda cans. I did pop this beauty out. It was only half an inch deep and has a hallmark on the back that looks like its "800" with the last 0 cut off. I'm not sure if its old or a modern piece. Still a cool find though.

Very Nice Find. Congratulations.

Man awesome find. The number 800 is the metric equivalent to .925 roughly. Once they started the sterling standard, they affixed silver % to the pieces. Very envious of that find!!! Way to go

Flanaganj25,

Thanks for the information on the silver markings!

Flanaganj25 said:
Man awesome find. The number 800 is the metric equivalent to .925 roughly. Once they started the sterling standard, they affixed silver % to the pieces. Very envious of that find!!! Way to go

I'm confused. .925 is the fraction of an item that is silver . . . equals 92.5%. How is there a metric equivalent of a fraction? Please elaborate.
:shrug:

-pete

"800" is a bona fide marking of silver, and it indicates 800 parts silver in 1000 parts overall....so, an object marked 800 has less silver content tahn an object marked 925 (presuming that the marks are genuine). Still a very nice find, but not sterling silver.

Furious T said:
"800" is a bona fide marking of silver, and it indicates 800 parts silver in 1000 parts overall....so, an object marked 800 has less silver content tahn an object marked 925 (presuming that the marks are genuine). Still a very nice find, but not sterling silver.

So 800 means 80% silver. OK, I get it.

-pete