Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Quick Mask??

Ken in Georgia

Who is using their Quick Mask? And Why? What setting are you finding work best for your area? I see a lot about small coils, but nothing on the quick mask to help them find coin's and relic's.

I use it at the park on targets in high trash areas that are either very iffy, or that thunk-out on me because it's nulling on trash over or near the target. Whenever I see the lines 1-12 Fe, and 36-49 Co I open Quick Mask just to see how much junk is under the coil. If it's screaming and all over the place I'll dig it. I've found that most times once I remove the plug and rescan, the good numbers the machine was seeing intermittently will now be clear if some of the junk gets removed in the plug. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but I've found silver doing this. The machine doesn't lie. If it sees something "good" it will tell ya, but it can be fooled sometimes. I err on the side of caution and dig. Why pass on a chance to find something good just to save a minute? :)

ronfin said:
I use it at the park on targets in high trash areas that are either very iffy, or that thunk-out on me because it's nulling on trash over or near the target. Whenever I see the lines 1-12 Fe, and 36-49 Co I open Quick Mask just to see how much junk is under the coil. If it's screaming and all over the place I'll dig it. I've found that most times once I remove the plug and rescan, the good numbers the machine was seeing intermittently will now be clear if some of the junk gets removed in the plug. Doesn't work 100% of the time, but I've found silver doing this. The machine doesn't lie. If it sees something "good" it will tell ya, but it can be fooled sometimes. I err on the side of caution and dig. Why pass on a chance to find something good just to save a minute? :)

open quick mask or are you removing the nails?

Ken in Georgia said:
Who is using their Quick Mask? And Why? What setting are you finding work best for your area? I see a lot about small coils, but nothing on the quick mask to help them find coin's and relic's.

Hi Ken.....Re Quick Screen; why and how I personally use it.

It is a bit mis leading to infer that I dogmatically hunt in a particular way, when in truth I fluctuate my methods dictated by the situations of searching.

Generally,I hunt in Ferrous audio mode, Pitch hold, manual sense...about 24 in 'open' field situations. Screen?...Smart Screen.with masking set for

Fe35 to 27 reject and a 1 point 'frame' around the rest of the Smart screen, minus a 'hole' in the Conductive 35 to 50 for possible 'big silver'.

The Quick Screen is left wide open for 'checking' the existence of iron nearby when I've been signalled an 'iffy' good target, but its Fe is in the 'limbo' region of Fe 15 to 27.

No desirable targets have a true Fe of less than,say...Fe 15, so a target with higher Fe's ( 15 to 30) are artificial in the sense that they're a COMPOSITE of either circumstances...DEPTH in high ground Fe mineralisation...or....combination of two or more targets....ferrous and non ferrous.

BUT...you have to be aware ..THAT IF YOU TRY TO DIFFERENTIATE FE targets from NON Fe....USING PIN-POINT....THEN THE IRON TARGET WILL overwhelm ANY nearby 'good item', which may fool a novice into thinking that it was an iron target simply 'falsing'.....?????? Take care...Is it the iron piece responsible for diluting the composite signal.??? You MUST diligently and patiently pursue matters.

So when using 'quick-Screen' to analysed...remember the tendency of the cursor to flick down to Fe 35, can be mis-leading to the un-weary. If the targets are spaced by LESS THAN HALF the head's DIAMETER....then your detector will have little hope of separating them. ( The latter factor of separation is ALSO a function of circuit design....Fast Recovery on the E-Trac)

(IF YOUR SEARCH-HEAD CAN'T / DOESN'T RESOLVE the SPACE BETWEEN TARGETS, THEN ANY ELECTRONIC MEANS, (differentation) WILL BE A COMPROMISE; AND POTENTIALLY PRODUCE A CHATTERY AUDIO.) Fishers are a typical example...

So use of the QUICK-Screen meaningfully, as an analytical aid...., is allied to you experience.
Now...after years of detecting...I am willing to take my time; and on iffy, but audibly repeatable signals, I quickly remove co-located iron, and then pursue the 'good' target that's added its competent and 'moved' the combined signal into the limbo region.

Sorry for the brief reply, one could fill a forum on this subject.

Hope what I've 'scribbled makes sense.....Matt

I am not a big fan of the Quick mask function, mainly because IRON will always overwhelm the signal if they are located together or real close. Sometimes you can separate the targets in Quick mask if your really precise with your coil.
Smaller coils should make Quick mask more reliable. I have learned to trust my disc, if it gives you any kind of a good signal with IRON discriminated out then its worth investigating.

Djay

Ken in Georgia said:
ronfin said:

open quick mask or are you removing the nails?

I open it to see all the targets. If it's overwhelming and there are multiple targets screaming all over the place, I'll dig the plug if there's a hint of something good. Once the plug is dug sometimes you've removed a lot of the junk, or even the signal you're looking for, and then it's easier to find.

I use quick mask to hunt in most of the time and a good Friend does this too as we like to hear whats all in the ground as it helps getting those coins in with the iron., Both of us use it with the ferrous set at 22 as we find that most smaller iron is disc out as nothing good has been found if the numbers are higher than 22 while the conductivity set at 10 so we hear what is going on. Now what is nice is we find while in the quick mask if we get any iffy signals we can raise or lower the ferrous or conductivity any time while swinging the coil to check out the target better and if it is one we want to check out more.

Thanks to all the replied !!!!

What a great thread! Great info for us learning the machine. I had wondered about those jumps down to Fe 35 when I go to quick mask. They can't all be iron and it makes perfect sense that iron can overwhelm the target. I have been running with fast off (slower sweep speed to compensate) and had done a ton of signal comparisons with it on and off and never lost a signal with fast off, but I think on those deeply buried targets in iron, I might get different results and perhaps fewer jumps to Fe 35? Back to the drawing board.

Today I dug two coins at 7" and 8" that were in very heavy iron. I got them on video and will post them when I have them edited. I was getting very solid Fe readings in the 20's from a few directions on one of them and after pulling both targets I rescanned the holes and both were just full of iron on all sides as well is within. What I see you experienced with the E-Trac posting here, I think I got a taste of it today. I also realized (again) how dangerous relying on pinpoint can be, as iron does indeed take over.

I had picked most of the easier targets at 6" - 10" at this spot and now have just started to go back through, go slower and investigate more. My learning is on another level as it takes a fair amount of work/investigation.

ronfin - Very interesting regarding the range of Fe and CO numbers that cause you to just dig a plug - quite ingenious, I will have to play with that.

Marshal - interesting how you hunt in Ferrous and block the lower range out. Makes sense as any target in that unblocked range (down to 27) can be a coin. I have only played with Pitch hold.

Brilliant replies, thanks so much for sharing this guys,
Albert

I started use the quick mask and boy what a difference. I am using at some point all the information here and will try it a see what works for me. Thanks to all !!!:please: