Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

R & B Li-ion Batteries

MadmikeCanada

Has anyone here tried the R & B li-ion batteries that they have on the kellyco site with the whites detectors? Just wondering if they are worth the $$$$

They are not worth $179 to me.

I would llike too have one for my DFX and my Classic V. They last alot longer than a Nimh. although a lil expensive(includes everything too charge it) it is not much more than the whites nimh HD pack,charger and cradle.
I use a 5000Mah 2s1p lipo pack in my rc car and it gets 20+ minutes of run time and a Nimh pack of same Mah get 4 -5 minutes. granted an rc car with the high end speed controller can deliver boosts of 750 amps and constant amps of 500+. Extremely higher than any MD would use, but you get the idea.
If I had that pack I would use my specific RC Car charger too charge it, which I also use too charge my White's rechargeable pack that I had.

Worth the money? Not when you consider a Christmas sale on the White's NiMH battery system coming up soon.............................. a little birdie told me.

It's very easy to get caught up in spending more on something that is overkill on "what it actually does for you". In the largest stretch of my imagination, I can't see a benefit over a similar set up as mine.
1. The system that came with the V3i.
2. An extra battery (NiMH)
3. Rechargeable NiMH 2700 batteries and charger. (Use these for household needs also and rarely with a detecting outing.) My 2 orange packs service a big day out if...
not using TX Boost much and not having another machine going.
4. Blue packs with alkalines. (Try never to use these.)

My set-up is still overkill, has other uses, and is less expensive. (Heck....there is still budget room for an inverter.....and all your charging/electrical needs get serviced.)

nw1886 said:
It's very easy to get caught up in spending more on something that is overkill on "what it actually does for you".

Well said nw1886. I was also looking at setting up a Lipo battery pack to use with my V3i. I have experience with those batteries and know they have a tremendous power density advantage and could probably power the V3i for a good 24 hours if done right. But as you said, is the overkill worth the expense? I came to the decision that it was not. So far the stock rechargeable pack with 1800mAh batteries have been enough for how I use my detector. I keep alkalines in the spare pack as back up. I will put fresh alkalines in the spare pack once a season if I don't use them and more often if needed. The batteries I will take out of the spare will get used around the house. When the 1800mAh rechargeables need to be replaced I will likely put in some NiMH's in the 2500mAh range, but that will be some time down the road and who knows what types of batteries will be available then.

I got a laugh about the part of $9 for 8 batteries at his local pharmacy............ jeez, I paid $9 for 50 alkalines at the local lumber yard.

Larry,

If you price batteries at the local drug store or convenience store which is where one usually winds up buying them in the field if you need them or even Wal-Mart, you don't find them priced at $9 for 50. Congratulations if you were able to find them at that price, hope you stocked up since you must have a super low price at your local store.

As far as the cost of the 2200 battery system, yes it's pricey but to be honest, I thought it worth enough to pick up one for my White's units and when they release one for Minelab which I hear is in development, I will get one for them as well. Being able to hunt with my MXT the entire time I was in Europe and then on two relic hunting trips hunts to Atlanta when I returned without recharging the pack says a lot. Also a few ounces less adds up over the course of a day in the field.

As far as accessories, it's up to each of us to decide what we need and what we are willing to pay. There are a number of accessories that I feel are not worth what they are selling for yet people flock to buy them . . . . .

I am not going to get into a fight about what something is worth and if it is a needed accessory. For me the AW2200 system is . . . . if it's not for you then by all means, keep buying your batteries at $9 for 50 or put your own rechargeable sets together and carry a box of spare batteries around . . . . . it's what we bring home at the end of the day that matters.

Andy Sabisch

I would say use what you want. We all have our opinions. I've got 2 rechargeable packs and I have yet to use my alkaline pack in over 2 years. If you don't already have a rechargeable setup then $179 isn't as bad. I'll just stay with what I have.

No doubt the AW2200 is a good battery system Andy and as you stated, pricey. I did not mean to imply that I use Alkalines in my detectors, I do have a spare backup alkaline pack to my two rechargeable packs and the three will support my addiction for well over 30 hours at a time, but at my age, 8 hours is pretty much my limit nowadays and one pack will give me that much hunting time.

One does not have to be a "super shopper" to get alkalines cheaply, just watch for the ads. :biggrin:

Heck, if I wasn't set up with the factory set-up, already set up fifty thousand ways from Sunday, packed in/traveled a lot.....I'd probably step up and get that set-up. (That system does fit your needs perfectly Andy.)

I really dislike using batteries that end up in landfills or have to go into the recycle bin but...quantity packs are getting cheaper fast it seems. Last batches I bought were $13.97 for 48ct. at Home Depot and $7.25 at Fry's for 100ct. Use them in a pinch only. Wife just chucked 4 of my PowerEx AA Rechargeable 2700Mih.....back to AA alkaline for the remotes I guess..... (Green to red:sick:......one felled swoop!)

If you look at the VX3 and other models such as the MXT that do not comes with a rechargeable system and you look at teh cost of the factory system:

Heavy Duty NiMH Rechargeable Battery ($80)
NiMH Charger ($25)
NiMH Charger Stand ($50)

You are looking at $155 for a NiMH system rather than the LiON system for $179 and that includes a car charger.

The reduced weight, speed in recharging the pack and the operating time made the decision an easy one for me considering I did not have a rechargeable pack for three of my White's units.

Another nice feature is that the battery packs for the Minelab detectors will use the same charger so all you will need to buy is the pack for the specific detector rather than an entire system

Andy Sabisch

All good points, but what if the whole Whites system could be bought for $67.00? :yikes: The Li ion is a good system. If you can use it then by all means get it. What's to talk about?

Cheaper yet Rob, $66.95 until 01/17/12 from White's or your local dealer.