Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer 2- My new favorite weapon in the nails! :beers:

DigFella

I have been playing with the Racer 2 at some of my iron loaded, "pounded" Colonial cellar holes here in New England. I had some good success with the AT Gold & it's iron audio in the nails, but I'm doin' even better with the Racer 2 & the small 4.5" coil. I'm loving the new tone break & iron audio features, & I can sweep & hear every individual nail with this unit. At times my AT Gold would just blur & give one long "low grunt" in a string of nails. I'm still experimenting with settings, but I think I'm getting there. Playing with the tones & such to see what sounds best to my ear. I took the Racer 2 to the closest cellar to my house that I do most of my coil testing in the nails. Usually when I do these tests, at hunted out cellar holes, I'm happy to unmask a flat button or 2. After some initial success at a cellar near work, I decided to really test this baby INSIDE the foundation what would have been under the floor boards. Any unit, especially stock coils, don't dare try to mess with all those floor board nails. Well as soon as I set foot inside the foundation I dig a very cool art glass locket. A little squeak in between a bunch of square nails from both the walls & floor. Wow, good start. Heading into the middle of the house next to what would have been the chimney, I get a high tone, 79. Out comes a copper disc that I wipe off & see the Indian on a RARE 1788 Mass. state copper! :surprised: Next signal I can't believe out flips an even bigger target, a Horace Greeley for president medallion out of a pile of nails. I ended the day with a worn down Conn Copper right next to another old dig hole (probably mine). The Mass cent is showing great patina under the crud. Gonna have fun hitting all my old sites with this thing :please:

Yeah, amazing isn't it!

I'm of the opinion the 'original' 4.5" coil is "hotter" than the new 5.5"!!!!!!!!

I'm going to try the R2 4.5" combo soon....

Well done by the way....great finds.

Isn't that a "coppa" in your neck of the woods? jk Congratulations on spectacular lifetime finds!

I was very happy to be rolling film on that 1788 Mass. "Coppa" coin! Yes, it's a "coppa" ;) They don't turn up often, especially in that shape....an exciting live dig. I'm editing the footage as we speak. Everyone is asking for my settings, so let me grab the unit & run them down later. I'm still experimenting with settings, but after 2 great outings I think I'm certainly in the ballpark settings-wise.........

now don't be talking like that , I may want an R2

gain 47
Tone break 13
iron audio 10
audio tone 13
iD filter 3
notch 3
tracking 1

Turning gain down into the 40's really helped I think. Zapped some depth of course, but in thick nails you don't need sensitivity. The rest of the numbers are just experimentation......but this combo is working. Maybe I should put notch on 0?

Try these setting in the nails and see how they work for you.
Three Tone
Gain 50
ID Filter 3
Notch 95
Tone Breaks 8 & 65
Tones - Low 10 hz, mid 40 hz, high 70 hz
Iron Vol. 2

4.7X5.2 'OOR' coil is my ready-to-grab set-up. I mount the 7X11 in open areas with sparse targets, and at some time I'll replace my broken 5½X10 DD coil I got with the original racer unit.

I do have my 5½" [size=small](close measurement)[/size] round DD coil on a spare lower rod and sometimes swap for it, and the same size 5½" DD coil on my Gold Racer and Nokta FORS Relic. After using the 'OOR' coil for a year on the FORS CoRe and then on the original Racer, I wasn't sure if I would like the 5½" DD they supply now with the Racer 2, Gold Racer, FORS Gold + and FORS Relic .... but I really do like it.

The fact is, all the mentioned models were very well designed, provide very efficient and effective performance, and either the 'OOR' or the 5½" round DD coil is simply an excellent match for unmasking good targets in nasty trash.

Congrats on your success afield!

Monte

Try iron audio at 3. Some prefer to set at 2 but I like to hear the difference between deep and shallow iron so need that extra bit of iron volume for my ears . You can't set notch below the ID filter setting. Tracking on.. I'll have to try that. Also I have been running the gain high in 3 tone. Will try 2 tone at Much lower settings than I have been using.

Thanks for the tips!

Tom

Am I reading the manual right? Does the manual call a "warning" the overload & that's all taking my iron audio off 10 is gonna affect? Though the overload was a complaint for some on the red racer, on my Racer 2 it's actually been helpful in these nail ridden foundations. It's allowing me to pull out larger spikes & bigger iron that may have been masking things under or around it. Since I was such a big fan of Garrett's iron audio, I just assumed I wanted to hear it all loud so a high pitch amid the nails sticks right out. I'll have to play with that more.......

DigFella said:
Am I reading the manual right? Does the manual call a "warning" the overload & that's all taking my iron audio off 10 is gonna affect?
ID Mask on the FORS series and ID Filter in the Racer series is nothing more than 'Discrimination' in general adjustment reference. Another term we often read or hear is 'hit' or 'signal' when we sweep the search coil and encounter a target. The 'new term' we read in the User Manual is 'Warning Tone' which means the same thing. It warns us or alerts us of a metal object in the EMF. Warning Tone = 'Hit' or 'Signal.'

It is not the same thing as an 'Overload' audio alert sound.

The Iron Audio adjustment on the Racer 2 [size=small](which should be Iron Audio Volume and on the FORS Relic it is called Iron Volume)[/size] can adjust the Volume or Loudness of non-ferrous targets as well. It is most often going to be used to lower the audio volume response on ferrous targets so the operator knows iron is present, but not loud and distracting. It actually will adjust the Audio Volume of ALL TARGETS, ferrous and non-ferrous, that respond below the Tone Break setting in all 2-Tone modes, and below the lowest Toner Break setting in the 3-Tone mode.

DigFella said:
Though the overload was a complaint for some on the red racer, on my Racer 2 it's actually been helpful in these nail ridden foundations. It's allowing me to pull out larger spikes & bigger iron that may have been masking things under or around it. Since I was such a big fan of Garrett's iron audio, I just assumed I wanted to hear it all loud so a high pitch amid the nails sticks right out. I'll have to play with that more.......
My Relic Hunting often takes me to environments that have a lot of rusty tin and other bigger-size discarded metal, and I take full advantage of the 'Overload' alert audio on all of my Racer and FORS series models. I really enjoy using the combination of Iron Audio Volume at a lower setting [size=small](often at 1, 2 or 3 depending on the model and coil used and the amount of iron junk present)[/size] and the Overload audio to help classify probable unwanted junk, and it really helps at unmasking better, desired targets.

Monte

yeah when languages get translated one to another some words don't match up as we would use them, have to take this in to account with foreign detectors.

AJ