Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer Arrived

I get what you are saying. I hunt in pretty moderate grounds. Parks, ball fields, schools.

Can't wait to put the small coil on the racer.

Tom Slick said:
That's normal if you're in or close to a house. The Racer comes pretty hot from the factory. Once you're out in the field it should quiet down. Don't be afraid to lower the gain. The Racer will still get good depth with the gain set as low as 30 -50. Often I run my gain at 10 or lower when hunting shallow or recent fresh drops of coins and jewelry.

Tom. That's quite an array of MD you have listed. If I may ask, if you were forced to only have one, which one would you keep?

If only one, I guess it would be the Impact. Fortunately I don't have to have only one. :cheers:

Sonny, getting back to your original post, "Racer Arrived", how are you and yours doing now?
Good hunts? Bad hunts? Not much going on?
What are you running gain and ID filter at?

I'm hoping to use my new RR early tomorrow morning. Very first hunt. How about a tip that's totally out of the box.

oleterryg said:
Sonny, getting back to your original post, "Racer Arrived", how are you and yours doing now?
Good hunts? Bad hunts? Not much going on?
What are you running gain and ID filter at?

I'm hoping to use my new RR early tomorrow morning. Very first hunt. How about a tip that's totally out of the box.

It's been so hot here, I've only hunted once in the last 8 days, and that was in my own yard for a short time... Kind of like OregonGreg said, Pretty much default 3 tone. I hunt in City parks, lots of trash, in the high use areas, and nothing really deep for the most part. Most of the parks are only 10-30 years old, and lots of them have lots of fill. About as high as I run my ID is 26, but I'm going to try Monte's suggestion, and try it for a while around 10 cent for areas where it would just be going nuts... I also agree with Greg, about running the coil about an inch about the ground when your running hot. I don't think I've run my Sens up past about 79, higher then that and it's just to sparky for me, LOL... I need to go try it in the country, and see what I can do.... Hope the info helps.... Hopefully it gets a little cooler shortly so I can get back out. I bought the NEL Sharp coil from Greg a while back and haven't got to use it a whole lot...

Sonny, that is a good report. I know what you mean about the heat. I'm in SW Georgia. Just terrible.

Hey, I did a trade with good guy Gregg for the 5" coil. I've had one chance to use it, with success, and it probably won't come off until my next beach camping trip.

For the most part, I ran the settings that Gregg wrote of, above.
I did run the ID filter mostly at 21. Practiced swinging the little coil approx 1 to 2" off the ground. Worked nicely.
I got into a hot bed of pennies, and it sure hit them hard with a solid 82 ID. 1944 wheatie around 7". Found a 1964 dime at around the same. Most others were 3 to 4".

I'll still be using my trusted Deleon 80% of the time, but when I hit the beach it'll be the Red Racer 100%. Deleon doesn't like wet or damp salted sand. Found that out in May.

Me thinks I now have two machines that will get the job done wonderfully.

Kool on the 5" coil.... Gregg is a Good guy to deal with.... Still haven't been out yet. supposed to be 100 on Saturday, and heat index of 117.... Guess I'll be inside, LOL

I'm liking my Red Racer. Light, deep, and solid ID with the high and mid tones. I'm hinting 3 tone mostly.
If it gets a little chatty, I just lower the sensitivity a tad, and GB again. GB is quick.
I'm also liking the small 5" coil. Never have to use the Racer PP.
Also light as a feather, and great separation.