Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

racer likes to overload...

foxhunter

turning gain down will help with overloading..but yesterday it went into overload ....turned the machine off 3 times..still stuck...had to take batteries out to get it out of overload mode...????

n/t

foxhunter said:
turning gain down will help with overloading..but yesterday it went into overload ....turned the machine off 3 times..still stuck...had to take batteries out to get it out of overload mode...????

At least one other Racer user reported a similar problem on the forums.
As I recall, the cause ended up being a bad coil.

I'd say that first you should make sure you have the coil connector
correctly inserted in the control box. If that's OK, call your dealer
or the US service center (if you're in the US), which is
Detector Electronics Corp in Southborough, Mass.

Hey foxhunter had mine overload on me saterday turned it off and on about 3 times and it finally came out of it. I think I'll call my dealer .

It seems like the new racer is having some problems just like we do in the states..why does this happen still

Turn the gain down to 39. Should slow down the amount it does it. Very sensitive machine. You were evidently in a very trashy place. Below 70 then below 40 are your two points it will stop a lot of overloading. I was in a place this morning that I couldn't even detect there was so much metal on the ground moved to 39 and went to detecting with a lot less overloads. Worked great and found a handful of coins.

I was out Saturday also and use the racer for bout a hour , then went to my truck turned it off for a bit , ate some snacks . And turned it back on and as soon as it went on it overloaded. Shut down 5 to 7 more times and still overloaded. I said what the %#$# , I had to leave. I got home and it worked ok. I can't be going a hour out of my way and this happens all the time. Also I should not have to run under 39 Sens. For it to operate. GS

So do you guys think if you turn your machine on and starts overloading right away , coil in the air overloading . Would you assume it's a coil problem ?

And this is supposed to be (touted) as a simple to use & with no exacting adjustments detector?????

Well I took the racer back to the site last night...This place is loaded with lots of big trash..I was able to run gain at 55 running stable in 2 tone..dug 4 wheats and a merc dime..One wheat was measured at 9.5 inches with a light 2 way hit...What can I say..I,m impressed...I never had a machine go this deep on coin size targets...So i went to the exact same spot the machine overloaded the other day..Turns out there was a 50 gallon barrel lid down about 4 inches under the weeds..So i think any machine would have over loaded on this..Alls good ..love the racer...Going out tonight to an old worked out 1800's mill site and see if I can pull something from the iron...

Let us know how it works for ya Fox!

I had the same issue Saturday morning. I left my Racer in my FJ overnight, and hit a spot at about 6:30AM. It was chilly, but we're only talking about 36 degrees Fahrenheit, or 2 degrees Celsius, so not the coldest weather I've ever detected in before. The overloads were occurring by simply turning on the detector, the coil could be in the air, on the ground, it didn't matter, and as it was overloading upon power on, it didn't allow you to make any setting changes, like it did a coil test on power up, the test failed, and the detector just went to overload mode. I ran the heater in the FJ for a bit and it came on OK and I was off finding coins. I emailed Dilek and they're sending me a replacement coil. I recall another fellow a while back that had a similar issue in the cold. The rest of the day it ran just fine (except for "normal" overload issues on small surface targets).

foxhunter said:
Well I took the racer back to the site last night...This place is loaded with lots of big trash..I was able to run gain at 55 running stable in 2 tone..dug 4 wheats and a merc dime..One wheat was measured at 9.5 inches with a light 2 way hit...What can I say..I,m impressed...I never had a machine go this deep on coin size targets...
The racer has a lot of sensitivity and I think a lot of the problem is some people are too anxious to "crank-it-up" thinking that higher Gain setting are always necessary. A good friend got a Detech 4½X7 DD coils for his White's M6 and MXT Pro and we did a quick comparison over some very mineralized environment with 6 of 8 filled-in 'pie' segments on the MMI graph.

He already knew the Racer more than aced his M6 with a 6½" Concentric or 5" Detech DD, and got this coil figuring it might do better and provide a little extra detection depth. So, with a Zinc cent in the #1 circle on my Nail Board, even though it lost again due to the 'after-burps' sweeping over the nails and coin, I asked to see how high he could lift the coil and still get a good signal on the coin. I grabbed my Racer w/4.7X5.2 DD coil, dropped the Gain to '10' and then to '01' and totally surprised and impressed him with the amount of coil lift I could get from the target and still have a functional audio response.

That coil is going back and he now owns a Racer w/Pro Package.

foxhunter said:
So i went to the exact same spot the machine overloaded the other day..Turns out there was a 50 gallon barrel lid down about 4 inches under the weeds..So i think any machine would have over loaded on this
Unfortunately, No, not all detectors would respond if it is an iron lid and/or Discriminated out. Not all detectors produce an audio 'Overload' audio response. Instead, any shallower or nearby good target could be masked and the operator wouldn't know there was any masking target there.

That's one reason why I happen to really like the Racer's 'Overload' audio function because it works and works well, alerting me to targets that are too larger and/or too close to the search coil, to include those that are rejected. In the trashy sites I hunt I often get an Overload audio and raise the coil just an inch or two ... more if it's a large and shallow target ... only to find that with the coil raised the target no longer responds because it is rejected. I usually use no more rejection than an ID Filter setting of '23' to reject nails and some iron.

Once it identifies an overload-causing source, I either work around the edges of the offending metal object or sometimes just remove it so I can check for any good target that was masked or partially masked. Without this Overload alert I would have missed several good targets I have recovered with the Racer.

foxhunter said:
All's good ..love the racer...Going out tonight to an old worked out 1800's mill site and see if I can pull something from the iron..
I hope you had some success, and continue to hang in there working those trashier sites. Pick the best coil, the best settings, be patient, and work the coil slow and methodically as needed to work thorough the trash and conditions.

By the way, I love both my Racer's as well. :thumbup:

Monte

Powering it on and overloading in the air is totally different then it overloading on the ground over a target. So it's not people that turn up the gain , it's a problem across the board with the coil it self. There is a lot of bad coils I believe . GS

GS it's a very very hot machine, not for the weak hearted. I'm sure there will probably be a bad coil or two but this thing will find stuff nothing else will. Very hot machine.....

JFlynn said:
GS it's a very very hot machine, not for the weak hearted. I'm sure there will probably be a bad coil or two but this thing will find stuff nothing else will. Very hot machine.....

I am getting confused here JF.. I thought I had read where you stated it was so simple to use and that was one of the great things about it, but now its such a hot machine its not for the weak hearted?

maybe it wasnt you I am thinking of.....

It is a simple, high gain machine, even at low gain settings. Some are having problems I believe with how sparky it runs thinking something is wrong with it. If you're used to running a quiet machine that makes a noise when it hits a target if it sees it, it might not be for some. It sees way more than what we are used too seeing here in the ground. Therefore it sees a lot more good stuff too in places you can't detect with most other machines and find anything. Great machine and so is the CoRe.