Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Racer screen damage

jdeiana

I recently did some night hunting and took the enviro cover off to enhance the night light. It was dark and I sprayed on some bug spray on myself - some of the mist drifted onto my racer screen - it was dark so i didn't notice at the time - well the next day I noticed the plastic screen is all spotted where the bug spray hit it. I am sure this is not the first time it has happened to someone. Anyone know what I can rub on the screen to lessen the effects of the spotting?

I would like to know if the plastic cover on face can be replaced. Mine has some very light marks on it, and think it came that way. I know some detectors face can be replaced. Maybe you all will know this to. Thanks flintstone

I've heard that some of those bug sprays will melt plastics (makes you wonder what it does to your skin too eh?). That's a bummer, but there are some plastic polishes you can get that will probably polish it out. Tons of them to choose from on fleabay, hopefully someone can recommend one they've tried that works.

I would try a good wax on it. Should work not unless you melted it some which I doubt. Gently clean it with some dawn and water then dry and wax it. Let is know how it worked. Works great on eye glasses. We actually used butchers spray wax.

"Oh-oh...that's bad...as soon as you start to rub even gently the screen plastic might start to get cloudy?
Few years back I was filming the Cee Tee Ex and sprayed a light film of sticky stuff to 'dull the shine' off it and destroyed the plastic with scratches!!
Fortunately ML replaced the screen meter housing and all was OK

I was 'pissed' recently and did what you did - removed the control box cover AND had also removed the protective film on the screen and just about then a spade of soil went awry and put a lite dusting onto the screen and Voilaaaa...it scratched when removing!!

LEAVE THOSE DUST COVERS ON......"

I'm sure it can be replaced. I would wait until I'm not using it for a while and I would send it in. I once put the point of a digger through my xlt screen. We all do crazy things. Good luck to you

If it only left spots it may be only the stuff you sprayed dried up...If it pitted the screen then don't try this move..

There is not pitting - the deet seems to have reacted to the plastic to make "foggy" spots - the screen is still smooth to the touch - I scrubbed it as hard as I dare with dawn and sponge - nothing worked - I think it permanently damaged the plastic

You can see the screen ok with the backlight on. I just hope my post reminds others to step away from the machine when applying bug spray. The spray is very misty and drifts and hangs in the air. It can drift onto the screen easier than you think.

Wax it and see what it does, butchers spray works wonders on scratched glasses and screens. Bet ya won't put bug spray on around anything anymore. I get irritated bad when my wife breaks out anything like that to spray the grandkids around anything it could get on. That looks nasty lol

FollowTheBeep said:
You could try a real fine auto rubbing compound or a headlight repair kit to remove fogging.
This will work too, very gently. The finest grit you can get then very gently. The finest deepest shines on gun stocks are done that way.

n/t

Anybody who uses products containing DEET are just asking for trouble. I haven't bought/used products with DEET in, oh, 30 years. Not since it melted a plastic watch "crystal" I was wearing. There are alternatives to DEET.

The wax might work; I haven't tried it. There are plastic polishing "systems" like that used to deglaze headlight lenses that will probably work to restore the clarity of the damaged plastic. It's worth a try. Can't make it any worse.

A good reminder to get the rain cover and keep it on. I keep rain covers on all my machines for this purpose . I would send it in and get a new screen and then get a rain cover. JMO. GS

you may as well try something..i use mguirers cleaner wax..its more like a polish..i use it for buffing headlights and paint

I always keep the rain cover on. I read a post on this forum recently that the night light performed better with it off - so I just took it off that one time. And of course it being night time I broke out the bug spray. Just a combination of bad luck and carelessness. But I am going to try a couple of these solutions mentioned here - thanks for all of the ideas. At least it's not as bad as the time when I fell on my new $2300 CTX3030 and snapped it in half at the control box. Could be worse.