Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RATPhones MSA for the E-Trac

moseng

Just wondering if anyone with an E-Trac (or any Minelab I suppose) has tried these yet? Heard and read a lot of good things about the old RATPhones model but these are very new I guess. Have tried several other "popular" brands/models but I am still looking for the headphones that make me happy! :yikes:

I had the black widows they were nice also and sunrays they were good and i had countless others.I started metal detecting around 1970

My favorite for the E-Trac is the Sunray Pro Golds as they sound better at the higher pitches of silver tones to my ears,Ray.

I bought the ratphones hoping for an improvement over my grey ghosts. Well I personally dont like the way my E-trac sounds on a "full range" headphone. What was a crisp sound on my grey ghosts sound "muddy" on the ratphones. I also found they do not hold their position settings very well. They just arent tight enough. I also dont like the limiting circuit. I think it should be user adjustable or should be able to be turned off. Mind you this is the last generation of ratphone, not the new one just released. Maybe you may like it, but mine are collecting dust....
JMHO

They are very durable.......Once I got used to them,I have to say now ,I don't think I will switch...........I used to use Troy Pros ,and I thought they were the best then....Now I will stick with my Ole R.A.T. Phones.

I use a pair of Sony Stereo headphones. Wal-Mart, 20 bucks. they are very light & comfortable and give excellent sound. Also, in noisy conditions I use Accusound pro headphones w/limiter technology(100 bucks) but the sound to me is not as good as the sony and the Accusound squeeze too much and give me a headache. They're also heavy and bulky I've used the sony phones 9 hours at a time with only minor discomfort. I would probably sell the Accusound phones if i didn't use them for windy & noisy conditions.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I decided to try them out just because well, they look comfy! :laugh: Will let you all know what they're like.

I have the last version of them. I also own the Sun Ray Pro gold. I like both. Very well made. I am using my RATs now due to personal preferance. I do not think you will regret the RATs, Beale.

I just purchased a set of MSA's since my Sun-Ray Golds have a loose wire and I lost my original Green Rat-Phones somewhere a couple weeks ago. I have always religiously used the Sun-rays and loved them on the Etrac they sound awesome on deep silver. They have a very bright crisp sound on high conductives. The MSA's I have found while they still sound good on the high conductors, They sound great[/u] on the lower conductors ( low sounds ). I think I may still use the Sun-rays when I'm after silver but when it's relic hunting or gold/nickle hunting give me the MSA's

Crash.... the Limiter is not engaged in Ratphones using a later model Minelab's. The signal voltage is only 2 volts peak and below the limiter. No switch is needed.
Full range response... Like AM radio, you may perceive more treble because that is all that is there with narrow response audio and miss a lot of true detail. IMO
But then there is the 'Sovereign effect' to consider on some machines... The worse the speakers, the better it sounds because you don't want to hear what a Sov really sounds like.