Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Real world battery life

sprchng

Has anyone made the effort to test the actual "in use" duration of the Legend battery? I can't say mine has ever approached the minimum listed rating(8 hours) ; perhaps it goes for 6 hours of use before showing the Lo indicator on the screen and turning off. Admittedly, I use mostly power consuming settings , wired headphones , backlight on when an object is detected (which is almost constant) and frequently 4khz but have never gotten close to 8 hours of use on a single charge. Last time I checked using the lifetime hours feature and it managed to get 5 hours which could in the best scenario only be 6 actual hours. This was after charging overnight and a full battery indicator . Any other results out there?

I have done a 8-9 hr hunt with mine and still had a bar of charge left when I stopped, actually around 8 hrs because I stopped for an hour to eat a sandwich and rest my old legs, I also carry the spare battery on my Legend in its mounting spot but I do not keep it plugged in to the Legend, that hunt I was on a patch of gold and was having to much fun finding some small pickers, have never had an issue with the battery going dead and have yet to have to attach the back up batter cable to keep going, I run with no backlight or anything that causes an excess drain on the battery, I only use the essential things so there is no excessive drain on the battery but again I do carry the backup battery just in case

Can't really say. I usually just go for 2 or 3 hours at a time. But, I don't charge it till after I've been out 3 or 4 times. I guess that would make it somewhere between 6 to 12 hours on a charge. Don't know if that's different than running it continuously, but I've not had it shut down on me either.

I have done a 8-9 hr hunt with mine and still had a bar of charge left when I stopped, actually around 8 hrs because I stopped for an hour to eat a sandwich and rest my old legs, I also carry the spare battery on my Legend in its mounting spot but I do not keep it plugged in to the Legend, that hunt I was on a patch of gold and was having to much fun finding some small pickers, have never had an issue with the battery going dead and have yet to have to attach the back up batter cable to keep going, I run with no backlight or anything that causes an excess drain on the battery, I only use the essential things so there is no excessive drain on the battery but again I do carry the backup battery just in case
Same here . Spare battery attached works wonders. Especially with 6” coil balanced nice, no noticeable weight difference to mention, personally i prefer to use up and have the wear and tear on the spare battery first. Just like your cell phones etc the litho battery has only so much life and its starts to diminish in charge hold time, life left. Easier to replace the spare battery than the internal one imo. Not to mention you are literally doubling the battery time whatever it is.

Can't really say. I usually just go for 2 or 3 hours at a time. But, I don't charge it till after I've been out 3 or 4 times. I guess that would make it somewhere between 6 to 12 hours on a charge. Don't know if that's different than running it continuously, but I've not had it shut down on me either.
Again just like your cell phone best to charge it full before you use it because for one you never know how much ypu will end up using at any given time. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Changing your settings especially frequencies have different impacts on battery. If you end up using some more 4khz it will use more battery. Same if you are going over alot of targets and screen light gets used more.
Run times are never definitive. Too many variables. Keep using cell phones as an analogy, if you are in a weak signal area it will use more battery then if you are right next to the tower, time using wifi, apps, screen light, all effect battery life.
New phone is supposed to get around 23 hours of life per charge. Doesn’t mean you can watch 2 hours a day of video for 11 different days which theoretically would only be 22 hours of use and still not run completely out and have an extra hour of phone time.
Be interesting though if you could pull that off.

Has anyone made the effort to test the actual "in use" duration of the Legend battery? I can't say mine has ever approached the minimum listed rating(8 hours) ; perhaps it goes for 6 hours of use before showing the Lo indicator on the screen and turning off. Admittedly, I use mostly power consuming settings , wired headphones , backlight on when an object is detected (which is almost constant) and frequently 4khz but have never gotten close to 8 hours of use on a single charge. Last time I checked using the lifetime hours feature and it managed to get 5 hours which could in the best scenario only be 6 actual hours. This was after charging overnight and a full battery indicator . Any other results out there?
The 4khz frequency will use more power and battery than say 20 khz. Thats just how it is with all detectors. My car is supposed to get 22 mpg in city but if i run my a/c frequently and have a lead foot I can’t expect to get that mileage

Again just like your cell phone best to charge it full before you use it because for one you never know how much ypu will end up using at any given time. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Changing your settings especially frequencies have different impacts on battery. If you end up using some more 4khz it will use more battery. Same if you are going over alot of targets and screen light gets used more.
Run times are never definitive. Too many variables. Keep using cell phones as an analogy, if you are in a weak signal area it will use more battery then if you are right next to the tower, time using wifi, apps, screen light, all effect battery life.
New phone is supposed to get around 23 hours of life per charge. Doesn’t mean you can watch 2 hours a day of video for 11 different days which theoretically would only be 22 hours of use and still not run completely out and have an extra hour of phone time.
Be interesting though if you could pull that off.
I find it's best not to have the external battery plugged in all the time , having the external battery fitted all the time i only get 8 hours total run time!

I find it's best not to have the external battery plugged in all the time , having the external battery fitted all the time i only get 8 hours total run time!
Just curious, you actually doubled your battery capacity from 5,000mah to 10,000mah and you actually got less battery time than just running on just 5,000 ?
Thats like attaching an extended battery to your cell phone and getting less time than with the original small battery.
Not saying you didn’t, just curious as to how that happened. All settings, usage, etc stayed the same ?

Just curious, you actually doubled your battery capacity from 5,000mah to 10,000mah and you actually got less battery time than just running on just 5,000 ?
Thats like attaching an extended battery to your cell phone and getting less time than with the original small battery.
Not saying you didn’t, just curious as to how that happened. All settings, usage, etc stayed the same ?

if you read the manual that is not how the back up battery works from my understanding, the battery back up works like a power bank to recharge the built in battery I also do not connect the cable from the power bank to the legend I carry the back up battery power bank in the holder but do not attach the cable to the Legend, from my understanding the back up power bank is used to recharge the onboard battery in the legend when the onboard battery gets low, you could do the same thing with one of those backup power banks that you carry in your car (the type that comes with a small set of jumper cables )as long as it had USB ports on the power bank, to plug the Legend charge cable into, the backup power bank that comes with the Legend in the pro pack is basically the same thing

Last edited:
I would consider the backup as being dual purpose . If the battery is rated at 8 to 20 hours I would expect the minimum time to be under the heaviest battery drainage. I have never been able to run three days yet without having the machine shut down and usually hunt about 2 to 2.5 hours at the most. I have no intention of using the bluetooth headphones with the marginal sounds and delay.

if you read the manual that is not how the back up battery works from my understanding, the battery back up works like a power bank to recharge the built in battery I also do not connect the cable from the power bank to the legend I carry the back up battery power bank in the holder but do not attach the cable to the Legend, from my understanding the back up power bank is used to recharge the onboard battery in the legend when the onboard battery gets low, you could do the same thing with one of those backup power banks that you carry in your car (the type that comes with a small set of jumper cables )as long as it had USB ports on the power bank, to plug the Legend charge cable into, the backup power bank that comes with the Legend in the pro pack is basically the same thing
Im no expert in metal detectors but do have quite a bit of knowledge about how litho batteries work. To my understanding same as if you hook up a external battery pack( power bank)to a cell phone.
Take the mophie external battery for example. It’s basically a power bank in a case. You put your phone inside the case hooked into the charging port of your phone. The case(power bank) has its own charging port.
As your phone is being used the internal battery is drawing power but at the same time the (power bank) attached to it is also keeping a constant charge going to it, like having it plugged in to wall charger therefore depleting the external power bank first before the the actual internal battery is depleted.
If the power bank( external battery) is attached it doesn’t know to wait until the internal battery ( also just a power bank) is completely drained before it starts to charge it. So the internal battery stays fully charged until the external one is completely dead then it starts using the internal charge.
If you look up the instructions on how it works it clearly states it draws from the external one first then the internal. Again a good thing because most the wear will be on the external battery. All rechargeable batteries, power banks, only have so many charge cycles so why use up the charge cycles on your internal one first.
Personally i would rather use up the external(power bank) because replacing the internal one requires sending it in to be replaced. One reason not a fan of internal batteries.
There could also be software that actually keeps track of the voltage of the internal battery and once it gets to a certain level only then does it tell the external battery to send a charge to recharge it. I am assuming it is the more simpler method being used. Usually having software to regulate charging like that is in more complex situations.
Another similar analogy would be your car.
While running your alternator( external power bank) is actually supplying power to everything while keeping your battery charged. Other than starting your car doesn’t draw from battery first. Maybe not greatest example but just the chain in order.
Maybe NM can clarify if it indeed has software to only draw from the inside first before using the external, I don’t recall reading that in the manual. Otherwise to me if you have the external attached already while hunting it only makes sense to have it plugged in. But this is a free country you can hunt with your detector turned off if you so desire.
If anyone can find out how NM actually has it set up that would be great

Attachments

• 0DD587AC-3595-4875-AC1A-7267ABE3A756.jpeg
    0DD587AC-3595-4875-AC1A-7267ABE3A756.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 68
I am not sure why i don't get as much run time as expected with the external battery pack fitted. I find the external battery pack to be not that much better than just using
the internal battery . 10000 Mah. Now i only connect the external pack power to the detector when the internal battery is running down

I am not sure why i don't get as much run time as expected with the external battery pack fitted. I find the external battery pack to be not that much better than just using
the internal battery . 10000 Mah. Now i only connect the external pack power to the detector when the internal battery is running down
That is strange to say the least. The internal being around 5,000mah and external around 5,000mah I wouldn’t think the detector draws twice the power with the external hooked up.
Again using cell phone as an example hooking up an external battery only increases the use time. Is it possible you didn’t have the external battery fully charged? There is nothing that indicates the charge level in the external battery other than when its full during charging. and it does take a long time for the external battery to charge. Longer than the internal it seems.

Having both batteries installed just increases the detectors capacity and should increase run time proportionally since max voltage is certainly regulated.

Last time I did a check (yesterday) , I got the "Lo" warning after a little more than 3 hours of running time. Interestingly , the battery indicator showed two bars still and I restarted and detected for a bit longer without the warning. I doubt I could have gone much longer and noticed the clock had switched from AM?PM to 24 hour setting.

I'm going to contact NM and see if they have a procedure to judge approximate battery capacity while monitoring run time and see if they have ant suggestions.

Having both batteries installed just increases the detectors capacity and should increase run time proportionally since max voltage is certainly regulated.
Thats why its very strange to get that result. I can only speculate the external battery was not fully charged.
I did notice it does take a longer time to charge the external battery and wish there was some sort of charge indicator on it. For example four lights one for each 25% of charge. It is very difficult to even determine if it is fully charged. The best way is just to let it charge overnight and do so before each use.
Unlike your cell phone battery that gives you exact percentage to know where you are at.

My experience mirrors most here. If I’m running 4khz I can get 4-6 hrs before Lo appears. I do not backlight during the day and I run the bluetooth headphones. I’ve also discovered if Lo appears on single frequency if you switch to any of the multi freq settings the battery will go back up over the 50% mark and you can keep going. If you go back to single freq after SMF you might get another 20-30 minutes. To date I pushed the 18-20 hr mark on SMF settings, the headphones have not failed on me in the field yet.

I wouldn’t say it requires wireless, because you can use it with no headphones
I detect public areas with people in the vicinity for the most part and detecting without headphones is #1 on the inconsiderate list. I wish I could get a set of headphones of any kind to accurately mimic the sound from the main speaker but the only ones that come close are the Sun Ray Pro Golds which are hot heavy and too sound canceling to maintain some situational awareness these days.