Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Reales

sillllvar

Hi all

This is a question for those who have been lucky enough to find a cut or small denomination Spanish silver coin. Where does the coin show up on the smart screen?

Cheers
Al

I pulled out my 1/2 Spanish Reale (1782) and my 2 Reale (1544) and they BOTH read the same as an Indian head penny!
I found these coins years ago with my 1265X.

I had my 5X10 Joey on the Explorer XS when I took these readings.

Hope this helps you out a bit...it sure surprised me.:surprised:

Charles

I found my second 1/2 reale a few weeks ago, sort of like a indian cent . 7/26 or 7/24 if I remember. It was very thin and about 8" deep

for the most part the half reales will read up around indian, unless they are worn real thin, then they may read a bit lower, the larger reales are no problem.. they read good indian or higher.. a half of a half reale will read low right about nickel or a bit higher.. but anything bigger than that will read up above pulltab.. a quarter of a two reale reads pretty darn good, and even half reale cobbs read good in an area you should dig. if your in a spot old enough to have them, listen for the smooth round sound in that range.. silver just sounds better than trash no matter where it reads.. the bigger the cut piece the higher it reads.. sometimes you get a reale that reads lower than it should though, and I think its debased silver.. someone was cutting into the profits or they were contemporary counterfeits

and for the guy asking about silver 3 cents, yes they read in the round to square tab area

thanks Jim your long term knowledge is always a help. I have found 1/2 reales and a 2 reales but am hard pressed to remember where they hit.
nightsout

I am using a Minelab EX2 and was out a couple weeks ago in a local park when I hit a deep but strong signal that read 00-29. I usually run in the iron mask mode and advanced digital screen with the response set on conductive sounds. I also have a sunray pinpointer for assistance. I was 6 or 8 inches down and the signal kept getting stronger and louder and clearly stayed on the 00-29. I was thinking silver quarter because of the depth and any and all 00-29's that I have ever hit were quarters bar none. At 10-12" I finally popped the chunk of dirt out that held the coin and noticed the rim was large. VERY LARGE, like a morgan or Peace dollar. I wiped the dirt away and didnt recognize the coin right away but it read Republica Mexicana with a date of 1831 on it. It turns out to be an 8 Reales and a beautiful coin at that. I sent it in to the coin graders to verify its authenticity and it came back an EF45 with details meaning it was cleaned somewhere in its past. It was the find of my life as the book value is somewhere in the $1750-$2000 range. D-

Wow! That's a nice surprise N2, congrats.

Found my first reale this weekend, It was a 1783 1 reale and sounded and came in like a dime would, 3-29. They were used in the US from 1803 until 1857 as legal tender.I believe because of the large foriegn trade at that time.

My 1/2 pistareen (spanish silver) about the size of a dime came in at Indian Head/wheatie just below where silver comes in. I think that these reales may come in high/low depending on how debased they were. Not all were .925 silver. My pistareen is only like 8.25 and came in low for silver. Just my two cents worth.....

I found an 1810 1/2 reale about 2 years ago. I was using an Ex XS. I remember it sounded high pitched like a silver dime. At that time I relied more on the cursor and the sound. I just scanned it with my new Etrac and the numerical numbers for it with this machine are: 12-39. I scanned an Indian 12-36, a wheatie 12-39, a barber dime 12-42, and an extremely thin Seated dime 12-42, for a comparison. I don't know what machine you are using, but with the Etrac that's what I get. The 1/2 reale if you haven't seen one, is about the diameter of a dime, but only about half as thick. VERY thin. Maybe this will help someone on 1/2 Reales readings.

I got this 1/2 reale the beginning of this year, came in about where a zinc would (in the ground) but out of the ground it reads like a wheat penny. nice solid signal about 4" down. I was using an Explorer II with a 10X12 SEF coil.

HH
Neil

Hi Al,

I found this 1788 Half Reale last week with my Explorer SE Pro. was down 3 or 4 inches and came in around where an Indian Head penny would.

2597_68340223816_816773816_1381475_7913824_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs034.snc1/2597_68340243816_816773816_1381478_1090067_n.jpg

Bob Kononiuk