Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

REALLY disappointed with the NEL Sharpshooter coil...

robby4570

NOT because of performance, it seems to perform OK, but because it's such a B1TCH to put on the detector. The coil wire is twice the thickness of the Minelab coil wire and easily twice as stiff. I got the NEL Sharpshooter coil in May with my new E-Trac, I have used it twice and it has been a PITA both times. The change over to it takes 15 to 20 minutes of fighting to get the cable up the shaft and then putting the shafts back together to the correct length is near impossible. When I go back to the Pro Coil it takes maybe 5 minutes and I can collapse the shafts a good 10 inches with the stock coil on.

SO, I am looking for a small coil ( possibly the SEF or some other aftermarket ) to replace the Sharpshooter. I need to hear what y'all use and especially whether or not the coil cable is as thick and stiff as the NEL's or closer to the Minelab stock Pro Coil's.

Thanks!

I hear ya about the NELs....they have some super thick cables. I have the sharp shooter for my F75 and that works very well, but obviously the cable is on the outside and not threading needed. Have the Hunter coil for my Sov GT. But don't have any for my FBS units due to that thick cable.

Over the years, I have liked the Sunray X8 and X coils for my FBS units ( E-Trac and Safari). But I ended up paying for extra lower and upper shafts since I hate the procedure to change out coils on the E-Trac and Safari.

I have an extra Sunray X8 coil you can try out if you want. Send me a PM with your address and I can ship it out ( your call).

John

Robby next time you change it take both shafts off at the same time. Then drop a piece of heavy string down them tie it to the cable and pull it through. When you do this make sure the lower shaft is about 2/3 of the way into the upper shaft it will be easier to set your reach that way as the shaft will pull away from the cable inside better as opposed to sliding over it. And you are correct the cables are a pain. HH Dave

I use the method Deep Down mentioned but have no expierence with the nel brand but hope that works. I have an extra lower rigged up with 8x6 sef coil now and its nice to just switch back and forth. Also I know that some say they don't consider the 8x6 to be a small coil but it really does an excellent job in trash. I use the stock 70% of the time and feel for its size does a rather good job separating targets. With that being said if your in agreement with that statement the 8x6 is easily 25% better in same enviroments at separation. It still runs deep enough in my soil and runs extremely stable allowing you to crank up sensitivity significantly more. That's the second thing I do after coil change noise cancel then bump the sens up. Its a great alternative to the pro coil in trashy areas in my opinion. Good luck

if you don't have extra rods the string trick is the way to go ... I love my Coiltek coils the they are heavily shielded too but that is a good thing

Don't know this for a fact as i've never taken one of those NEL cables apart. But generally speaking, a heavier coax cable typically means thicker guage conductors and heavier shielding usually copper braid instead of aluminum wrap shleding used in cheaper coax cables. This could mean a higer quality cable with less impedance losses and better shielding against EMI.

I've got 4 NEL coils including the Sharpshooter and have no problems snaking them through the shafts. As mentioned take the shafts apart before starting. First feed the cable down into the lower shaft held as verticle as possible. Gravity helps a little this way.
Three simultaneous movements then come into play.
'Gently' apply some pushing force to the cable into the shaft while twisting the shaft in a direction which will tighten the cable coils into a overall smaller diameter and lightly tap the shaft into the ground especially if it gets stuck. If its really stuck, twist harder to reduce the coil diameter more. The stuck friction between the cable and the shaft will allow the twisting motion to further reduce the coil diamerter.
Its important to twist, apply only a gentle downward cable force and tap the shaft into the ground all at the same time. Basically you'll be screwing the shaft into the cable. IF done right should only take under a minute.

ironsight said:
Don't know this for a fact as i've never taken one of those NEL cables apart. But generally speaking, a heavier coax cable typically means thicker guage conductors and heavier shielding usually copper braid instead of aluminum wrap shleding used in cheaper coax cables. This could mean a higer quality cable with less impedance losses and better shielding against EMI.

I've got 4 NEL coils including the Sharpshooter and have no problems snaking them through the shafts. As mentioned take the shafts apart before starting. First feed the cable down into the lower shaft held as verticle as possible. Gravity helps a little this way.
Three simultaneous movements then come into play.
'Gently' apply some pushing force to the cable into the shaft while twisting the shaft in a direction which will tighten the cable coils into a overall smaller diameter and lightly tap the shaft into the ground especially if it gets stuck. If its really stuck, twist harder to reduce the coil diameter more. The stuck friction between the cable and the shaft will allow the twisting motion to further reduce the coil diamerter.
Its important to twist, apply only a gentle downward cable force and tap the shaft into the ground all at the same time. Basically you'll be screwing the shaft into the cable. IF done right should only take under a minute.

You can be disappointing NEL coil producers don't use very high quality cables because they dont have-for FBS for sure, have NEL tornado coil and its not something special or better coil- I would say its worst for different reason. I would not recommend Nel coil to anybody. Use what you have all ready on Minelab.

when I put my NEL Sharpshooter on I just twist the cable in the direction it is wound & it makes the coiled cable compress a little & slides in no problem. I also got the Hunter & that one is even harder to get through but using that method I can get the cable through the shaft in less than 1 minute. I like the performance of both the Sharpshooter & the Hunter, I have noticed the Hunter seems to hit harder on the coins that are on edge.

i just ordered a sharpshooter for my garett at pro and was thinking about ordering the big coil for my etrac next week for lots of depth..
i can put a string into shaft and pull thru if thats all thats needed??
ill check it out
thanks for the info
but I'm asking the coil did perform right??
thanks
hh
john..

I don't have a problem with the Sharpshooter on the ET but the Tornado is a bear to get through both shafts. I use the string method but it has hardly any adjustment of the length of the shaft.

Clad2Hunt said:
I don't have a problem with the Sharpshooter on the ET but the Tornado is a bear to get through both shafts. I use the string method but it has hardly any adjustment of the length of the shaft.[/quote

Once the cable is installed in the shafts, try pulling some of the cable out of the coil end of the lower shaft. This will allow a shorter shaft length adjustment. Just make sure the now extra cable slack doesn't dangle-move over the coil during a sweep. Any cable movement relative to the coil will produce falses. Use cable ties if necessary to secure any cable slack.

There's been some good ideas on how to deal with the issues I am experiencing (as well as a few others who use NEL coils) but my whole point is that I shouldn't have to "DEAL WITH" any issues. It should fit like the Minelab coil. Of course the one I have says "EXPLORER" and not ETRAC on the label, but I;m told it's the same coil for both. I just know that because of this problem I will NEVER buy another NEL coil until something is done about this one issue.