Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Received my Ace 250 today

Garry/OH

Air tested some items in the house...this thing does have some great target separation. Took it to a wooded area by an old high school where I knew there would be all kinds of junk. I only had about 30 minutes in on it before the rain came. But I dug a clad quarter, 3 dimes, two nickles, and a couple copper cents...ignored the zincs. It sure is easy to find the coins w/this thing. I also dug some pulltabs, beaver tails, foil wads, and several other odds and ends just trying to get used to it. Looks like a great coinshooter, and will be a great jewelry hunter also. I only used the stock coil...in air tests the stock does very well on separation also...but that little coil, as expected takes the prize there. It was a little noisy in a few areas w/the sens cranked up, but that's the way it is with them all around here, but it's easy to tell the good targets and coins are a bell tone piece of cake. :) I noticed testing several rings and jewelry items that good solid gold rings tend to lock on one segment or bounce between two segments...but I noticed a few rings bounced more and some items bouncing in several segments...anybody finding good stuff that bounces all over?

All in all, I think it's going to be a great detector for jewelry...and w/it's target separation, I think it'll find coins that most high end detectors flat out miss...but I'm just getting started w/it...and it's raining cats and dogs and snow supposedly coming behind that...so it may be awhile before I make my final conclusions on it. But so far, I'm impressed...I think it will pay for itself real fast....if the weather permits. :)

Sound like you're off to a great start, Garry. Been out just twice with mine and I concur with all you report. This thing can separate targets.

Been using just Coin Mode to get used to it; next I'll try Jewelry and see what happens.

You and all these other ACE detectorists. :lol: And I'm glad you did. This thing has great target separation...even that stock coil does great...the little coil is a target killer. :thumbup: My guess in the short time I've tested it...and a half hour in the field...is it will find 99% or more of the coins that the high end jobs find, and a ton of coins that they don't find due to target masking and separation....and on top of that, with it's segments and notching and target separation, it's a hot little jewelry hunter too. I had alot of fun trying out all the high end jobs and never felt ripped off. But this detector will be alot of fun too...and I feel like, at $200, I got a real steal. It sure won't please everyone, as nothing does, but I think it will do me just fine. ;) If the weather permits, it will pay for itself real fast. :thumbup:

What are you going to do with all that money you got from selling all that high-dollar equipment ? :lol: Don't you feel a little naked ? Don't you feel empty and alone without a closet full of detectors ? Doesn't it make you wonder if you really should have reconsidered shipping all of your "kids" to new foster homes ? COME ON, BUNKY ! Tell us the truth. How can you live with yourself, knowing you could have had THIS DETECTOR instead of the total wasteland you have been dragging yourself through all this time ? And this is not even to mention all of those lonely, ignored, neglected coins that you just pretended weren't even there with your other machines. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED !!!!

Uhhhh-HUM ! Sorry. I have an image to uphold you know.

Ralph

:rofl: What are you going to do with all that money you got from selling all that high-dollar equipment ? Buy silver gold. :lol:

Don't you feel a little naked ? Don't you feel empty and alone without a closet full of detectors ? When I had 6 or 8 detectors, it drove me crazy...not enough time to use them all...so I'm much more happy w/2...and cheap ones too. :lol:

Tell us the truth. How can you live with yourself, knowing you could have had THIS DETECTOR instead of the total wasteland you have been dragging yourself through all this time ? And this is not even to mention all of those lonely, ignored, neglected coins that you just pretended weren't even there with your other machines. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED !!!! :rofl: I think I did waste some time and $... and now I'm going to make it back. :lol: Of course, if I hadn't tried them out, I'd always be wondering....now I don't have to wonder anymore...I can just go :detecting: and have fun.:thumbup:

Yeah...I have known for some time that I was missing coins...so I avoided the trash, looking for those good old nontrasy sites. :lol: I've been biding my time, waiting on a new high end machine that would do all the tricks. But I'll gladly settle for a low end machine w/a small bag of tricks in it, good enough ID depth, and great target separation. While a Compadre w/a small coil would pick the coins fine, I like some kind of TID/audio tone...well, here it is, and notching to boot...all for $200. If I thought I could find more in my area w/a high end detector, I'd have it...but I don't. I hardly ever get to the salt water beach, and I'll never care to fight those waves...not for me. I do like freshwater hunting, but the nearest good lake is 45 minutes away, so I seldom get in the water...and I think this ACE or the Advantage, either one, will do very well in freshwater. So, after all the trying out, I find myself very happy with just these two...one good coin or ring pays for both w/room to spare. :lol:

[attachment 17012 18061.jpg][attachment 17013 18062.jpg][attachment 17014 1916.jpg]

Thanks John...if I took a camera with me around here lately, it would be a pic of mud. :lol: It's been extremely wet..the weather forcast doesn't look good for the coming week either. If I find anything good, I'll pic or scan it...here's a pic of my best coin find last year...a few months ago...I never find coins near this old around here...people just didn't live here then. And a 1916 Merc and 1900 Canadian dime (just for you up there):lol: that I found minutes apart about a month ago.

BTW, why are alot of the coins and stuff you find so clean...do you clean them before posting or do you have coin friendly soil up there? :lol: Even your bottlecaps often look good. :lol:

Most of my coins so far this year I have found came out of the sand at play equipment. I usually give them a hot soak and towel dry before I take a pic of them. I use the ironing board as my photo table, and if I got caught putting dirty coins on the ironing board, well......you know the rest of the story. :)

Hi Dick..it depends on the site I'm hunting and what I'm looking for...w/the ACE, it will be coins and jewelry most of the time. So I'll probably start out with everything notched in...even iron, at least at first to get a feel for what's in the ground...and then just notch out what I don't want, what's bothering me, as I go. As I do with every detector, I'll probably dig all kinds of hits at first to see what it's telling me. I had zinc notched out today...but I noticed in testing that an old Merc bounced from high zinc to dime, so I guess I'll leave that high zinc notched in for coins...zincs do seem to be a solid zinc ID....need some field time..I'll know soon enough. :)

Thanks for the reply, Garry:

A question: your system of notching everything in at the beginning of a search in an area. Is this something you do all the time or is it just to get used to the Ace?

Seems to make sense for most every outing & since the Ace is so easy to notch with, why not?:shrug:

Thanks

"sand at play equipment"....OK...that explains it. Last fall, I was at an old park hunting...decided to call it a day and headed for the car. There's a playground area there, fairly new, with mulch, not sand, and I decided to make a quick run through it for about ten minutes. I was digging everthing but iron and had only found tabs and junk...and just when I was about to leave and thinking to myself, not one coin, I got a zinc hit...about three inches down was an 1880's IH. :lol: You just never know. :lol:

Hey Dick :) It depends on the area..if I not sure what's there, I'll usually start w/everything notched in...iron notched in isn't a big deal... w/the low tone the audio tells you what it is and it just gives me a feel for what all is in the ground. In the short time I was out with the ACE and the testing I've done, I know a good target next to iron or a bad target may bounce back and forth from from each target...but if you change directions a bit, the good target will lock in it seems. I'm sure with the small coil you will get less of that. Anyway, until I get some time on it, I'll leave things notched in unless they are bothering me...for instance, if I hit and dig several pulltabs in a few minutes...it's notched out. :lol: Especially if I'm looking for jewelry though, I'll keep everything notched in until it becomes a nuisance in that area.

I also often run in full metal. The extra low tones
don't bother me much, and I like seeing what iron is
below me for future reference. I've about got to the
point I can tell a pulltab nearly 90% of the time I
think. I've been testing myself to actually see...
But every time I see one bounce from nickle to pulltab,
and do it on a repeat, it's a pulltab in this soil.
Rarely fails. I was doing that today. I'd see a pulltab-
nickle bouncer, and think, yep, pulltab..I'd dig it.
And yep, a pulltab...Over and over.. I think once you
get used to their "signature" in the soil you are in,
it's pretty repeatable. I was in the backyard today,
and even though I've been hitting it for a week off and
on, I was still finding and digging pennies one after
another. I found an intact 38 bullet today..Dunno how
it got there, as I don't own a 38. :/
I guess at this point, I'm at maybe 9-10 hours total
detecting time. I didn't get to do a whole bunch this
week. But with just staying in my yard alone, I'm already
over 200 coins found. Plus the various relics...
And still plenty more to search. Ain't even close to being
tapped out yet. Now, 200 coins is just another day to
some of these guys, so it's no big deal, but it is proof
to me that the detector is doing it's job. I'm a pretty
casual hunter too..No rush at all.. I just putter along..
I think I'm actually ahead of how many coins I envisioned I
would find around here. I knew there would be a few,
but I never realized it would number in the 100's...:/
I just wish more were clad instead of all those freakin
pennies I keep seeing... :( In this soil, the vast majority
of the pennies I see ring up as dimes. I think they get a
halo in this gumbo after a while. If I air test a penny, it
rings as a penny.
MK

Thanks to all who are contributing advice on hunting with the 250; this is really going to help once this next cold snap is over:angry:

with the sniper coil on...snowstorm coming tonight, so I gave it a quick trial in an area I've had other detectors over. This area is trashy. Just picked some coins to see how it did. In 45 minutes in the light rain and mud, I found 4 quarters, about ten dimes and some pennies...and two half dollars...all clad. The one half was missed by other detectors because it had made a home next to a wad of foil, but that was no match for the sniper...belltoned at a half dollar at 5" and so it was. The other half was near some cement that other coils have trouble getting close to. It's a coin zapper alright. Looks like I'll have to go everywhere I've been the last few years and pick up what I missed. :lol: The weather may not allow any sniping for a few weeks the way it looks, but I'll be ready when it breaks. :)