Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recent Finds Plus Three Firsts!

AngelicStorm

I have uploaded a few photos of my recent finds from my last few hunts. They include four Wheat Cents, an Indian Head, and a Barber Half! :drool:

BarberHalf_zpsf200b9e6.jpg

This here is a Barber Half I found yesterday evening. It is my first Barber Half ever! :super: Why does it have to have a bullet inside of it!? :poke: Anyway..... It will still make for a good piece to think about the circumstances involved. Did it save someone's life? Was the person who had the Half involved in a skirmish? Target Practice? ..... Who knows? The date does read 1909 with some wear so I doubt it was a skirmish. I'm wondering how will I keep it looking like it is without it collecting carbon like silver normally does. Any suggestions?
It looks like the bullet is still present too. If I remove the dirt maybe the bullet will fall out which I don't want.

DSC03120_zps6369a3f9.jpg

Four of these are Wheat Cents I found the day before yesterday. The Wheats all appear to read in the early teens which means that is the first time I found that many early teens in one day. The dates appear to be 1914, 1915 or 10?, 1909, and 1916. The thing is these are all shot in a different way than the Barber Half. The one at the bottom is a perfect example of what is happening to all of them. It appears that a layer of copper is coming off of them and exposing an almost flat rusted layer. Is there any way of restoring these types to a better condition?

IndianHead_zpsb030f258.jpg

This is the first Indian Head Penny I have found this year. It was found in the same area as the above Wheat Pennies except it is in better condition. At least you can make out the date and detail although it has been roughed up too. The year dates 1897.

I have not included a picture of the V Nickel I found in the same area as the pennies. It was shot too as in worn almost completely flat with no detail. It is very hard to see the date of it, but I think I can "imagine" 1892 showing. You can see the outline of the face and a couple of stars with a couple of letters showing flat. The V is extremely hard to see.

Is the acid content in that area really high?
They were all found in a wooded area with a lot of clay present a couple of inches below. I know that area must have potential to produce some really good stuff with the dates that are coming out of it. What good is it if I am finding nothing but toasted coins? Maybe I should hope for silver or get lucky with the copper.

That Barber is a cool find.

As far as the other coins being toasted, mine look pretty much the same from a few of the areas I hunt. I just soak mine in distilled water and change it out every few days. Some of them don't look to bad, but I'm only trying to make the date easier to read. Make sure when you

Great finds, the Barber with the bulletin is certainly a conversation starter, regarding the V nickel, if it's really dark, you can lighten it up with pure lemon juice. Just let it sit in the juice and rub it gently until it lightens up. Maybe you can get more details off of it afterwards.

Nice finds, too bad someone used them for targets.

Very very nice........first I ever saw coins warped like that...unless they were on train tracks~!

- Mark

I found an old Washington quarter a few years back with a bullet hole as well. Target practice for sure.

Has anyone ever thought they might be part of a crack shot show where they throw targets (coins) into the air and shoot them? At least it makes interesting stories as I have found some also lol
hh Jeff

Great Finds,
Their called Rodeo Dollars
Your dad would pay the guy and the trick shooter would throw them up and shoot them at the wild west show. it was very popular back in the day. the one I have is a Morgan.

Thanks Everyone.

CT Todd that is the first time I have heard of Rodeo Dollars. It makes sense. Someone must have been testing their aim since they were shooting at a Half Dollar instead of a Dollar. The property where I found it dates back to the 1740s so it has some history. There is a real possibility there were shows hosted on this property in that time span. I do know the military was involved on it and as a result I have been finding some neat military buttons in this area. Those maybe on the next thread I make.