Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recommended Rock Tumbler for cleaning coins found on the beach

Danny Depp

Was wondering if anybody could recommend me a nice rock Tumbler for cleaning the change that I find out on the beach. I noticed they really very in price. I just want something reliable that will work! Thank you!

Pick up something cheap; size is relative--try not to mix cu cents with other things (using an agent with the media helps, but can affect coins in different ways.)
I often see good used tumblers at Gun Shows very low priced used to clean cartridge cases.

Danny Depp said:
Was wondering if anybody could recommend me a nice rock Tumbler for cleaning the change that I find out on the beach. I noticed they really very in price. I just want something reliable that will work! Thank you!

Check Harbor Freight - if you live by a store then you want to sign up for their sales advertisement. You can get a 25% off coupon on most 3 day weekends. Most of the other times they offer 20% off. They have several options.

Lortone make one too I think
I have a Vibra-Sonic which works well .
It does not actually tumble like the cylinder models but vibrates and the coins moves around in a circle.
I have found the cheap ones cannot take a heavy load but work ok with small amounts.

Stainless steel shot in the container works well to clean the coins.

I have both a harbor freight double barrel and a lortone 3a. Both will work. Especially if only using once or twice a year for coin purposes the harbor freight is a better bet with coupon.
Make sure the rocks you buy are raw and jagged about 1/2 to 3/4" size. No smooth aquarium rocks.
You can reuse the rocks until they are smooth. Pet stores are your best bet. Rinse them in a colander first.
Separate pennies between zinc and copper and also clean them apart from your other clad.
Copper in one batch, zinc (if they aren't rotten) in another, quarters nickels and dimes in another.
If the pennies are rotten or surface is broken just throw away. They will release something that will turn the rest black.

Hi Stoof-tabsallday ! :thumbup:

Great post, I just saw it today, Sorry to be so late with this reply, but I guess "better late than never." 😉

Your second sentence about using larger-size rocks instead of smooth aquarium rocks sounds like good advice and your last sentence is especially informative, in fact during my 14 ½ years of metal detecting, browsing and posting on websites, I've never seen that piece of advice before.

Over the years I've collected bags of various coin types, including rotten zinc cents and now that I've acquired one of those Chicago Electric Harbor Freight 2-Drum Rock Tumblers, I'm finally going to clean and cash-in my coins.
Being a "Penny-pincher" think I'll separate all the rotten zincs and then depending on how many dollars worth I have, I'll either (a) throw them away or ((b) clean and try to cash-in. I know the Banks hate them, but are they legally-bound to refund them at face value ?

Thanks for your advice, and answering my question if possible.
ToddB64

Last edited:
Well the banks should take them.
But the reason for separating is if the outer shell of the zincs are compromised I don't know why but they leak this black stuff and it gets on all your other coins, defeating the purpose of tumbling to begin with. And the black won't come off the other coins even if you retumble.
That's why I tumble the pennys separate now from the other coins.
Not necessarily larger rocks, but don't use the smooth aquarium gravel. You want the rocks to be as "raw" looking as possible. The raw edges is what tumbles and cleans the coins.
Be very careful if you're adding dish soap and watch it for a while if you are. The bubbles can cause the barrel to open. Use dish soap at your own risk. I had the barrel open up on me and get jammed on the rods. Made a huge mess.
Don't use vinegar especially on zinc. Turns them pink.

Last edited:
Lortone make one too I think
I have a Vibra-Sonic which works well .
It does not actually tumble like the cylinder models but vibrates and the coins moves around in a circle.
I have found the cheap ones cannot take a heavy load but work ok with small amounts.

Stainless steel shot in the container works well to clean the coins.

Hi Terra1959 ! :biggrin:
1 bought the Vibra-Tek polisher shown in the attached picture years ago to clean Rifle and Handgun cases and it also cleans coins and jewelry. As indicated in my post #6, I also have the Chicago Electric Harbor Freight 2-Drum Rock Tumbler.
Thanks for the recommendation on steel shot for coin cleaning. ;)
Toddb64

Attachments

• Scan_20200513.jpg
    Scan_20200513.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 224
For a tumbling media I use Poultry Grit. It is Rock that has been rushed. No colors added. Feed stores will carry it.

I dig a hole in my dry wash, put the material through a 1/4 inch mesh screen, then use to newly acquired gravel to tumble, free of charge.

For a tumbling media I use Poultry Grit. It is Rock that has been rushed. No colors added. Feed stores will carry it.

Hi GeorgeinSC ! :biggrin:
Thanks for passing along the idea of using Poultry Grit as a coin cleaning media. ;)

Question: Is the grit you use made from crushed granite or quartzite rock ?
Internet ad says quartzite has sharper edges to aid digestion better, so it should clean coins better, i.e. coins are cleaned more thoroughly and quicker, so tumbler or vibrator machine run time could be reduced and quartzite media efficiency is extended! These benefits of quartzite over granite should justify extra cost if any for coin cleaning purposes.

ToddB64

I dig a hole in my dry wash, put the material through a 1/4 inch mesh screen, then use to newly acquired gravel to tumble, free of charge.

Hi BobOso !
Well I guess if the "newly acquired" gravel cleans coins to your level of satisfaction for Free, that's a winner.
Thanks for sharing your cleaning method.
Toddb64

I have never checked to see if it is granite or quartzite. It works well for me. I put in about a third of the drum full of grit. Add another of coins. Cover the coins with white vinegar. Add some rock salt and tumble those cruddy rascal for about 15 to 20 minutes. Wash everything with fresh water. Remove the coins from the grit which I use more than once. Pennies are a different story. You can use the grit which I do but use water and a dash of soap. The ones from the beach may never come clean or will be eat up to the point that the is no place that will take them. If you use vinegar and salt the solution will cause a build up of gas in the tumbler and will blow the lid off. I don't know what it is about pennies that cause that. Always do hour clad by itself. And do your pennies by themselves. My son uses a vibrating tumbler and he just uses the grit dry. He has good luck with doing that but I don't know how long it takes to do the job.