Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recovery Deep

With this off does the deeper the target mean a lower noise response and on mean all targets have the same response deep or shallow?

No ... Deep on means deeper. The gain is where you can set a deeper target to be softer sounding than a shallow target. It is best to set your gain high like 28-30 so you do not miss the soft deep sounding targets. The targets then will all sound loud no matter the depth. I run mine gain at max all of the time.

Are you talking about the audio gain? It dont blow off your ears?

Are you talking about the audio gain? It don't blow off your ears?

Yes I am... set the gain at max so all sounds are loud, then turn the volume down on your detector. You just want deep and shallow sounds to be at the same loudness so that you don't miss any quite targets by having your gain turned down.

I too wonder what the Deep on or off actually does. I see no difference either way.

"Deep" is supposed to be extra processing that analyzes weak targets to give a more proper ID. In the process of this they do,at times,seem to be a bit longer in length,but overall I just don't see it. I'm thinking the DEEP setting works better in conjunction with other particular settings,with which I am not familiar. To me,DEEP just muddies things up when I DO hear a difference. Now with FAST on,I notice the response is clipped,or shorter,but I don't care for that either. At this stage of learning,I run both DEEP and FAST off....and that's what's been working the best, as far as I can tell. Etracs and Explorers are perfectly capable of finding coins at depth with the most basic of settings,you'd really be surprised sometimes.

Like IDXMONSTER stated DEEP ON helps to make the ID better is all it's supposed to do, BUT it also TURNS a FILTER ON so slightly slowing down the computing speed.

FAST ON turns OFF a FILTER so it processes targets slightly faster in trashy spots but it does slightly clip the sound.

I use FAST on and as stated run the audio gain up to 29 so any really deep targets will sing out so as not to miss them. The shallower ones won't be any louder so it don't blow your ears off.
There must be a cutover point on the sound increase at a certain depth is all so it don't happen.

I actually use gain at 30 Fast On and Deep ON

Again,whatever settings are satisfactory to the individual hunter are the ones to use! It's great there's so much adjustability that things CAN be changed should a person think it'll do some good. Im actually going to try FAST ON this weekend to see if I can work with the short signals. I really haven't given that enough of a try to be honest.

My take,

Volume gain is as its name suggests, only sets the audio amplifier's gain.
The highest setting 30 will amplify all target signals weak to strong up to the volume limit setting.
The chosen amp gain setting is finite and not dynamically variable so a mid setting of 15 will amplify all target signals linearly therefore the weaker target signals will not be as loud as strong target signals. With a gain setting of 1, the eTRAC will more or less sound off like a cheaper detector with faint volumes for deep or small targets and louder volumes for stronger large or shallow targets.

Deep on the other hand per my understanding, amplifies ONLY the WEAK target signals for the digital ID. It does not affect stronger target signals.

Here's what has worked for me.
For areas with known or suspected deep targets; Deep=ON, Volume gain = 28, sometimes Fast = ON.
I've found my deepest record coin finds with these settings. Beware though, deep will amp deep target signals but in my experience the deepest of the deepest coins will only give a hint of a coin ID due to the fact that amping up an extremely weak signal runs into signal/noise issues.

For quieter areas with only known shallower targets, no need for the extra Deep filtering, Deep = OFF, Volume gain = 28, Fast = OFF

I really believe it is best to use what you are used to. I have found that I really like those Deep targets to sound off. First thing I do is test them by raising the Coil to see just how deep they are. Thought about turning Fast Off but I am afraid I will miss a good target. Sort of like Recovery delay on a V3i, I always liked mine as quick as possible because I might be coming off a bad target and hitting a good one. I dug a 8" Wheat this week that was beside and deeper than a Pull Tab. I was using a small coil. The Pull tab was hitting 12-18 and I just heard a quick squeak from the Wheat when I went over it. I discriminate out 12-15 through 12-31. I checked over the signal and just heard it every other swing. I switched to Quickmask and saw the 12-18 but I knew that quick high tone was not coming from the 12-18. I walked around it and at one angle I believe I got a quick 14-40. Not sure that I would have found this target with Fast Off.

Well I have always been a Fan of Modulated Audio''AKA'' Deeper sounds Softer. On the Etrac / Minelab's it's called Volume Gain. I set mine at 18 so anything over 6'' sounds softer as target is Deeper so I listen for that Soft Deep Warble that will stop Me in my Tracks as it's a Deep coin mostly Silver. I also run Deep on as it gives better I.D. at depth and seem's to round the Tone out more as it holds it a hair longer to my ears anyways. I am addicted to Modulated Audio and will not Buy a Detector without it anymore. This is just the way I like to Hunt as everyone is different.

Harold said:
Well I have always been a Fan of Modulated Audio''AKA'' Deeper sounds Softer. On the Etrac / Minelab's it's called Volume Gain. I set mine at 18 so anything over 6'' sounds softer as target is Deeper so I listen for that Soft Deep Warble that will stop Me in my Tracks as it's a Deep coin mostly Silver. I also run Deep on as it gives better I.D. at depth and seem's to round the Tone out more as it holds it a hair longer to my ears anyways. I am addicted to Modulated Audio and will not Buy a Detector without it anymore. This is just the way I like to Hunt as everyone is different.

I guess that is how we find coins. I like mine to Holler "DIG ME YOU IDIOT" you like yours to whisper "I'm here Honey." All in experience and what you are used to.

The beauty of the eTRAC are the unlimited settings to suit each individual.

Far as the volume gain setting, IMO it sort of depends on the headphones used, the health of one's hearing and personal hunting preferences.

I use Rapoo wireless headphones which are not full cup type earpieces. I like this type of earpiece(s) as i can hear people sneaking up and they don't cause hot sweaty ears. Next to impossible to hear faint audio signals with these not to mention my shot hearing. So i set the gain towards the upper limits. Just my personal preference.

Whatever works for an individual is the right setting.