Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recovery : Fast = OFF and Deep = OFF ??

monindou

Hi,

Probably a dumb question here, and I've read my SE manual, and I've read Andy S.'s book, but I was reading a post on a Minelab Explorer forum that was posted by an Englishman where he stated that he and his son regularly hunted with a program that called for the Recovery Speed to where both Fast and Deep where OFF (i.e., not selected).

I am a little confused by this as I have come to understand that that a person must select (set ON) at least one mode of Recovery - either Fast or Deep; Further I've come to understand that one should never set both Fast and Deep to ON (i.e., select both Fast and Deep at the same time.

Please help me overcome my wondering.

Thank you,
Doug M.

i hunt with both OFF.

deep elongates the deeper signals, and can be a bit slow in resetting, so you might miss some targets.

fast resets quicker but seems to clip signals.

i use both off, and do extremely well. i also hunt in CONDUCT, gain at 7, variability and limits at 10. generally i hunt with sensitivity between 27-30, iron mask -6.

n/t

You can use both of them if you want too. Some prefer to only use one at a time and some don't use them at all. The Explorer comes factory set with both of them off. I prefer not to use them at all unless I'm in a super trashy spot. Below is a reply I got from Glenn that I thought was a good read.

HH Randy

ABOUT THE GAIN FUNCTION

GAIN is a linear function which means that all signals get "amplified" by the same amount until the resulting signal hits the limit value. What follows are some illustrations.

#1 If you set the GAIN to 1, then for most targets you will get a measure of how deep the target is by the loudness of the tone. The disadvantage is that the deeper targets may produce tones that will be so weak that they are easy to miss.

#2 If you set the GAIN to 10, then the deeper targets will produce a louder tone than for the GAIN setting of 1. This makes the deeper targets easier to hear. The disadvantage is that many of the shallow targets will hit the limit and all have the same loudness. This causes you to lose the ability to determine depth based upon the loudness of the tone (for the shallower targets).

ABOUT THE DEEP FUNCTION

DEEP is a nonlinear function which means that the weaker signals will be amplified more than the stronger signals. This makes the deeper targets easier to hear without driving the shallow targets into the limit. The disadvantage is that your overall ability to judge depth by tone loudness becomes somewhat degraded.

Hope this is not too confusing.

HH,
Glenn

Interesting. Where do you run your gain with fast=off deep=off ?

Thanks,

J

i run gain at 7. i've been toying with deep ON last few days. yesterday with deep ON i found 4 mercs and a franklin half all in a couple of hours. but i had a twenty-silver day a couple of weeks ago with deep OFF, so it just depends.

found with deep ON:

Thanks a lot guys. I've gone all four directions with Fast and Deep and over the weekend ran with both off. My son - using a DFX - and I - with the SE - did pretty well over the weekend, in about 10 of hunting over Saturday and Sunday hours we dug well over $30 face value clad/copper, five silver quarters (1897, 1937, 1940d, 1942s, US 1964d, & Canada 1964), six silver dimes (2x 1942, 1944, 1962, 2x 1964), an aluminum $50 Spiegel token (about 2.5

Oops, my bad... I've got a new Sun Ray Stealth X-12 Coil and a new Sun Ray X-8 coil coming, not Excellorator coils.