Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Recovery Speed “anomaly”

COOL !!! Just a thought did you ground noise cancel before air test??? I saw a explorer 2 that wouldn't hit squat till it was ground noise cancelled.

I just been to dealer and bought a new 705 . it has better tones and clearer too . I think its deeper. On the dry beach that is.

Nuke em said:
After doing some simple air testing I realized that with a recovery speed of 7 or 8 it would only get about 3" depth on a silver mercury dime. When lowering the recovery speed to 1 I was able to get about 12-13" on a merc dime. So recovery speed greatly changes depth capability for sure. Bill S also told me that to get depth you need to have Iron Bias at zero which makes sense. I ran Iron Bias at zero all day yesterday and had no issues even at a sensitivity of 22 so I think it's safe to say that Iron Bias should be a zero most of the time. So for max depth I would run Iron Bias at zero and recovery speed at 3 or less, ideally 1. With that being said is there a way to change the tones on the eq 800? Seems like a low recover speed changes the audio tone to more of a long smooth sound that sort of drives me nuts lol.

Well if we have to use such low recovery speed then why not stay with our slow ET / Explorer's and such !
Tomorrow i will be out with my Explorer 11 , it has good sounds , good depth and good enough recovery speed . I need depth right now even if my arm will ache.

recovery speed 1 is still probly 4 times faster than the etrac

Nuke em said:
I just been to dealer and bought a new 705 . it has better tones and clearer too . I think its deeper. On the dry beach that is.

LMAO wrong but enjoy your 705, I guess you wont have to come here anymore to complain :p

bigelow said:

LMAO wrong but enjoy your 705, I guess you wont have to come here anymore to complain :p

I tested both machines at the dealer and the Terra tones are better . I still have the Equinox . Complaining ? Just telling it how it is .

I have heard that the Terra's might be discontinued in a while . My advice is to bring out a new 705 with 3 freqs in 1 coil but keep the tones and numbers the same . Base it on the Equinox box and coil and stem but thats all. Or there will be a big gap between the Go Find and the Equinox .

bigelow said:
After doing some simple air testing I realized that with a recovery speed of 7 or 8 it would only get about 3" depth on a silver mercury dime. When lowering the recovery speed to 1 I was able to get about 12-13" on a merc dime. So recovery speed greatly changes depth capability for sure. Bill S also told me that to get depth you need to have Iron Bias at zero which makes sense. I ran Iron Bias at zero all day yesterday and had no issues even at a sensitivity of 22 so I think it's safe to say that Iron Bias should be a zero most of the time. So for max depth I would run Iron Bias at zero and recovery speed at 3 or less, ideally 1. With that being said is there a way to change the tones on the eq 800? Seems like a low recover speed changes the audio tone to more of a long smooth sound that sort of drives me nuts lol.

**oops I see now above you figured something out to get normal depths, anyhow heres my video test to help anyone who it may**

something wrong with your machine here I just ran different modes air testing Park 1 at max recovery ( 8 ) i hit a merc at 6-7" clearly and deeper im sure with headphones recovery (1) nearly 12"
https://youtu.be/NrnEy4WehGo

I had a bunch of different targets and was taking notes about settings and depth and I think I just wrote the number down wrong. I knew that seemed very shallow but didn't think much of it until you guys had different results lol.

calabash digger said:
COOL !!! Just a thought did you ground noise cancel before air test??? I saw a explorer 2 that wouldn't hit squat till it was ground noise cancelled.

Ya I was in my garage so noise canceled for sure. I have a very thin gold chain that I was testing in Park 2 and it gets 3" with recovery 8 I think I just got that number mixed up. One thing I have noticed is that noise cancel doesn't seem to do much as far as quieting down the machine but I feel the etrac and CTX were the same way. I don't mind falsing and blips from high sense but emi really bugs me.

@cutaplug - thanks for the recovery speed correction!

I am thinking of running in 4 and testing up and down to find what works well in my soil for deeper coins (mostly, my target). I won't touch 7 and 8.
In clean fields, I will run really low of course.

I don’t fear the loss of depth as much with fast Recovery Speed after yesterday’s hunt..
I hit a nice soft repeatable high tone in Recovery 4 ( on the 800) and checked all speeds from
1 to 8 before I dug the target.. All speeds hit nicely although the tones are clipped considerably
at the highest speeds as would be expected.. Still repeatable from all angles..
The target end up being an 8” Barber Dime.. No doubt on depth.
I took care to excavate the coin for my own benefit of learning the Equinox..
Found in Park 1 - Sensitivity 21- 50 Tones - No Discrimination- Recovery 4 and Iron Bias 0

Bryan

Cutaplug, you wrote:
Something pretty cool happened today with recovery speed. I had a chance to get out for about an hour today at a permission and got a good signal up by the home’s front steps where there was a decent amount of trash. Running in recovery 4 I got a decent high tone that was repeatable but cutting out. Raised the recovery to 7 and it separated perfectly and sounded loud and clear in all directions. Lowered recovery to 2 and pretty much lost the signal completely, even when swinging very slowly. Dug it up and it was a wheatie at about 3-4 inches. The size/shape of the field under the coils changing due to recovery speed seemed hypothetical on the CTX/etrac but can be easily noticed on the 800.

That being the case that raising recovery on the 800 to "7" produces a cleaner signal, why not run it all the time at 7?
I have not received my 800 yet. But we still have snow on the ground here anyway.

Tony N (Michigan) said:
That being the case that raising recovery on the 800 to "7" produces a cleaner signal, why not run it all the time at 7?
I have not received my 800 yet. But we still have snow on the ground here anyway.

It’s more complex then that..
You want to dial in for you Conditions, both soil and trash density..
You lose a lot of audio information with faster recovery speeds with clipped signals..
Deeper signals could be more easily missed because of the short clipped signal..
You need to find a good balance for your site..

Bryan

Tony N (Michigan) said:
Cutaplug, you wrote:
Something pretty cool happened today with recovery speed. I had a chance to get out for about an hour today at a permission and got a good signal up by the home’s front steps where there was a decent amount of trash. Running in recovery 4 I got a decent high tone that was repeatable but cutting out. Raised the recovery to 7 and it separated perfectly and sounded loud and clear in all directions. Lowered recovery to 2 and pretty much lost the signal completely, even when swinging very slowly. Dug it up and it was a wheatie at about 3-4 inches. The size/shape of the field under the coils changing due to recovery speed seemed hypothetical on the CTX/etrac but can be easily noticed on the 800.

The cleaner signal was because there was a lot of trash in that area. Recovery speed 7 narrowed the signal so it separated it from the other nearby targets and provided a better audio tone. At 7 recovery speed you will lose at least an inch or two on depth which could make you miss deep targets in lower trash areas with deep coins. I think knowing how to quickly evaluate the amount of trash in the ground is very important on the eq 800 because it allows the user to adjust recovery speed on the fly and get the best performance out of the machine. I did some door knocking today and pulled 4 silver dimes with the 800 and a bunch of wheats from both low trash and high trash areas by constantly listening to the ground and tweaking the recovery speed. When I lived in MO with deep loose soil I would say 75% of my silver coins were picked up at 6" or deeper. Now that I'm in TN I would say the average silver dime is about 4" deep. So it really depends on the ground conditions where your at and what type of detecting you like to do (low trash or high trash).

earthmansurfer said:
@cutaplug - thanks for the recovery speed correction!

I am thinking of running in 4 and testing up and down to find what works well in my soil for deeper coins (mostly, my target). I won't touch 7 and 8.
In clean fields, I will run really low of course.

Sounds like a good plan. I have been running on 4 for general hunting and it seems to be doing well. 3 and below start to produce a much longer audio signal than I like but in very low trash sites with deep targets they might help squeak out the really deep stuff. Looking forward to watching your videos. I don't have much super deep stuff here so I have to watch your live digs to keep up my deep coin skills =)

Cutaplug said:
Cutaplug, you wrote:

The cleaner signal was because there was a lot of trash in that area. Recovery speed 7 narrowed the signal so it separated it from the other nearby targets and provided a better audio tone. At 7 recovery speed you will lose at least an inch or two on depth which could make you miss deep targets in lower trash areas with deep coins. I think knowing how to quickly evaluate the amount of trash in the ground is very important on the eq 800 because it allows the user to adjust recovery speed on the fly and get the best performance out of the machine. I did some door knocking today and pulled 4 silver dimes with the 800 and a bunch of wheats from both low trash and high trash areas by constantly listening to the ground and tweaking the recovery speed. When I lived in MO with deep loose soil I would say 75% of my silver coins were picked up at 6" or deeper. Now that I'm in TN I would say the average silver dime is about 4" deep. So it really depends on the ground conditions where your at and what type of detecting you like to do (low trash or high trash).

Thanks Cutaplug.
Thanks also for the nice YouTube videos you have put out over the years.
I was afraid that upping recovery speed would be like the Deus where depth is lost the higher the Reactivity is set. Life is made of trade-offs.
Like marriage, one often has to put up with the nagging to get to the good stuff. :laugh:

Bryan V said:

It’s more complex then that..
You want to dial in for you Conditions, both soil and trash density..
You lose a lot of audio information with faster recovery speeds with clipped signals..
Deeper signals could be more easily missed because of the short clipped signal..
You need to find a good balance for your site..

Bryan

Much of the old coins where I live here in Michigan have sunk to great depths. So running higher recovery settings would be defeating.
However, there are places around here where this is not the case. And so, like you said, we want to dial in for our conditions.
Thanks, bud!