Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

recovery speed-iron- good target

Jason73

I have been considering getting a v3, v3i or a vx3 and possible another brand of detector [fisher].I would like to know what the recovery speed is between iron and a good target is because alot of the parks and other sites are a iron grave yard .i mostly coin hunt but would like to start relic hunt [Civil war] also considering the fisher gold bug pro also.Maybe someone that has both machines can tell what they like about either machine.
i cost of the gold bug pro is about half the cost of the v3i but not sure how good it is on coins..Any help will be appreciated

jason73

The recovery speed (delay) is fully adjustable from 1 to 200, but 45 to 100 is about the operating range that most use.

FYI, I usually run with the delay set to 90, which is a slow recovery time. When I work in trashy area I set it much faster...Usually around 45. The slower speed allows the detector more time to process deep signals making it less likely to miss it.

I hunt in heavy iron. A lower recovery is often what most guys run with. I think something that is VERY IMPORTANT IS RUNNING CORRELATE. Sorry to yell, but it makes a huge difference with correlate. Not only is correlate GREAT in heavy iron but it really quiets things down there as well. I made a video of the V3i in iron, it will give you an ok idea of the sounds and pulling harder to get targets. I'll link it at the bottom. I don't get into the recovery delay really, but that is the easy part! (Note different sized coils also).

The way to go is probably a smaller coil but you will get results with the stock coil as well. A recovery delay for the stock coil in iron is what was said previously. Out here in Europe we even go lower. BUT, when running correlate you don't (apparently) have to go as low (fast recovery speed) and rather higher may be better as you are giving correlate more time to compare and correlate the frequencies (But you have to test this due to all the variables in different grounds). Do a search on setting up correlate. Also, you probably don't want to overpower (sensitivity) your detector. That can do more harm than good. In heavier iron I often drop it down. But you will know from how the detector reacts with the ground and if it falses.

Something I run in all the time that was mentioned by another poster (Cybersage) is running modulation at 2 (especially where there is lots of iron). I have thoroughly tested this and it doesn't affect deep coins (no modulation) but does quiet falsing on deep iron (in my ground - low mineralization but high iron mineralization).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you,
Albert

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0myj4kRMCok[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thXVLhUqsGQ[/video]

thanks to everyone for your comments. great videos--- still on the fence what i will buy
how does the dfx 300 compare to the v3i?

thanks ems another great video,,, just shows people there,s alot more than just pickin up the machine and finding a basket full. you have to learn your machine wether its a low end or a highend. they tell us what there we just have to learn what language theyre speakin in. hh

EM, I tried correlate just now on the freshly buried 11" quarter, which I was pleased to find that the V hit fairly well in Best Data, but it was also tagging some iron. I had trouble in correlate hitting the coin, when Best Data actually detected it at an RX of as low as 7. Correlate did detect it but required 12-14 gain. I am still undecided for using one over the other. Is there a tweak in correlate to rectify that issue? martin

Yes you can.

Deeper coins will hit on the 3 frequencies more differently then a shallower one.

With span you can adjust how different they will hit and still give you a target tone.

But you will lose some of the iron rejection or falsing immunity obtained by correlate.

Use best data in clean sites and look for the high hits made by the two lowest frequencies and use correlate in the iron.

As depth increases VDI will be less accurate. A tighter span will therefore miss more targets. As depth increases you will most likely need to increase the span to accommodate this inaccuracy. Jack uses correlate and you will notice he uses a wide span setting.