Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Relic Hunt in Fauquier County Virginia

MSG Hoff

Decided to take a little trip to Fauquier County Virginia for some relic hunting. The area hunted has been hammered by XLT, DFX, and Minelab Explorer. I don't have to tell you that the soil here in Fauquier County is one of the worst in the country. In some areas, depth is drastically reduced on the XLT and DFX to 3 or 4 inches because of the ground minerals.

These bullets were pulled out at depths from 6" to 9.5". I have been hunting this same piece of ground since 1974 with White's Detectors from a 5000-D to the DFX300. This was my first time hunting it with my Vision.

I was using a slightly modified relic program. Three Frequencies off and 7.5 on. Rx Gain at 5 and Discrimination at 85 and All Metal at 65. All Metal on and VCO off in Search Audio. Pinpoint Audio VCO also off. With these settings the Vision was totally stable. I could run with RX Gain at 7 with a little noise. Also, I could leave the RX Gain at 7 and crank the Discrimination to 70 and All Metal to 50 and it was stable. Did not see much difference so put it back to 85/65. I was using the standard 10DD coil.

Day one was about 4 hours of hunting. I was getting used to the Vision in Relic mode...a lot different than the DFX.

The bullets would hit most of the time in the 70 - 95 VDI range. Going to analzye mode was worthless. Most of the time the readings would be a -30 up to -95. Occassionally it would read a positive number.

The hits were a nice soft tone in the search mode. In the pinpoint mode I had to detune the detector to narrow the signal area. I could not distinguish between a nail at 8" or a bullet at 8". They were both loud and clear in the pinpoint mode. No double blips in the search mode, at least not on hits at this depth.

Without a doubt I would not have been as successful if I was using my XLT or DFX in this area (and I have many, many times). I can see missing a few bullets but not over 50 bullets. I just cannot say enough good things about the Vision.

J.R.

Fantastic hunting with the V. I'm glad it is working for you in the bad ground.

I wish I had been there. What a great day an a good endorsement of the V3. Nice write up and good information. Rob

Real nice digs I just got back from hunt in that part of VA. Nasty dirt. Used setup very similar to yours and was sucessful. Very nice variety of musket, carbine and pistol bullets

Hi J.R.,

I've been living Fauquier, VA for about 5 months and using the V3 for about 9 months. I am finally feeling confident with my machine but am having a hard time finding good places to hunt. It seems like the places I have gotten permission are either hunted out or never were good to begin with. I can't complain because I have had a few really good finds in other areas. I just would like to find a couple of places closer to home.

My settings are similar to yours and I am having similar results as far as being able to pick up deep targets but not able to tell the nails from the relics. If your not in a good relic spot digging trash all day, most days gets old fast. But I am getting lot's of good exercise digging all of those holes!

I am trying to get some new sites and have some leads on campsites in Warrenton area. Would you be interested in relic hunting together the next time you are in the Fauquier County area? Also any other V3 users in this area I woud like to go out together and compare settings and results.

JoePhoto
Mosby Country, VA

One more question about bad soil in this area. Has anyone else noticed that sometimes you can pick up signals in search mode that don't register at all in pinpoint mode. I have tried digging these and had a couple good finds, but usually there is nothing there. Sometimes I get a negative effect when trying to pinpoint with sound everywhere but directly over the target and an upside down hump in analyze mode (are these hotrocks?) Sometimes I get no sound at all from pinpoint and have a hard time telling where to dig or whether to dig at all.

My question is how do I increase sensitivity of pinpoint mode to match sensitivity of discrimination in areas of really bad ground? I tried just turning up the all metal sensitivity but that doesn't seem to work. Also I have noticed that this problem seems to happen the most in heavily wooded areas with damp soil.

JoePhoto
Mosby Country, VA

At Div Ihad those types of signals and were always hot rocks. The higher you go on all metal sensitivity the harder it is to pinpoint exact area. Thats why I bought a handheld pinpointer. What filter are you using in that hot dirt?

J.R,

I use the 10 Band filter and sometimes the 7.5 Band. I have tried them all but the contrary to what the manual says the band filters seem to work the best in the mineralized soil. Although the difference is not that much. I think that there is probably more diffference between filters in good soil.

JoePhoto
Mosby Country, VA

Jason in TN said:
I may be wrong on that but from what I understood they do not matter in all metal.

Jason

The audio doesn't use the data from the filters, but the target ID and the spectragraph uses the filter data (all metal search). The filters aren't running in pinpoint.

ak_1234 said:
Jason in TN said:
I may be wrong on that but from what I understood they do not matter in all metal.

Jason

The audio doesn't use the data from the filters, but the target ID and the spectragraph uses the filter data (all metal search). The filters aren't running in pinpoint.

Thanks for the Info

Jason

chenier, My french is bad but if your finding coins like that.....superb!!

MSG, Very nice job in finding a groove for yourself! That has been one heck of a hunt for you!