Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Replacement NiMH batts?

Atlas

Hi All,

I have two bad batteries (flashing red led on charger) from the original set (1.2v 2400mAh Duracell's) that came with the machine. However I got the machine used so I have no idea how many cycles the remaining 6 have been through.

I checked back on the forum and found a thread from 2014 on Batteries and the ATX which is very informative. From this thread it looks like you can use NiMH batteries with many different mAh ratings in the ATX?

I found some 1.2v - 2500mAh Duracell's at the store for around $12 for a 4 pack. The guys at the battery store wanted to sell me their brand and they may have been 2600 or higher.

Anyway just wanted to check and see if these higher mAh rated batteries were OK to run in the ATX and can be charged on the Garrett charger?

Thanks for the help

HH

You would be best to replace the 4 together with the same brand / mAH & rating. You can not really trust the mAH ratings between brands and even lot numbers. The other two cells, may also be on the way out. My suggestion: Buy 4 name brand cells and be done, it is not worth the aggravation you may suffer if you mix brand / rating of the cells.

Thanks WW.

I was definitely planning on getting a full set of 8 new NiMH for the ATX.

What I was really wondering was if it matters what mAh ratting you get. I have 2400 mAh and a friend has 2500.

I've read that there are even higher levels like 3000 mAh.

Kind of a secondary thing but I pulled the alkaline set from my last hunt and they are reading 5.53 volts per pack so the two packs together would be just over 11 volts. On that hunt after around 6 hours of hunting these alkaline batts. were giving the yellow warning light on the ATX. I thought the minimum voltage needed for the ATX was 7.2 of something like that. Anyway just a little puzzled why the ATX was giving a yellow batt. warning at 11 volts on an alkaline pack. Maybe that is normal? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

HH

WaterWalker said:
You would be best to replace the 4 together with the same brand / mAH & rating. You can not really trust the mAH ratings between brands and even lot numbers. The other two cells, may also be on the way out. My suggestion: Buy 4 name brand cells and be done, it is not worth the aggravation you may suffer if you mix brand / rating of the cells.

X2!
Avoid ebay no name/off brand, inflated rating batteries. Eneloop, (Fujitsu, Panasonic), and Duracell seem to be top rated.

Agree with Coast40, also I was thinking I was on the ATPro forum when I typed 4 cells, It is 8 for the ATX, you got that.

The capacity can be "fudged" by the manufacturer's testing methood. The physical constraints (at this time) is about 2600mAH - don't believe the 2800 plus ratings.

Alkaline readings are normal...
One reason you read a higher voltage that should keep the yellow light OFF is that the cells are not under load. The load on the ATX is somewhere in the neighborhood of 172mA. The cell / pack voltage will be lower when they are under load due to the internal resistance of the cells. When you test the voltage there is virtually no current draw, hence no internal voltage drop. Ohms Law...

The ATPro draws down around 63mA.

ATPro power pack (new / charged, no load): ATX is the same as each of the two packs for a total of (VDC)
AA 1.5 X 4 = 6 12
NiCad 1.2 X 4 = 4.8 9.6
NiMH 1.2 X 4 = 4.8 9.6

My ATX will run for an additional 50 or so minutes after the warning comes on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help.

I'm going to get some of the Duracell 1.2v/2500mAH's I saw the other day. I can't keep feeding the ATX those alkaline batts. That machine is hungry and gobbles them up.

HH

Good choice!
I keep track of the hours I detect and always allow 4 hours for the next hunt. So if the batteries give the yellow warning at 16 hour I would recharge the battery packs after 11 to 13 hours of use and always carry a spare set of alkaline. I also rotate the alkaline after carrying them for 6 months.

I must live in a different universe. I have newer eneloops, and even my old Energizers, will only give me about 4 hours of detecting time. I only get out about 2 hours a pop, so every other outing gets recharged batteries. Twice I've gotten to the beach and turned on my detector only to get 2 beeps and then have it die out in no time. I always check before I leave the house now. If not 4 beeps, I change them. I envy you guys who get plenty of time out of your batteries. Good thing I'm only good for a couple of hours at a time anyway. Especially in deep water, my wrist get fairly sore from the water resistance and I'm only swinging a carbon shaft and a 10x14 infinium coil. No way I could swing the whole ATX for hours on end.