Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Research might pay off!

dont know nutin

I found this info on a sight less then 1 mile from my home! and have gotten permission to detect there!. Its hard to believe such a place has been next to my home and I never knew! Heres what I found, you tell me if I should detect there? (I have edited out the exact location I dont want a stampede)
The barn near the intersection of **** *** **** and County *** * marks the location where the small community of ***** ***** once stood.

The Barn has "Jackson Farm 1847" painted on its side, and at one time housed a stage shop, stable, blacksmith shop and shoe shop.

In 1845, David J. Best operated a store and post office there, where he was postmaster.

Best was the first shoe and boot maker in the township, and the community was known as **** ******* before the name was changed to ***** ***** because Civil War solders trained at a nearby creek before heading south.

***** *****most famous resident was John Wesley Powell, who would be the first to explore the Grand Canyon.

He lived in ***** ***** from 1846 to 1850.

His report, "The Canyon of the Colorado," prompted the government to start the first comprehensive geological survey in the West.

Powell made almost 30 more trips to the area, and was the first to advance the theory that the canyon was carved by wind, water and weather over time.

Powell was born in New York in 1834. From New York, the family moved to Ohio, and in the fall of 1846, moved to Wisconsin.

On Nov. 25, 1846 they bought 120 acres of land from Best for $1,200.

In 1849, the Powells bought another adjoining piece of land from David Larkin, which gave them a total of 160 acres.

Although the native Americans had ceded this land in 1833, they often came back to camp on the north side of the creek.

Powell would visit them with his mother and two sisters, and learn about the early history of the area.

Powell served in the Union Army and rose in rank from private to lieutenant colonel. He lost his right arm in the Battle of Shiloh in 1862.

After the war, he began his explorations. While exploring the Colorado mountains, he decided to continue by exploring the Colorado and Green rivers.

His 900-mile trip began in May 1869, and after spending three months on the river, he discovered the Grand Canyon.

He directed the U.S Geological Survey from 1880 to 1894, and served as head of the Bureau of Indian Ethnology from 1879 until his death Sept. 23, 1902. Also, Union troops trained at the creek here before heading south!. Who knows what treasures I might find here! All the land at this town sight is open and clean of structures. The foundations of the town buildings are still there as well as the wells!. And its never been hunted before!. I put a photo of the barn here I pass it everyday on the way to work.(I NEVER KNEW)

Lots of history on that location.
Good luck with detecting it.

Quote..[size=x-large]you tell me if I should detect there[/size]?

Don't walk Run to that spot..and then crawl around it slow and easy..Dig all..Might be the best spot you ever detected..Potential is enormous

I'm sorry but I just found your post so humorous...how you blocked out the locations etc. I googled Jackson farm 1847 and in about 2 seconds found articles telling all about this location. I live in VA so no worries there. I'd say you have a winner there but if anyone else lives anywhere close that's reading this forum, they'll be rushing there too.
Happy hunting.........hurry.....

You might do OK with the trespassers, but you guys aren't going to find many goodies without detectors! :rofl:

hahaha, i can tell your're real excited about this likely - looking spot! yessir, i would be too! all i would have to see were the letters 1-8-4-7! i just know there's some good stuff there. unfortunately, i'm very far from you - central virginia. i appreciate the invitation, but i cannot join you on this one. i think your're gonna do well at this old site. just go low and slow, and let us know how it goes. thanks, and hh!

:usaa:Can I join your group? I got a Remington 700 varmint special BDL with 4-12 power scope, 223 cal. I use to hunt whistle pigs. Zeroed in at 250 yards. But at that range, I have to have a rest. I have to tell you though, I never shot at a coin that far.:usaflag: