Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Research

Just wondering what others use as resources before they go out MDing?

I have used older maps of area's, but sometimes without much luck

Do any of you ask permission to dig sights?

What methods do you use?

Mark

Talk to the oldsters. They all know what happened where and love to talk about it.

I agree with KIn. You might even volunteer to detect these older resources' properties if you mention to them that you could be useful in finding lost jewelry and other personal items of sentimental value in exchange for keeping old toys, tools,buttons that you might recover. ( We never mention old coins).
Historicaerials.com is a popular map system many of us across all forums here use. Depending on what area of the country you live in, here in N.J., they have aerial photography going back to 1920, and topographical maps (listed below the years) for locating homes, cemetaries, houses of worship, out-bldgs, and schools.Using the slide feature, one can toggle back and forth between the older years and any year up to 2007. Just download Microsoft's silverlight when prompted, for full viewing (no cost). http://www.historicaerials.com. Enjoy.

Nice tip... I will try to look it over....

I am in Rhode Island, now.... just getting back at it after a little time out of the hobby

Thanks for the tip

Local meseums are a GREAT source. Usually they have old maps on display as well. Agree with talking to older MD people as well.

Get hold of old maps from mining and other websites and overlay onto Google earth images, after adjusting the scales to register.
Amazing what extra detail you can pick up doing this !!

Pull up and talk to the "Oldies" -

Oops, I'm getting to be a bit of an "Oldie" myself. Best send the "Youngies" to the sites that are too hard for me now and keep the easy ones to myself.

Pete Down-under

Research the Library of Congress map site. It paid off for me.
Found long forgotten battle sites and compared the LOC
maps to Google maps. Found the most likely routes used by the attackers
or dirt roads used to assemble the defenders. Found unit histories and personal
diary accounts too. It's fun and rewarding!
Took a friend with me a few times. His pouch bulging with relics asked, "Man,
how did you find this place?" Now you know, too. Good luck!