Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Results of a bored Dragoon soldier.......:cry:

Dale(Ia)

Me and my hunting buddy went back to our Dragoon Fort site yesterday that we have hammered to death.
The Dragoons were at this site only from October 1842-April 1843 to keep settlers from forcing the Indians from their land. Two-thirds of the site was washed away by the river.
We are down to digging the "nail" signals! I did dig two musketballs, also.
I got a 'typical" nail signal (nulling with a squeak) & because I was bored at not digging anything (& it sounded just slightly different) I decided to dig it........Was very surprised when at 9" (& on edge) I broke open the clump to see the small, reeded edge! Knew it was going to be a "goodie" so walked a quarter mile back to the car to get a bottle of water to clean it.Was kind of dissapointed when I washed the face and saw it was an 1833 Capped Bust 5c that had been beaten "severely about the head & shoulders" :cry:
I'm guessing it was done by a bored soldier during that long, cold, winter in their make-shift "fort" (was a Fur Trading post).
We have found about 20-30 "Dragoon" & "Great Coat" buttons & other artifacts on this site but only an 1842 Seated 10c & half a dozen LC's.

Iowa Dale

Its a heck of a lot better than digging a 9" corroded nail.

"I got a 'typical" nail signal (nulling with a squeak)..."
Were you in conductive while discriminating iron out?

I've found deep coins with similar indications in dense iron
Good 2-way conductive hi tones yet the cursor solidly sticks in the bottom iron corner. ID all over the map. Typically 4TF with iron wide open.
After digging the target the PP'er usually indicates something else in the hole. Almost always a piece of corroded iron.
Bottom line, tones rule!

Wow! Even in that condition, I'm happy for ya! Nice find! Thanks for the pictures.

NebTrac

ironsight said:
Its a heck of a lot better than digging a 9" corroded nail.

"I got a 'typical" nail signal (nulling with a squeak)..."
Were you in conductive while discriminating iron out?

I've found deep coins with similar indications in dense iron
Good 2-way conductive hi tones yet the cursor solidly sticks in the bottom iron corner. ID all over the map. Typically 4TF with iron wide open.
After digging the target the PP'er usually indicates something else in the hole. Almost always a piece of corroded iron.
Bottom line, tones rule!
Definately in Conductive & discriminating some iron out! As you so famously say,,,,,,,,,,,,,Tones Rule!!!!

HH! Iowa Dale

I'm with the other guys,it's still a very good find! I would rather find one marked up with a date than one worn so bad you can't
read the date.:rolleyes:.