Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Results of todays hunt

Jim upstate NY

First off let me say I am an idiot.. after doing the air tests this AM, I decided to just toss the etrac in the car... of course I forgot I was doing the air test without head phones, so drove the 45 minutes and walking a quarter mile in the woods before realizing I had no head phones.. Oh well too far to go back and rain was threatening to start any minute.. Anyway I set it up in the relic mode and tried two tones.. well I tell you what even though I was in the woods it was embarrassing.. then when I heard gun shots I felt even worse.. I am sure the guy shooting his gun thought someone had tackled a goose and was terrorizing it by pulling one feather out at a time.. heOOOONk heOOONk......... so that being said I switched over to multi tone ferrous which is really two tone... that quieted it down a bit, but still alot of falsing.. So I switched to quick mask and edited out the bottom up to fe 22.. was still getting some falses up in the 1-30 range so I edited out the 1-30 thru 40 range.. Now it was more like the explorer except for no variable tones above iron, just some low broken tones and the real hits were a solid low tone.. hunted a while with the pro coil with no luck, so switched to the X5.. while I didn't get a lot of signals, I did manage 3 buttons and a couple pieces of pewter, one of the buttons was real thick about the size of a nickle and looked silver.. I actually thought I had some old silver foreign coin till I got home and cleaned it.. was quite a bummer... On the way out I hunted another hole that is also pretty pounded and quickly got a button and a small horse buckle out of the iron.. So if nothing else the etrac does seem to handle the iron well enough, and probably better than the SE.. I think I can use it with the pattern I got and ferrous "multi" tone setting.. would know and maybe done better if I had my headphones..

Another thing I realized is that the reason Minelab probably did away with the multi toned ferrous, is because it would drive you nuts with all the bouncing hits in iron? I couldn't even take the two tone setting.. but the multi mode does keep the falsing as low growls for the most part.. So all this being said, I will keep it another week and try a few of my other spots out.. it did seem to hit pretty hard on the few signals I got today in that tough iron, and was getting 5 or so inches deep with the x5.. while one button was hidden pretty good up against the foundation the other three were definitely in spots I been over a hundred times..

Oh and I also found a first today,, two pieces of pottery that were actually setting off the etrac.. must be lead paint or something...
I did dig on a few that were iffy and ended up being rusty nails.. and I dug a few pieces of rusty tin, as well as one flat piece of iron, but none of them hit as hard as the buttons did

Hey Jim, So you are saying that editing out 1-30 to 1-40 stopped the falsing? I'm having the same problem, but the deep wheats are hitting in the 1-30's range. I'm not having the problem of depth here in Louisville, Ky: auto sens +3, is running between 19 up to 23 or so but the falsing is not good. As for my serial #XQ112071 was from the 2nd batch that Lynn @ Detector Depot received. Hopefully Andy's book will give us some more insight on these problems of falsing and depth. :shrug:EddieB

for the most part it stopped the iron falsing.. every 1-30 I dung on was a rusty nail. or nothing in the hole... maybe those wheats will still come through even with that bit notched out.. but again this was ferrous multi mode.. any other way I got high toned falsing.. but after the edit I didnt try other audio modes again, so maybe it would clear that up too.. I am going to try and build a better pattern for relic mode before going out next time.. I dont think anything good comes in at the highest cond range? at least I never see anything good above 48.. so I am thinking of notching out that whole 49-50 range too.. then maybe even conductive audio might work.. just hate rejecting too much... but the falsing in iron I just cant take, I have to stop and recheck every blip.. I would prefer to hear some tones, so if I can get a pattern that knocks out most iron falsing I hope to be able to use cond in iron... I should have tried more today... If I build a couple patterns and modes and save them.. I can switch between them on next targets I get in that thick iron to see how they react to more or less rejection and different audio..

Thanks Jim, I see the same falsing in the high conductive. Maybe with all us working together and sharing we can come up with something that cuts down on the falsing. Just wonder if Coinnut is on to something with his theory on the depth issue! Thanks again, EddieB