Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Resurrected Excal

I received this old blue excal 800 from a friend of mine that was in pretty bad shape. The coil and headphones were trashed but it was my first excalibur so I was up for a challenge to having a fully modded unit. I took it all apart and this is what I did:

-Coil swap mod with new 8" and 10" (not pictured) coils from an excal II
-Remote PP mod with push button switch
-Custom built detachable waterproof headphones. I call them the PB7's
-New orings and silica packs
-Converted recharge pack to alkaline
-New knobs, Plugger shaft and custom decals.

So far it runs good. Still needs a full testing but I am happy with it. Thanks to OBN for the part and inspiration.

Looks good Salt. Big difference in the before and after. Nice job on the decal. That's what I'm working on now, trying to find the old blue decal.

surfman said:
Looks good Salt. Big difference in the before and after. Nice job on the decal. That's what I'm working on now, trying to find the old blue decal.

Thanks surfman, I was gonna make the original decal but went custom instead. I could probably make the original however I do have the full custom decal pack that I created for this project which includes all models (800,1000, II) in 3 colors (blue, green, yellow)
If youre interested in the one I made, just let me know and I can send you the link to download the full decal pack to print them. I can also do custom colors if interested as well but that will take a couple days.

I don't blame you. Those custom decals look pretty sweet. I like them and will let you know. Let us know how you do with it.

Brother that thing is sweet!! Makes mine look like a Rat xcal...Very NIce work!

Do you swing your Excal with your left arm? I noticed the location of the battery pod and the main tube. I swing with the battery pod close to my body and the knobs pointing out the thought being if I bump the knobs against my body I might change a setting or damage a pod. Just curious. Unit looks great.

ROBOCOP

OldBeechnut said:
Brother that thing is sweet!! Makes mine look like a Rat xcal...Very NIce work!

Thanks OBN!!! Coming from you means a lot. But youre the one that makes it look easy. I did take my time with it and Im happy with the result, just hoping it performs as good as it looks.

ROBOCOP said:
Do you swing your Excal with your left arm? I noticed the location of the battery pod and the main tube. I swing with the battery pod close to my body and the knobs pointing out the thought being if I bump the knobs against my body I might change a setting or damage a pod. Just curious. Unit looks great.

ROBOCOP

Thanks! Yes, I actually swing with my left when I water hunt and use my right arm when I land hunt if that makes any sense....This is mainly because I use a heavy scoop and since I am right handed, its easier to scoop using the right side. Im used to it now but I had to think it about that when put the pods on for the first time.

Please send me the link to download the full decal pack to print them
at harleybilly@gmail.com
thanks in an advance

bill

harleybilly said:
Please send me the link to download the full decal pack to print them
at harleybilly@gmail.com
thanks in an advance

bill

Sent you the link to download them. If anyone wants copies, just let me know. Thanks.

Another restored/resurrected excal has joined the fleet. My friend that I got the original excal from was a bit jealous so I had to modify his as well. It was another old blue 800 (1st gen) which was in much cleaner shape.
It has the same exact mods...remote push button PP, coil swap mod (all coils interchangeable), new headphones built by me (PB7's), new straight shaft, decals, new knobs, orings and silica packs.

jtalley007 said:
You, OBN, and Mel to name a few

Thanks but those two deserve all the credit. I just did a few custom projects for myself although I will say it is fun. I just wish I had more time but unfortunately that wont be for quite a while when I retire.

Very nice machine! Perfect machine hungry for gold now :)

Where i can find information these mods?

I have an old used excal 1000. I hasn't was luck with it. Used couple months and it leaked into the old Orings. I was neewbie in water metal detecting.Until now rested in the corner, there was no need to. I hunt freshwater usually with other machines. Eddig pihent a sarokban, nem volt rá szükségem. I plan a tour to nearest sea. I wanna be resurrect this Excal

Thank you for any help.

Saltshaker said:
-Coil swap mod with new 8" and 10" (not pictured) coils from an excal II
-Remote PP mod with push button switch
-Custom built detachable waterproof headphones. I call them the PB7's
-New orings and silica packs
-Converted recharge pack to alkaline
-New knobs, Plugger shaft and custom decals.

timmysys said:
Very nice machine! Perfect machine hungry for gold now :)

Where i can find information these mods?

I have an old used excal 1000. I hasn't was luck with it. Used couple months and it leaked into the old Orings. I was neewbie in water metal detecting.Until now rested in the corner, there was no need to. I hunt freshwater usually with other machines. Eddig pihent a sarokban, nem volt rá szükségem. I plan a tour to nearest sea. I wanna be resurrect this Excal

Thank you for any help.

I'll tell you what, I'll give you a 100 bucks for the leaky old excal. :) Just kidding,...I dont personally do mods for people with the exception to my friends that I hunt with but most of everything you need to know out there is online by simply searching and reading. Thats how I learned and having some mechanical experience does help too.

Saltshaker said:

I'll tell you what, I'll give you a 100 bucks for the leaky old excal. :) Just kidding,...I dont personally do mods for people with the exception to my friends that I hunt with but most of everything you need to know out there is online by simply searching and reading. Thats how I learned and having some mechanical experience does help too.

I live far from the US, have to do for myself. :)
I used the Buccaneer connectors so far, unfortunately, not strong enough. I'm going to swap them to Apherol connectors. I would be grateful for all close-up shots, which shows the details. The endcaps, the connectors, how they looks. etc..all help for my old blue excal 1000 . :please:
This machine has the least amount of hits, compared to my other metal detectors. He promised many beautiful gold in my dreams. :detecting: