Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Returned WWII Dog Tag

Nancy-IL

This is one I'll never forget.

Here's a little story about a military WWII Dog Tag that I found at an old rental property. My husband (Larry) and I had been hunting this old rental property for some time and near the end of our detecting days for the old place, I found a dog tag. Larry insisted that it was a fake since it was in such good condition. Come to find out, it was real.

I called 4 people named James Behen from all over the United States and no one answered their phone. I had left messages. I did get a call back from one man and we chatted and I sent him a picture of the tag via Email. After viewing the photo of the dog tag, he called back and was almost in tears. It was his dad's and his dad passed away a few years ago. I mailed it to him that same day. I know Mr. James M. Behen Jr. is very happy that he got his father's dog tag and will pass it on to his son James M. Behen III. Finally, after all these years it's found its way back home.

I received a most heartfelt letter (picture below) from Mr. James M. Behen II and he was very excited to have it in his collection of memories from his father.

That's what metal detecting is all about. Lost and found treasures of life!

Thanks,

Nancy (IL)

[attachment 225749 storypic_dogtagreturned.jpg][attachment 225750 storypic_dogtagreturned2.jpg]

That is a heartfelt story, thanks for sharing it honey :inlove:.

:clap:Very nice save & return !! :clap:

I still get a chuckle when I think of what he had said about wondering why his dad was in Eureka, IL when he should have been in Germany. :laugh: HH, Nancy

Nancy, believe me. It means alot for the family member to get that tag. All I have of my grandfather who was a physician/radiologist in the 1920-50' is a aluminum film marker with his name. Kinda like a dog tag. Totally important to me as I am sure the dog tag is to Mr. James M. Behen Jr.
You & Larry did a great thing!!!!

I'm glad someone brought it to the top again as the dog tag was a great find and return. I have a couple of items that belonged to my grandfathers and one that belonged to my great grandmother. They're not worth much in dollars but they're priceless to me and my two daughters, and no doubt James Behen's son and and grand kids feel the same way about the dog tag.

I agree with what Terra and JB said about this post...I hope others read it and realize the importance of what would seem as an insignificant and of no value find, either to be discarded, or flung in the junk jewelry hopper with all the rest...One thing about this hobby that transcends all others, is how what we find has the potential of allowing us to meet people we would have never met otherwise, and returning something thats only precious to them, with what 8 billion people on this Planet, meeting that one out of 8 billion because of what we find is really an extraordinary responsibility/experience...
Mud

Thank you for your kind words. Believe me, I got more out of it (deep in my heart) then anyone will ever know. Again, Thank you, Nancy