Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rifle Range @ camp sites ...:pulltab:

Dirtyray

Has anyone ever found a Rifle Range at a long term camp site ? I have found alot of relics "AND MANY MORE OUT THERE " But no rifle range maybe they didn't use no ammo up because of the lack of ....Whats your thoughts ? HH

I have found two at camps where troops were staged for deployment. Both were near where the railroads ended here in Missouri.

jimmyk.

I know of 3.... all were used by US Troops There were all by hills / embankments that still exist today. Lots and lots and lots of fired minnies. CCH

Not a long term camp, but I have hunted a hillside that was a backstop in a training camp here in Illinois. It was used in the early months of the CW.

Ok Thanks alot i have found a few bullets but now you just helped me alot thanks theres a hill near by ill go check that out at a later time

there were at least 2 at DIV hunts in Culpeper at the winter camps. I only hunted in 1 of them and it was steady digging, walked away after a hour or so with 50 - 60 bullets and there were probably that many digging in the place at the same time with people steady coming and going. this was the side of a hill and the firing line was a ridge line across from it. I think the other one I know of there was a ton of bullets dug there. hill side along side on a farm road. I believe a corps badge was also dug in with the fired bullets or maybe from the firing line,don't know much about that one.

Richard

Richard,

I think I hunted that same hill at DIV near a river at Brandy Rock (a small one) ? The firing line was across the river. I got tired of digging fired minnies (after 30 or so) that were among the tree roots and then I suprisingly dug a lesche digger :surrender: someone had lost a few years back in the same area. Ha. Lead is my favorite color.

CCH

theses bullets i am finding most of them are almost in dropped shape ...Found a little glass bottle that says "Three in one "and on the other edge it says c.f.cole ? i think is what the letters are before cole looks to be older not sure ?

Never found a rifle range myself but have heard of one in my area. Maybe if your finding a lot of drops they were shooting away from that point? I believe the bottle you have found is G.W. Cole 3 in 1 oil? Invented in the 1890's and still produced today by the WD 40 company. I've actually been using it for years around the house. If it's a cork top it is the earlier variety. Nice find!!....HH

In Bermuda Hundrend, in a large camp, on flat land, I got into several holes, in a straight line, that had many many shot bullets in them going to about three feet deep. I found several groups of impacted bullets (bullets that struck each other). There where not firepits, the bullets where shot and not melted. The best I could figure at the time was they set up barrel ls to shoot at. Or maybe a specified area for pickets to discharge their weapons when they returned to camp.

Any ideas from the gallery on that?

Also, I ran across a hill side with multiple shot pistol bullets in Hopewell Virginia.

Finally, in my youth, I got into an area of lots of fired three ringers in a non battle area. After filling my pockets (literally) I took them to a local relic shop and was told they where all modern, I wondered into a more recent black powder range. (I have always wondered about that though, it was many many years ago)