Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rifleman 2-piece button, Sometimes use single Frequency instead of Multi -IQ

Old California

Went back to the area recently pulled a bust quarter and 1846 $5 dollar gold piece, no coins but did dig a few musket balls and a neat Rifleman 2-piece button. Beat up but a nice find, This is the second Rifleman button from here, a good friend found one last month same location same size button.

Soil conditions are tough here, mineralztion effects depth but an issue prevents me from using Multi -IQ. Interference from ground noise forces me to use single freq, even with recovery speed at 8 I'm finding single freq eliminates most noise especially with 40 kHz. Using Multi -IQ is too noisy in this particular area, in other areas Multi -IQ is great and my preferred feature to use.

It's an area I normally use a GPX, top end VLF suffer here so it doesn't surprise me the Equniox Multi-IQ sufferes just the same. But using single freq with (40khz) and recovery at 8 takes away most ground noise, funny how Multi-IQ should be the preferred mode but conditions like these single freq has a edge. If it was anywhere else, Hands down Multi -IQ would be the better mode.

Here's a couple of pictures, Rifleman 2-piece button and a drone shot of the general area we're getting a few nice coins and relics.

Thanks for looking,
Paul

Sweet piece of history saved Paul!!
Interesting report on detecting/soil conditions in your neck of the woods. What numbers are you seeing on your ground balance?
Laplander

Hey Paul, what mode/program are you using? What were your results, noise wise, with the Beach modes?
Congrats on the button.

Wayne

Thanks Laplander,

Can't remember soil reading but it was up there, this area has always given VLF problems even my TDI with larger coils has issues here. GPX has no issues, even with larger coils.

Was going over the Equinox manual last night, page 28 mentions using single frequently may give the Equinox an advantage in some defecting situations.

Mentions noisy environments, interference etc. Where noise cancel is not always effective. Single frequently may pick up less noise, that's exactly what I'm experiencing and under these conditions single freq is giving my equinox an edge.

Increasing recovery helps a lot, proper GB helps but single freq is were I'm getting stability. Its only in weird areas like this, otherwise I'll use Multi-IQ.

Thanks again,
Paul

Thanks Calabash,

Yes, was a treat seeing this button surface yesterday. Damaged but still a site for sore eyes, I'll hit the site again later in the day.

Thanks again,
Paul

Very nice find of the Rifleman's button. These are pretty rare and would be a great addition to any collectors display. :thumbup:

Hello Wayne,

Was using Field 2, recovery 8. Sensitivity between 16 to 18 that was due to increasing recovery.

Ground noises, falsing and no Depth if pushing to high sensitivity or if recovery is too low. That's the trend with other top end, from experience I've learned to use fast recovery, lower sensitivity, and operate with high kHz with other models.

Was reading the Equinox manual last night, page 28 mentions using single freq in conditions like these may have an advantage over Multi-frequency. Dang it's there on page 28, and my Equinox was operating better with single frequently :) Using 40 kHz helped a lot, I'll give it another try later in the day.

Good to hear from you, take care Wayne,
Paul

Hey Paul, I also should have asked if the beach modes helped at all with your ground noise in multifrequency?

Wayne

Thank you Confetrit,

A buddy of mine, found one last month from the same site. His is in great condition, shank and all.

This is my first Rifleman button, was a treat to dig and a sight for sore eyes haven't really dug anything these pass two weeks since the gold coin.

Thanks again,
Paul,

Hello Wayne,

I may have tried beach mode a while back at this site, but only with multi-freq not with single freq.

I'll try it today, beach mode and single freq, will report back here if it help's.

In theory, it should be an improvement. Thanks Wayne for mentioning beach mode, now I can't wait to try these settings :)

Thank you!
Paul

Funny, Paul, I first mentioned beach mode and meant to ask about gold mode (since beach is mainly for salt), but mistakenly asked about beach mode again.
So to rephrase and consolidate my questions, what do you get in multifrequency in beach or gold mode? Does either help reduce noise in multi?
Does either of those provide any improvement in ground noise over your field 2 in single (40Khz) frequency?

Thanks, Paul!

Wayne

Old California said:
Hello Wayne,

I may have tried beach mode a while back at this site, but only with multi-freq not with single freq.

I'll try it today, beach mode and single freq, will report back here if it help's.

In theory, it should be an improvement. Thanks Wayne for mentioning beach mode, now I can't wait to try these settings :)

Thank you!
Paul

I believe Multi is the only Beach frequency option. Page 25 of the User Manual refers.

Of course, you are correct, sir! <g> my bad. But gold mode in single frequency (and multi) should be worth investigating for ground noise mitigation.

Wayne

Hello Wayne,

After a short rain, squeezed in a couple of hours same dirt this particular area is tough to hunt in.

Rain may have even made the soil tougher to hunt in, but I managed find the right settings for the Equinox to operate very well in Gold mode single freq. I've used the Equinox here before with Gold mode, but only with mult-ifrequency and although it worked OK still had too much ground noise. So I went back to field mode and stayed there since.

Last night, tried Gold mode with both multi-frequency and single mode. First with Multi-freq recovery 8, proper GB, noise cancel and started with sensitivity at 18, too high lowed it down to 16 with ground balancing again. Almost there, still had some ground noise but detectable and I could have probably eliminated the noise had I dropped sensitivity even lower. Then switched to single freq 40 khz, proper GB another noise cancel and left sensitivity at 16. Started swinging and immediately noticed ground noise was gone. Wow! Gold mode with Single freq was the right settings for this particular area, from there was able to bump up to 18 sensitivity in some area's but throughout the hunt was between 16 to 18 sens.

The site was once an old trail, I'm thinking due to the area near the old river crossing there may be Coke, Burnt coal left behind by settler's/pioneers camping off the trail. Through out the area, I can see patches of burnt dirt and its been disked for decades spreading it around. This may account for some of the ground noise on the low conductive side, but I'm hearing ground noise even discriminating out coke. Grounds a mystery, very tough to hunt.

Well, looks like Gold mode with single freq, recovery at 8, proper GB, sens 16-18 and noise cancel are the right setting's for this area. Multi-freq would have probably worked but I would have had to drop sensitivity down more. With single freq it'll operate with higher sens.

Thanks Wayne for reminding me to try Gold mode, it works but with single freq for this area.

HH, Paul

Thanks David,

Old buttons are always a great to find, especially older flat or military 2-piece buttons.

Yesterday, was slim pickings so started digging larger iron signals. Dug several horseshoes, couple still had square nails in them. Think I'll dug a few more on next hunt, use them for backyard horseshoe tossing.

Thanks again,
Paul

Thanks El,

Drone flying before or after a hunt is great, here's another drone shot of the area. Look at the hill, somewhere below that hill is the 1858-60's buried town of Vience.

Area is rich with history, thousands of acres farm land.

Hope the pic shows, thanks El!
Paul

Thank you filternoozle,

Yes, true. Appreatite the help, I'll be using beach mode soon hopefully get down to a beach here in the near future. 200 mile drive, maybe next month.

Thanks again,
Paul