Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring Found and Returned

grumpyolman

The man in the picture called me at home, he was in Pacific Beach, Washington, at a resort 150 miles from me, and had seen his platinum ring fall off his hand into the sand on the beach. Wet sand! He dug around for awhile with his friends on hands and knees and nothing. The incoming pushed them out of there. Luckily some of the people he was with triangulated with shore objects where they were. They even got a GPS coordinate and paced a given bearing to a big log on the beach that doesn't move. They came back with a borrowed detector and found nothing. (It probably was a cheapy and couldn't see through the mineralized sand)

He found me in Ringfinders.com and called me and said help! I drove to PB, found where he was staying, went down a long staircase, and he put me on a spot he guaranteed was within a 10 yard radius of where the ring was. I chose to take my White's Dual Field as it was rainining hard, 2" in the last 24 hours, and I know how well the Dual Field does in wet black sand.

I searched for a bout 10 minutes gridding an area that was a high probability area and heard nothing but my boot shoelaces that I swept to make sure the machine was working. The DF was smooth as silk. I moved about 10' closer to the water, using the scoop I got from the guy in the Ukraine, and finally heard something worth digging. I went down into the sand and pulled the plug out. Swept the hole and no sound. Dumped the scoop onto the beach and scanned and heard the sound. The man dropped to his knees and started feeling through the sand and found nothing. I listened again and heard the signal. I took a small scoop right off the top and listened again. The signal was gone. I told him it was in the scoop. He started scraping the sand out of the scoop and screamed, "There it is." He jumped up and laid a bear hug on me that almost knocked me over. You can see in the picture he's a big man. He and his friends hooted and hollered with high fives all around.

He told me I saved his week end and maybe his marriage. The ring had some more meaning to the couple than just a wedding band. He asked me what I wanted for my services. I am listed with Ringfinders.com and even though one can charge what they want it's sort of an unwritten rule that most claim expenses and if the person wants to offer a reward that's fine. And...10% of the reward goes to a charity.

Suffice to say, he paid for my expenses and gave a sizeable reward. The money was a bonus and a non-profit service organization I know will get the 10 %. Just to see the excitement, relief, and joy of recovering the ring was priceless.

A true story with a happy ending. jim

Nice retrieval, can't beat the excitement and the bear hug.

Kind Regards,
Steve

That is a terrific story! Congrats! HH!

Very Nice GM, Great Memory, ................MY Vote.......................Pirate of the Month!

Thanks for all the kind comments. I appreciate it. Even if he had only paid for my fuel, it was worth tons to see his reaction. Fuel is a realistic thing. My truck gets 14.5 MPG and a trip like that ends up costing about $50 just for fuel. Across town...no charge. 150 miles...I don't want to eat that. jim

great story.. man gets his ring.. you get expenses covered,,,, charity gets 10% .....sounds like a win win win all the way around... well done..

n/t