Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Ring with a 12/03 reading

jerseyjim

I found a ring with no markings inside the band. I thought it was sterling silver by the looks of it. I had my CTX set on Furious-coin.The target read 12/03, it is a very smooth silver finish,What can it be?

Jim

Could be stainless steel , could be platinum , could be white gold
"Furious coin" ,,,,:)gotta love it

Probably one of the new stainless alloys for those who can't afford precious metals....
They usually look very similar to silver.
They're almost never marked...other than (sometimes) maker marks.

Get the strongest magnet in your house, and see if it BARELY attracts the ring.'
(sometimes it helps to suspend the ring on a string to hold it near the magnet.)

Stainless alloys can be very slightly magnetic...gold/silver/platinum never are.

Regardless, a ring of any kind is a good find...:thumbup:

mike

You can get an acid test kit on line for about $12-15 (and up for extra un-needed stuff). Also its worth it to make friends with a jeweler and get to talk shop and maybe get free evaluation of finds.

I found a nice mens class ring last year that rang up 12-02 if I remember right.
It was called White Lustrium. It was a mixture of nickel and chromium.
It looked like silver or white gold and confused the hell out of me when I found it.
I kept waving it over my coil to check the numbers because it just didn't make sense to me given the
looks and size of the ring.

The story on the ring was kind of neat too. Turned out it was from my old high school but 2 years after I graduated.
I found the guy who lost it and he lived less then three miles from me.
Small world. He had lost it playing volley ball back in 1984. It was 7" deep in a down town park.

Bryan

Drop it on concrete........ SS has a distinct TING sound to it. Unmarked means it wasnt made in the U.S. What size/weight are we talking...... that can make a difference where it falls as well. You can also do a density metal test........ PLT will be heavier than gold which is mixed with other metals..... not to mention worth more. Also, take a string and a magnet..... SS should show some movement. Some small Alum rings may fall there...... if light in weight. Ti is much higher and most SS with any size will be out of that range.

Dew

jerseyjim said:
I found a ring with no markings inside the band. I thought it was sterling silver by the looks of it. I had my CTX set on Furious-coin.The target read 12/03, it is a very smooth silver finish,What can it be?

Jim

Did you try the magnet test? We are all curious. Could you also post a picture of the ring as well.