Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ROAD TRIP!!! :detecting: Long Post!

My life has been pretty dismal lately... going through a divorce, moving out on my own to a small apartment, and dealing with worsening health problems I had decided to do something I hadn't done in 8 years. Go cruise the country for a week long detecting trip. I had been sort of planning one for a while, but too many things got in the way. I finally cleared out a week and took off.

I decided to drive north and east to hunt sites that I had been to before as well as new ones I had researched. I went through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Connecticut, and Massachusetts searching mostly parks, squares, commons, and the like. I expected tough hunting in most places as I'm sure they had been hit hard. Most sites I tried were pretty beat to death, but I did find a couple good spots and picked up a nice trove of finds for the week.

Weather forecasts were pretty good for the week, but most of it had turned into rainy weather that killed a lot of hunting time. Of the 8 days I was gone, it rained on 5 of them. Here's a short diary of the trip:

Saturday - I drove out to NE Ohio, to hit a few spots for the first day. Most of the places I stopped were soaking wet with rain from earlier and I had a very hard time getting any clean signals from the Explorer. I managed a total of a few wheats was all. I did get a nice silver tiger's eye ring on the last spot of the evening.

Sunday - I took off for the east coast and ended up in Connecticut. I tried a few greens and commons with little luck until I found one in the New Haven area that gave up a few Indian cents and a Barber Dime - the first silver of the trip. I also found a Civil War Token.

Monday - A very frustrating day. I bounced around several different places in Eastern Mass. Rain and one bomb of a site after another left me without even a wheatie. My lower back and legs were not in the best of shape before the trip and by now they were really barking! :veryangry:

Tuesday - The only nice, rain-free day of the week. I started off by driving around more greens and commons. Some were very crowded with people and I didn't even try them. One particular small square in the middle of a busy town looked neat. At first glance it looked like all fill dirt, but something told me I needed to check it out anyway. I decided to try a couple other sites first, and come back in the evening to hit this place when traffic died down. I did very lousy everywhere I went. I got pretty frustrated and I wasn't feeling well, and I was seriously considering ending the trip early and driving home. With about 2 hours of daylight left, I remembered that one little square... I was 40 miles away and I convinced myself that it would be a waste of time. I thought about it... "this whole day has been a waste of time, might as well cap it off in grand style!" So I went back to that square.

There I stood in the middle of it with twilight upon me, metal detector in hand... I could see rocks and tan clay everywhere in the ground - a sure sign of fill dirt. :ranting: This was a long, narrow square and I started skimming along the middle toward one end of it... nothing but constant nulling and falsing - just as I thought. Just then the street lights pop on in the square and my machine goes haywire with interference. I dialed the sensitivity way down to kill a little of it and started to hunt my way back to my car at the far end of the square. I get to the other end and get a clean dime hit about 4-5 inches deep. I bent to dig a clad dime, and noticed that the dirt was dark black and not fill dirt.:O I decided to slow down the pace and listen for any good deep signals. Pretty soon I had a very deep coin hit. I plugged the hole and dug down to about 8" when the probe sang out a high sweet sound. :happy: More dirt comes out and I'm holding a Large Cent in my hand. :thumbup: By now it was dark out and I couldn't make out a date, but I pocketed it and kept hunting.

All of the sudden finds come fast and furious! Indian cents start popping out of the ground. Then I get as sweet of a deep silver signal you will ever hear that locked on quarter! About 8" down up comes a Seated Quarter!:super: I think I pretty much forgot about my aches and pains by now... Right away another silver hit produces a Seated Dime. Then yet another Seated Dime in the hole with 2 Indians! I get to the end of the square and dig a Merc. then I go back over the area and grid it in the opposite direction. The area of good dirt was about 20 X 20 feet. A couple more Indians and a third Seated Dime came out of the ground!:crazy: It was 10 PM by now and I exhausted all the signals I could get. What a swing for the better from a week that was going dismally up until now.

Wednesday - Complete rain out. I started driving back westward... stopped by Cooperstown, NY to visit the baseball hall of fame to kill time, but I felt really ill today and I decided to drive as far as I could to try and get somewhere DRY to hunt tomorrow.

Thursday - Day started off gray and dreary, I hunted a neat little square in NW Pennsylvania. It had very few signals, but the ground looked good. I kept hunting, feeling I had a good chance at something old here. Then the rain started......:ranting: Right away, I find a spot that gives up a few signals - a couple Indians, one of them a fattie, and a neat little silver heart charm. I tried to keep hunting but the rain was too heavy and I gave up for the day.

Friday - I woke up in the morning and flipped on the TV in the motel to see what the weather was doing. I was in the Erie, PA. area and the weather radar showed a few showers around me that was moving away. "Good" I thought, "No rain today! :clap:" I showered, packed up my stuff and took one last look at the TV to see no rain in the area, I opened the door outside and WTF??? POURING DOWN RAIN!!!:ranting: I looked back at the TV and wondered "Where the Hell are they getting that satellite picture from???" I went back inside and layed on the bed and stared at The Weather Channel for 3 hours wondering what to do next.... just drive southward at top speed all day and night until I find SOMEWHERE that isn't being rained on... I decided that I had enough of this trip and packed the car and drove home for St. Louis. When I got around Toledo, OH., I finally drove out of the rain. I stopped at a couple sites in the area, but it was nothing but swamp land. "Enough already, go home." I told myself.

Saturday - Woke up in Joliet, Illinois. My whole body was killing me and I would have paid a thousand dollars to have woken up at home in my bed this morning instead of a rest area in Illinois. I was 4 hours from home, but the day was clear and I decided to hit a few courthouses along the way that I had done good at in the past. The first one gave up a Barber Dime and a couple Indians. The second one was even better...:happy:

I've hunted this second courthouse several times over the years and it had been one of my best sites out of the scores of courthouse squares I've hunted in the past. I've dug a very high ratio of silver quarters and barber coins here before and it is always a fun site to hit. The grass was thick and heavy today, but in the thin spots I got plenty of signals to dig. I ended my trip here with a Barber Quarter, Seated dime, and other goodies. I'll be back when the grass has died down to see what else I can find.

And so my trip is at an end. 3,400 miles of driving and a nice assortment of finds to show for it. I went for quality instead of quantity as the Seated coins outnumbered all the other silver coins, combined!:clapping: This will be my last week long road trip though... It's getting too much for my body to handle. I'll have to stick with the long weekends closer to home in the future.

Thanks for reading this long post... here's the pics of the goodies:

I'll start with one of the few scenery shots I could get inbetween the rain showers... a valley scene in the PA. Alleghenies:

[attachment 213658 23oct11scene.JPG]

This pic shows my 1847 Large Cent, 1860 "Fattie" Indian, and 1863 Civil War Token - "The Flag of Our Union" on the front, "If Anybody Attempts to Tear it Down - Shoot Him on the Spot" around "DIX" on the reverse side.:

[attachment 213659 23oct11copper.JPG]

Here's a dozen Indians... no special dates:

[attachment 213661 23oct11indians.JPG]

And now, the silver... 1856 Seated Quarter 1902-S Barber Quarter (1 year late!) 1872, 1875-S, 1886, 1891 Seated Dimes 1898, 1909 Barber Dimes 1920 Merc Dime Nice Silver ring with Tiger's Eye stone Silver heart charm that opens up.:

[attachment 213663 23oct11silver.JPG]

Last but not least, a few odds and ends - buttons, religious charm, P.R.C. - "Pupils Reading Circle" Pin, a neat token - "Fashion Saloon T. M. Vaughn Prop." on the front and "Good For 12 1/2 Cents in Trade" on the back:

[attachment 213664 23oct11misc.JPG]

Now to heal my aches and pains... and dream about the next trip!:detecting: Take care and HH, Mike.

Good story and some nice finds, That's a good way to clear the head.

Great finds Mike :beers: Nice story too, I wish you had a little less rain and pain to deal with but you still did well.

Nice trip Mike...and nice digs.

Glad you got one more long road trip in before old age tries to slow you down.:bouncy:

I know the feeling...and in fact was just talking about it to my hunting buddy here. We just can't handle the long hour hunts like we did a couple of years ago.

We both want to come to St. Louis and risk our lives hunting in a couple of the "seedy" parks:smoke: one more time this year....but not sure if it will happen.

We always like to have some type of bait to throw the would be mugger's way...but Guvner always seems busy.:biggrin:

GREAT finds. Lot of work and a long trip but you always bring home the goods. Makes you wonder and maybe a bit of discouragement when you travel and just arent hitting much at first. But for me its more about getting out and the challenge of the find thats the pay off. My cup is always half full. Doing beach hunting now you dont always bring home the gold.... but there the sun is shining and i always find something that made it worth the trip.

Dew

Mike --

Enjoyed your story, and your pic of the Alleghenies -- that's my old stomping grounds! :)

Sorry about the troubles in your life right now, and that the weather didn't want to cooperate, but you sure did dig some goodies in between the rain showers and the sites that were "busts."

Love seeing those old coins!

Steve

First of all great finds! I was curiuos about hunting these court house sqaures? Do you have any trouble with the police or anyone else trying to run you off? I have been detecting about fifteen years now and just latly seem to have problems with certain sites. I guess it is all the newbee's in the hobby these days as I never had any problems before. I always back fill my holes and only use hand trowels in open areas no shovels unless I am deep in the woods.

Glad you got away for some hunting Mike. The weather wasn't very
co-operative for you, but you still managed to scare-up some nice
keepers. Thanks for posting your finds. GL. Gold Nuggets :wiggle:

You got some great finds there,I really like those silvers.I've only found 2 indians so far[both pretty bad shape] Hope to find some nice ones like you did .Not a bad haul for the trip.Thought I found a large cent the other day,but turned out to be a one penny from England 1920.Keep up the good finds

its good to see another post from you, great coins, you are truly one with the Explorer, its a shame that you have recurring illness, life's a B---h. when you are young and get married you take the until death us do part serious but, if trouble occurs somewhere down the road such a sickness then seams like that changes a lot of people. I truly wish you all the best, and I will pray for you to have a lot of pain free days. HH:detecting:

Great digs Mike..... looks like it was a fun but tiring trip. I'm thinking that a detecting trip would be very theraputic .... hope it lifted your spirit a little.

Years ago, noone seemed to mind you hunting a courthouse lawn, especially if it sat on the town square. There were the occasional sites that were posted or where I was asked to leave. I never had any bad run-ins with the law and found that they were interested in what I was doing and the things I found.

Lately, though, I've found more and more off-limits sites. I've also visited some squares where I had been hunting for years and suddenly had a law officer asking me to leave. In nearly every case, it was due to someone who was very careless with their digging and tore up the ground. This led to laws being enacted. I used to hunt mostly on the weekend when the county offices were closed, so there was noone available to ask permission. I always looked for signs around the square - especially on the same pole as the "no dogs" - "no skateboarding" - "no alcoholic beverages" and any other restrictive or prohibitive signs for anything prohibiting digging or metal detectors. If I didn't see any, I hunted. I hold the belief that public property is for the PUBLIC - me included.

Some squares have VERY nice lush green lawns, and I don't even bother to invite trouble by being seen on them with a metal detector.

I also am VERY good at not leaving any sign of digging... more than once I had been asked to leave but demonstrated my digging skills and received permission to stay. I tried to not dig in dry ground where I knew the grass would die, and I picked up any loose garbage laying around on the lawn to put in a trash can. I also keep an eye out for any police or deputies driving by and wave at them in a friendly manner... just so that they would see me out there and give them the chance to boot me IF there was any law on the books.

I found that If you inquire about any laws against metal detecting, 75% of the time anyone you asked had no clue and they would make phone calls to find out without much success. In the end, they invariably said "No" because that answer wont get them in trouble with anyone. Very few times, I was told "Sure, go right ahead".

A good bet is if you hunt on one with very few signals to dig, it is most likely OK to hunt it. If you hunt one that has a lot of signals, especially a ton of 2-4" deep clad, It hasn't been hunted in a while for a good reason... that's the site you might want to inquire into - even if there's no signs posted.

Over the years of posting finds, I had mentioned hunting courthouse lawns and received negative PM's or people begging to know which ones I did good at so that they or their buddies would go try it. I quit mentioning "Courthouse" altogether in my posts. I only mention it now because there are virtually no courthouse lawns left out there with a lot of good, easy signals in them. In fact many of my old ones have been renovated and relandscaped and destroyed as far as coinshooting opportunities. In fact there a extremely few sites of ANY kind left out there that hold the number and quality of targets of the ones I hunted in my early Explorer days.

One of my favorite sites to hunt is the town "square", "common", or "green" - with or without a courthouse. The reasons are many... often they are the oldest parcel of land that saw early activity, they see a lot of traffic and activity concentrated in a small area - no wandering around a large open site forever to find a "hot spot", and they often are loaded with iron, trash, and mineralization that kept many detectorists away. I especially like ones with the courthouses, because I love the old architecture of these stately buidings. I often find myself gawking at the building more than concentrating on hunting.

Anyway, I've rambled on quite enough... hope this info answers your questions. HH, Mike.

Thanks for the kind words! Metal detecting has helped me through many tough times in my life and I suspect it is as much of a "healing tonic" for me as many others out there!
Take care and HH, Mike.

You're always welcome to come on a raiding party here... I seem to remember that you usually did pretty good in our parks. Guvner doubles as a good luck charm and body guard. If I can convince him that he'll find something old... or at least watch me dig something old, he's game! :biggrin:
Take care, Mike.

Man wished I'd know you were up this way in Upstate N.Y. as i'm close to the Mass and Conn. borders only 2-4 hrs away. I would have loved to come hang out and hunt with and get to meet you. Would have been a blast I would have drove a ways too to meet up with ya. Got a couple more weeks vacation to use up this year myself and it would have been put to good use this way. Hope all your troubles get in your rear view mirror soon. Best to ya Mike.

Tom

Sorry we couldn't provide you with better weather while you were in the area.
I'm about 50 miles north of Erie and it seems like it's been damp and rainy for
weeks now. I've got a few sites I'd like to work on before the season ends but
I may not get the chance.

Mark in Fredonia, NY :usaf:

Years ago I went to Liverpool NY. I'd checked and found out that I needed a permit to detect. I went to the police station and asked for a permit. They looked at me as if I were from another planet. The officer at the desk had no idea what I was talking about. I had him sign a paper giving me permission. When I was out I saw a lot of police and not one checked to see if I had a permit. Some laws are so vague and ignored it can be hard to figure out whats the right thing to do.