Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Road trip

dewcon4414

I dont travel like i used to metal detecting so i though id take a road trip for a couple of weeks and maybe get a chance to see if i can still dirt hunt and just how the Nox does in old trashy parks. Traveled full time in an RV for about 5 years and did nothing but detect. Parents are aging so i try a trip once a year to see them. This year heading to Muncie Indiana. I used to have a place near there and did a lot of field hunting and old park in Indy and that areas so i know the parks. Weather finally got warm enough for me ..... i dont go anywhere i cant wear shorts and flip flops any more lol. These old parks have been hit a lot ..... i know the ole metal detector clubs used to do an annual visit as a group. So now i have to gather up a little different gear that i used to use...... and learn to be a little less obvious. Im looking forward to really using some of the other modes and playing with the settings from my normal beach ones. May finally use my wireless phones too..... thou they arent as good as the wired waterproof ones i have on it now. If i find anything worth while ill post it........ as well as what i thought about dirt hunting again. Least its in the 80s now..... i may need a long sleeve shirt lol.

Dew

Dew-----I realize you haven't hunted parks in sometime so I'm going to offer up some "advice". Follow this & you will do JUST FINE---great for warding off park "on lookers" also!-----Long dangly earring in the left ear--raisin stuck in right nostril---large (huge) "bop shades", Jungle Jim hat, over size h.p.'s----long sleeve shirt, shorts & flip flops are optional.-----Times have changed (even from the Quartzsite days).-----The key is--you want to blend in as much as possible--not stick out like a nerd or somethin!------I'll send you my address later where you can send the ten bucks for this "free" advice!----HH in those parks!:thumbup:-----------Del
dewcon4414 said:
I dont travel like i used to metal detecting so i though id take a road trip for a couple of weeks and maybe get a chance to see if i can still dirt hunt and just how the Nox does in old trashy parks. Traveled full time in an RV for about 5 years and did nothing but detect. Parents are aging so i try a trip once a year to see them. This year heading to Muncie Indiana. I used to have a place near there and did a lot of field hunting and old park in Indy and that areas so i know the parks. Weather finally got warm enough for me ..... i dont go anywhere i cant wear shorts and flip flops any more lol. These old parks have been hit a lot ..... i know the ole metal detector clubs used to do an annual visit as a group. So now i have to gather up a little different gear that i used to use...... and learn to be a little less obvious. Im looking forward to really using some of the other modes and playing with the settings from my normal beach ones. May finally use my wireless phones too..... thou they arent as good as the wired waterproof ones i have on it now. If i find anything worth while ill post it........ as well as what i thought about dirt hunting again. Least its in the 80s now..... i may need a long sleeve shirt lol.

Dew

Good luck Dew!! Sounds like a fun adventure! Tom

Quartzsite? We made that trip every winter...... love that place. We had a group of friends that had been RVing full time for over 20 years. They would come there to gold mine and detect some of the old spanish mines. We got to know AZ pretty well..... lot of back road 4 wheeling. I had an MXT then and they had a lot of dry mining equipment. Im sure the BLM rules have changed a great deal. But we'd stay 3 months or so. Lot of people there in the winter.

Ive hunted Indy parks...... trust me i no to keep and eye open. Hopefully there wont be a lot of folks...... especially those with new detectors lol. Hard not to stick out ...... old guy digging in the park. Weird is in........ its like when you walk up on a bear...... never look um in the eye..... show no fear and ease away slowly before the questions start lol.

Sounds like fun. :thumbup:

I used to live in that neck of the woods, and really miss the mild soil, and easy diggin's.

Traveling and hunting full time sounds like a blast as well...hope it was as much fun as it sounds.

Be safe, and have a great time!
:)
mike

The One thing I have found to work well in hunted out parks is. Find the trashyest area's and let the Nox out of the cage. Remember Old Guys Rule( or is that drule) I can never remember. :rofl: But above All else Be carefull and have fun.
Grumpy

Something old and something new- reminiscing and an Equinox!! Show us the good stuff and good luck!!
Laplander

Its not a learn experience without a bit of a challenge..... so i likely wont bring the CTX. I hear you on the trashy areas...... i always hunted those just because everyone else wanted to cherry pick deep gold. With our slower machines that was a task. With the Nox recovery speed...... im hoping i wont need a lot of depth. Silver was always hard to find in those parks. If i dont run into a lot of tiny brass...... and aint digging for small gold......maybe i wont need this LARGE pouch i have lol. Im hoping to see what deep targets sound likes in the dirt. I dig a lot of them in the water, but to me the NOX will fool you as to the size of a target. You go over sunglasses...... or a coin and until you get digging you really dont notice the size of the target.... like say on an Xcal or CTX. For me..... ML could have really made it an Xcal upgrade if they would have used the Xcals PP mode. I suspect ill be a little rusty...... so i best find an out of the way place to start my carpet bombing lol. At least i will say the Nox is pretty easy to locate the target.

Dew