Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rock Tumblers

jimi

Any advice on a tumbler for coins? I have been reading a lot of pros and cons on just about every tumbler i review.

Don't cheap out on it. The cheap ones are toys and dont last very long. I have a Lortone and have nothing but good to say about it, although there are some other good brands out there. Don't fill the barrel more than 1/2 full. You only need a handful of aquarium gravel and some water (if you cover the coins youve got too much). Don't use it to try to make the coins look like new. Run them for an hour and dump and rinse. They only need to be clean enough to run through a coin counter without clogging it up from gunk, and to make the coins look like readable coins, nothing more.

If you dig a lot of clad, you really should get one. Toss all that cruddy clad in a coffee can until its full, then run it through and cash it in.

On the contrary , pay a visit to Harbor Freight and get their 3# tumbler for under $50. It comes with a packet of replacement drive belts but you won't need them if you take the time to take the cover off and align the drive belt pulley with the idler pulley so the belt runs straight. 6 years on mine now and probably $5000 in clad cleaned $50 at a time which is about what 3# of clad minus the copper will usually net. Don't use aquarium gravel , it increases your overhead , go get or pick up a can full of driveway 3/8" crusher fines for free and reuse it. If you do get aquarium gravel , remember it's dyed and will leave a tint on the coins if you are going to directly spend them that will draw attention , get white.

I tumble like coins together: clad with clad, pennies with pennies. I think I tumbled my nickles by themselves as well.

I'm a rockhound from way back. Thumblers Tumbler 15# model is the last one you will ever buy.

I’ve got a Thumblers AR12 that does a great job on rocks, brass for reloading and clad .
I like it when something does more than one task

I have the three pound lortone tumbler that has been in use for at least 30 years. Since the coin counter at my credit union (free to members) is very picky about what it takes i give the clad and nickels a real good cleaning.

Lortone..:thumbup:

I have had mine well over 10 years and over $10,000 cleaned in it and still running good as new.

[attachment 355510 clad.jpg]

I have a dual barrel Lortone that is 18 years old without ever breaking a belt. . 75,000 plus coins cleaned and still going strong. I even lent it to a friend and he used it for six years.

Great machines when used properly and following some of the previous sound advice.

Some of the less valuable finds in my farmers presentation boxes, need a wash and brush up and the Barrel Tumbler does just that.

Timing is important and that comes with practice and experience.:)

Happy Hunting,

Jerry.

Harbor Freight has several to pick from If you live near one wait until a 3 day weekend - like Memorial weekend - and they usually give out 25% coupons.

I bought my Lortone single barrel tumbler in the mid 80's and it's still going strong today. I have been thinking of trying stainless steel media to clean my coins, but haven't tried it yet.
The black crap that comes off the coins with aquarium gravel and soap is a nasty mess, but it works good. Another method I tried on common clad coins was using my Dremel tool with a brass brush.
It makes the clad dimes and quarters look almost new in just a few seconds per coin. Be sure to wear safety glasses if you try this because those little brass bristles do come out of the brush.
Any of the tumblers mentioned will work fine, but some may last longer than others.

Roger