Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Roman Coin, Found in Tot Lot

ryanchappell

I Detected this in a tot lot lying on the ground. I would write it off as a fake, but why forge a $10 coin? The closest match I can find is Delmatius, Caesar. (335-337 AD) It registered 12-5 and I pinpointed expecting a speck of can or foil, but hoping for an engagement ring since it was near the teacher's bench at a tot lot.

Wow! That's different. I hope its real also. I'm wondering if someone didn't buy it off one of those "get ancient coins here" deals. In other words they're real, but then the kid lost it???? My never know.

Thanks for the pictures Ryan.

NebTrac

Ross Brown said:
You have to be impressed with those Romans they certainly got around. :rofl:

Remember Veni Vidi Vici! I guess that means tot lots too!

The poor little kid that lost it. It was probably show and tell that day. :)

I have heard of ancient coins being found in the USA before. Coins for around the time of Christ, from middle-eastern countries, and so forth, showing up at the oddest places. The truth is, people for all time, just as up to the present, have collected coins as a "curios" and for souvineers. People now who bring back a coin from other countries (like soldiers returning from WWI and WWII did) are no different from people 200 yrs. ago, or yesterday. And ancient coins have no shortage of showing up at tourist stands in the holy land and so forth, even 100 yrs. ago. Take for example the surge in popularity of Egytology in the 1920s (pyrmaid exploration, and so forth). Ancient coins then, for example, circulated about amongst collectors, and could be bought at road-side tourist markets, even back then. No doubt tourists get a few, and bring them home. So whenever these are found in the USA, they are simply a matter of someone fumble-fingering them back here.

I found one in southwest Kansas a few years ago. You just never know.

roman4.jpg

I golf a lot and use roman coins as ball markers just because it is more interesting. I know I've lost a few over the years...lol. Eventually I may find them again if the course ever closes down. :D

Ive read stories, when Europeans first came to this country, they encountered Native Americans with Roman Coins worn as a necklace.
John