Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Rosie and a Ring with Interesting History

54shooter

I got my second silver coin for 2014 and a really cool ring. It's inscription reads OB STER 1/30 14K RGP. The ring was made by the Otsby Barton Company established in 1879 in Providence Rhode Island. Engelhart Otsby (one of the founders) was killed in the sinking of the Titanic. This seems to have made there jewelry collect able. I have been told that the stone is Tiger Eye, it's in really good shape for being buried for so long. I'm thinking about having it checked out and maybe fixed. If anyone knows about this type ring I'd love to learn more about it.

Excellent finds! Very interesting ring, with lots of eye appeal!:thumbup:

Very nice and unusual ring. I would check to see if you can get a date on that because it could be very collectable especially with that history and provenance!!

54shooter said:
I got my second silver coin for 2014 and a really cool ring. It's inscription reads OB STER 1/30 14K RGP. The ring was made by the Otsby Barton Company established in 1879 in Providence Rhode Island. Engelhart Otsby (one of the founders) was killed in the sinking of the Titanic. This seems to have made there jewelry collect able. I have been told that the stone is Tiger Eye, it's in really good shape for being buried for so long. I'm thinking about having it checked out and maybe fixed. If anyone knows about this type ring I'd love to learn more about it.

If interested here is a link that may be of interest to you. About have way down it gets into the meaning of 1/30 14K RGP.

http://www.yesterdaysgems.com/goldmarks.html

That ring is gorgeous! It has sort of an "Art Deco" look to it, which would put it in the range of 1940 back to about 1910. If I was the betting sort, I would say it was made between those years. You are very fortunate that the Tiger Eye held up so well, as they are not the most durable stone. Please let us know if you find out more details on the ring.

Congrats on a terrific save!

Check this out!!: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-ostby-barton-deco-blue-topaz-sterling-ring
Other than having a blue topaz, this looks a lot like your ring! And, it is, indeed, Art Deco circa 1920!

Edit: Here is another, even closer in design, but, with an agate stone (it is the 66th item in the list): http://www.a2zoffer.com/webstore/clt_images/trocadero/Index.asp?PageNo=4&itemperpage=200

That's a really cool looking old Ring - congrats on the finds !

That ring having been split reminds me of when a hospital had to cut off my
gold wedding band when I was in Nevada a long time ago.

That's probably why the ring was lost at all, it was in someone's pocket.

Looks very high end.

Good find!