Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

RR Tag Score!

I went back to the yard that gave up five large cents last weekend. Spent three hours and only found five wheat backs. A field across the street kept calling my name, so I tracked down the owner and gave it a hunt. Found the nice 1848 large cent, the RR tag and a bell, plus tons of junk. I am getting spoiled on finding large cents.

I googled the Baggage Tag and ended up at the Western and Eastern Treasure Mag. "Ask Mark Parker" page - he said the NY & E RR became the Erie RR in 1862. So it is old and he gave a value of $250-$350!!! That makes this one of my most valuable finds!

HH - BF

That IS a neat find! Can never find too many large cents though. I'm only at 3 coppers for the year so far.
Bruce

:detecting:Nice digs ! I hope I find a large cent at some point in my life !

Man that is a lot of cash for a RR tag!! Congrats on some sweet finds BF!!!

Congratulations on the nice finds!........................................................................................John

Best of luck finding that LC. That goes for you to McDave. Here is a tip for you... Find the oldest maps you can. Then find slightly newer ones. I have 1860 and 1872. Look for residences that disappeared in that time span. If you are lucky there will be minimal modern trash and a couple old keepers. Works for me.
Thanks and HH - BF

The ones I am using are called Plat Maps they are land servery maps. They show large sections marked with numbers (one mile squares), half mile and usually quarter mile lines, plus they show a dot for buildings and have the old land owners names. You should be able to find them at the library or historical society. Around here they have been reprinted, so I can buy new Old maps. The old plat maps were actually bound like a book and usually covered one county per book. They also include illustrations of some homes and larger city maps.

All detectorists need good old maps. Go do some research at the local library and bring along change in case the copies are a quarter each. Historical society folks sometimes get put off by the mention of metal detecting, so you may want to just approach them as a history buff.

Hope this helps, HH - BF

Surely wagon trains and settlers were in OK by the 1850's?

Thanks for the info and great advice, Fang. Here in Oklahoma, the best I've found are Sanborn maps, and I do have them, for the areas I hunt. However, the problem with them is that they only cover the townsites themselves; any lots/houses/structures just outside of town are NOT on these maps. I'm going to have to check into these "Plat Maps."

Thanks much! (And yes, I'll be a "history buff..." :) )

As for wagon trains in Oklahoma? Yes, on a few well-traveled routes...but this area was avoided by and large -- it was all Indian reservations and/or native Indian land prior to the opening of the state for settlement starting in 1889. Prior to 1889, there were VERY few settlers, and not many "travelers," either, unless you didn't value your scalp much... :) The largest number of "white" folk in Oklahoma prior to the 1880s were Army troops/cavalry and their outposts.

Steve

You are surely welcome Steve. I am always glad to help. I forgot to mention that the plat maps also show saw mills, churches, fair grounds and schools. You can figure most of those places have been hit before but hopefully not with an Explorer.
HH - BF

Great find!! I'd love to find a tag like that sometime. I grew up in Dunkirk, NY
and live just outside the city now. Sure didn't expect to see my hometown on the
tag when I opened your post. Congratulations! :yikes:

Mark
Fredonia, NY